• Pfhorrest
    (Edit to add: The impetus behind this question is reflecting on how at different stages of my life, prior to having actually studied philosophy, if someone asked me "what's your philosophy?" my answer would have been an answer to one or another specific sub-field of philosophy. For example at one point someone asked that question I basically told them that I believed in string theory, taking the question to mean roughly "what is real?". Another time half a decade later someone asked the same question and I basically described utilitarianism, taking the question to mean roughly "what is moral?" So I'm wondering what first comes to mind when most people hear "philosophy").

Feel free to answer this either for yourself personally, or instead for what you imagine the average person would say...
    1. What kind of subject matter comes to mind when people hear the term “philosophy”? (14 votes)
        Meaning-of-life stuff
        29%
        Religious stuff
          0%
        Political stuff
          0%
        Moral or ethical stuff
          7%
        Metaphysical or epistemological stuff
        29%
        Logical or mathematical stuff
          0%
        Artistic or aesthetic stuff
          0%
        Linguistic stuff
          0%
        Other (detail below)
        36%
  • 180 Proof
    'Metaphysical stuff.' (Even if only implicitly.)
  • Qwex
    Thought-process on fundemental nature and non-exclusive time.
  • Wayfarer
    Pretty much all the above but arising from a unitive vision.
  • Pussycat
    It's a dance, really.
  • ernestm
    I studied philosophy at Oxford for three years and tried to figure out what I was meant to have learned for the next 40 years. If there had been degrees in computer science back then, I would still be mowing lawns for a living.
  • 3017amen

I picked 'other'.

Whether folks are conscious of it or not, almost all domains of Philosophy, at some point, asks the question about how that something, got started in the first place. And when asking that question, causation rears its head. Thus, a Deity or a God can't be avoided or invoked, or ignored, etc..

And so the regressive Turtle argument can't be avoided, particularly when using the logic of language that Philosophy is doomed to rely so much on for its truth value (versus, say, phenomenology or cognitive science and/or empirical sciences).

The implicit tip-off's if you will, often include an evasive style of euphemistic double speak that tries to explain the nature of a thing or things, and/or of Being.

An example could be something like this:

Socrates: you cannot even explain the nature of your own conscious existence, nor explain how and why we got here and how the universe came into being, so how can you really know what you know is true?

Plato: because if you take the logic of language and multiply Pi times ∞, then you extrapolate the square root of the hypotenuse into the cognitive process by which all that can be known or unknown, eventually one will be able interpolate the existence of the cosmological order through a positive regression that requires nothing outside itself for it to be and become beyond the paradoxical nature of time itself, and thus can further be thought of why human's temporal finitude is...ad nauseum.

Philosophy student 101/unassuming person: Wow, Plato, you've said a lot of words...!!! They don't really make sense, but because you said so much, you must be right!

Plato: thank you

In all seriousness (as it relates to the OP), if Philosophy itself, cannot answer the questions of self-awareness and the nature of existence (causation), and if most people are misguided into thinking it can, does it simply become an interminable exercise in politics?

Please note that question does not consider all the other obvious benefits of practicing Philosophy itself in everydayness, and the body of knowledge viz the human condition.
  • alcontali
    Feel free to answer this either for yourself personallyPfhorrest

In my opinion, legitimate philosophy is about scanning knowledge databases for surprising or otherwise interesting patterns. In all practical terms, it revolves around the following questions:

Why does something belong in that knowledge database (ontology)?
    How do they justify their knowledge claims in that knowledge database (epistemology)?

Traditionally, logic, metaphysics, and ethics are also considered to be subdivisions in philosophy. To cut a long story short, I think that this view is in all three cases (very) badly flawed.
  • 3017amen
    In my opinion, legitimate philosophy is about scanning knowledge databases for surprising or otherwise interesting patterns.alcontali

Well said. I wish Philosophy would focus more on that... .
  • alcontali
    Well said. I wish Philosophy would focus more on that... .3017amen

And there is also an important unmet need for that.

For example, there are all these scientific publications supposedly backed by experimental testing that absolutely nobody else has ever repeated.

If someone just added the attribute "experiment confirmed" to the metadata of the publication, it would trivially put a stop the existing "citation carousel", which is an incredibly large fraud that plagues the world of scientific publication.

It would certainly raise the bar for pharmaceutical companies to peddle in pure fraud.

OxyContin
    People also search for: Hydrocodone, Fentanyl, Tramadol, <MORE>
    Purdue Pharma sales representatives were instructed to encourage doctors to write prescriptions for larger ...

One could even save a lot of lives just by adding a minuscule piece of metadata to scientific publications concerning the confirmation status of experimental test data.
  • Pfhorrest
    I just added to the OP this for clarification of the intent behind this poll:

The impetus behind this question is reflecting on how at different stages of my life, prior to having actually studied philosophy, if someone asked me "what's your philosophy?" my answer would have been an answer to one or another specific sub-field of philosophy. For example at one point someone asked that question I basically told them that I believed in string theory, taking the question to mean roughly "what is real?". Another time half a decade later someone asked the same question and I basically described utilitarianism, taking the question to mean roughly "what is moral?" So I'm wondering what first comes to mind when most people hear "philosophy".
  • khaled
    I think it's about "Stuff" before we distinguish it into "Physics", "Math", "Ethics" or anything else. Philosophy is just thought, it can be of any kind.
  • god must be atheist
    "Other". Reason stuff.

Philosophy is to be on the side of the reason, the reasonable, the most likelily believable, on the side of valid logical deducing, on the side of coming to logically sound, reasonable conclusions.

Everything else in philosophy is just variations on a theme.

And this has never been a-changing at any time in any point in the course of my long, varied, and tumultuous life.
  • Wittgenstein
    All of them in a way but they all share a common feature.
    Pretentiousness. That's what l always feel secretly when reading philosophy.
  • god must be atheist
    All of them in a way but they all share a common feature.
    Pretentiousness. That's what l always feel secretly when reading philosophy.
    Wittgenstein

I feel pretentiousness in bad philosophy.

In good philosophy I feel there is a tiger.

Socrates was a good philosopher in this sense. I read the Republic and I was surprised by how easy a read it was. (Modern, good translation.) There are bad and good translations of everything.

Pretense comes from being hifolutin, from feeling important, or from feeling one rubs shoulders with the greats. I hope I don't come across as possessing any of these. I believe in independent thought, in freedom to explore, in fearlessness in the face of overwhelmning odds, and in the disrespect of authority.

Mind you, this applies to me in philosophical debate. If it came to street fighting, or staying in jail, fighting in an army as an involuntary recruit, or being employed by a bank, my attitude would be drastically different.
  • Artemis

I said other because strictly speaking philosophy covers three categories: metaphysics, epistemology, and ethics. But that covers a vast, if not all-encompassing territory....

Thing is, that most things that philosophy may not be seeking to answer itself are needed for philosophers to know in order to answer other actually philosophical questions.
  • ChatteringMonkey
    About moral stuff in the broad sense... as in what is living a good life. So morality not necessarily only about how to behave in relation to other people.

I choose other because I specifically wanted to add the linguistic stuff, because that is how philosophy tries to answer the question, by examining and understanding language.
  • Gnomon
    What kind of subject matter comes to mind when people hear the term “philosophy”?Pfhorrest
    I don't know about most people, but for me, Philosophy is simply Rational Inquiry (Science), as contrasted with the automatic un-examined learning of animals and humans. It's an act of information-seeking and validating.

The kind of knowledge sought is both self-understanding and practical environmental knowledge. But since pragmatic Science has taken-over most of the physical inquiry, and Psychology is probing into the Self and Society, what's left for Philosophy is mainly metaphysical subject matter : the spooky stuff that remains mysterious. The moral & mental questions were left to religious philosophers for many millennia. But now we can use the discoveries of physical Science to validate some of the ancient insights that were expressed in emotional and magical terminology. Today, Philosophy is Metaphysical Science.

Metaphysics : Metaphysics is a type of philosophy or study that uses broad concepts to help define reality and our understanding of it. Metaphysical studies generally seek to explain inherent or universal elements of reality which are not easily discovered or experienced in our everyday life.
    https://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/gengloss/metaph-body.html
  • Wittgenstein

Every philosophical position has it's own strength and weaknesses and even if l argue for a certain idea in philosophy. l have an overwhelming feeling of being wrong or uncertain at best.
  • god must be atheist
    Every philosophical position has it's own strength and weaknesses and even if l argue for a certain idea in philosophy. l have an overwhelming feeling of being wrong or uncertain at best.Wittgenstein

Interesting. I've never had that problem. I think it's because in my worldview some philosophies are replete with errors (spiritual worldviews), and some are not (scientific, reason-based world views, determinism, the theory of evolution, the rejection of supernatural and the rejection of absolute belief in the truth as served up by religions texts and scriptures, and such-like.)

I simply refuse to accept the truth of badly constructed arguments that go against the views I hold.
  • Wittgenstein

I never regard religious topics worth debating in the context of philosophy. I just think reasoning doesn't really work there.Those who want to believe will do so and those who don't, won't believe.Besides that, all other topics can be discussed in philosophy without forcing oneself to take a definite position.
  • Pfhorrest
    Those who want to believe will do so and those who don't, won't believeWittgenstein

I get what you mean, but I don't think it's so simple as that. A year ago I was so fraught with existential dread and angst that I found myself searching for anything I could think of that would just make me stop feeling that, including trying to turn to religion after a lifetime of irreligiosity. I wanted to believe... but I couldn't find any arguments that I didn't immediately see holes through, so I couldn't convince myself no matter how I tried.
  • Pfhorrest
    I'm surprised that most of the options have received no votes at all so far. I especially expected that "religious stuff" and "political stuff" would be higher.

Maybe I shouldn't have put an "other" option. Philosophy polls probably shouldn't even have an "other" option, because every philosofan thinks they're a special snowflake with unique uncategorizable opinions.
  • god must be atheist
    I never regard religious topics worth debating in the context of philosophy.Wittgenstein

I haven't been watching your responses, so to know I must ask you: what do you say when someone poses to you an argument that is deitic? that is, invokes god or spirituality? You just leave it unanswered?
  • god must be atheist
    Maybe I shouldn't have put an "other" option. Philosophy polls probably shouldn't even have an "other" option, because every philosofan thinks they're a special snowflake with unique uncategorizable opinions.Pfhorrest

My guess is that then you would get hardly any votes, but an equal number of responses to what this thread gets now.
  • god must be atheist
    I just think reasoning doesn't really work there.Wittgenstein

Actually, reasoning works, but not to the extent of convincing the religious of the wrongness of their thinking. But reasoning still works for me, for you, for many others. Why abandon reason in the face of blind faith? You'd only further the cause of religiosity.
  • jgill
    I still haven't come to a conclusion regarding metaphysics in the realms of science and mathematics. At times I feel that only scientists who are involved in or knowledgeable of research into a particular topic are qualified to delve into the metaphysics of that topic, and at other times I think that this requirement is too stringent.

What do others think? :chin:
  • Wittgenstein

If the other person shares the same fundamental beliefs that l have with regards to the topic. Then,any argument within that constraint will be meaningful. It will be easier to settle the debate. If two people don't share the same fundamental vision. At the very best, they will agree to disagree.

It is still interesting to see the debates as they allow us to see how two people can reach polar opposite conclusions despite both being capable of reasoning .
  • Wittgenstein

Even if we apply reasoning to everything, we will still face problems that will take perhaps a few hundred more years to be resolved. In those matters, we can resort to belief. In matters that don't even regard sense data as a basis for knowledge. It will be reasonable to have faith in that case. Empiricism and reasoning aren't the same in my opinion.

(By sense data as a basis , l mean verification of knowledge via experience of the content of our knowledge. )
  • Tim3003
    To me philosophy is the study of unanswerable questions. It encompasses all subjects therefore. When an answer to a philosophical query is widely accepted that query becomes one of science/psychology/maths etc, rather than philosophy. By way of evidence to naysayers: quote me a question still considered philosophical, whose answer is widley agreed..
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.