• christian2017
    Because people are short-sighted. Mostly as a consequence of being lazy and greedy and stupid. Mostly as a consequence of being overworked, traumatized, under constant threat, etc. Or of bring raised by people who were like that and instilled their own bad habits formed from their traumas on their developing children. Our whole society is mentally ill, as a system not just as a bunch of individuals, and it’s a chicken and egg problem how to fix the system that could help fix the individuals who run the system without first fixing those individuals while they are still part of a broken system.

Best I can hope for is that the few people who are functional enough to work against the systemic dysfunction can over time pull hard enough long enough to pull the whole system back to functionality eventually.
    Pfhorrest

That just about nailed it.
  • Judaka

How can it not be relevant? If you don't know what the "confounding factors of C" are then how can you know whether people aren't trying to address those things? You obviously can't. How can you agree that nobody is addressing A and B when you have no idea what the other person is thinking A and B is. This is becoming quite funny.
  • Shawn
    Not my problem (until it is one)... ignorance?
  • Shawn
    I'd think the causes of suicide are very complex, and not quite as often caused by single events (like divorce, job loss, or incarceration), but by deeper emotional struggles.Hanover

Sorry to get back to you so late; but, my mind works in mysterious ways even to myself.

I don't think it's that complex. See my other thread 'Against Suffering' as an example. If people constantly feel ill or unhappy to the point of suffering, then it seems to me that before C occurs, then we should strive to (not eliminate) or at least lessen the amount of suffering in the world.

What do you or others think?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube