• Gregory

Unicorns don't exist, while Aquinas says God has all reality in Him. But it's in a unity, so it's not like unicorn nature in there and human nature is there (in the divine nature). The problem is you can prove the Thomisic God doesn't exist from your first statement. Ugliness is a part of the world yet God constantly regenerates the world. So he creates ugliness anew every moment. Would Aquinas call this "unfitting" for God? The world is suppose to reflect God who IS his happiness, yet we see ugliness, despair, and evils apart from moral evils. These fall on God, not man
  • Deleted User
    Unicorns don't exist, while Aquinas says God has all reality in Him. But it's in a unity, so it's not like unicorn nature in there and human nature is there (in the divine nature). The problem is you can prove the Thomisic God doesn't exist from your first statement. Ugliness is a part of the world yet God constantly regenerates the world. So he creates ugliness anew every moment. Would Aquinas call this "unfitting" for God? The world is suppose to reflect God who IS his happiness, yet we see ugliness, despair, and evils apart from moral evils. These fall on God, not manGregory

The problem here, bud, is that there is no God. Not in the sense that there is not enough evidence to conclude as much, but in the sense that there is no evidence whatsoever to concluded as much, and all evidence that does exist for explanation of reality, are all demonstrations of self-emergence and operation. That's why it's like a unicorn, they made it up, dude. They've been making stuff up like it for 1000's of years. It's all fabricated. You are here to reflect you, not God. That's why you think your thought, enjoy your tastes, cherish your memories, and understand sensory data computation from your brain. Ugliness is part of the world specifically because of thinking not grounded in the value of human consciousness. I kindly invite you to read my most recent post on something the philosophical community needs to discuss and comment. I'd like to see what someone of your thought has to say in response.
  • Gregory

Tradition lives in us in a way that defies science. These ideas we get from the past define what we think when we rationalize about the world and it's source. When we think of God, we turn towards that past and imagine one being as the first father. Ultimately though, we are alone in the world but good can win out
  • Gregory

I agree that the world is matter and this is all there is. But I believe the matter in the world is mystical. So we can speak of love and camaraderie in terms of scientific language but it doesn't make much sense. The hard part is seeing matter as matter while holding on to the mystical side of this world as we face things and situations a good God would not allow
  • Deleted User
    But I believe the matter in the world is mystical.Gregory

What does this mean? You believe something for which no evidence suggest, and no reason would provide you to believe.

The hard part is seeing matter as matter while holding on to the mystical side of this world as we face things and situations a good God would not allowGregory

He wouldn't, good is a human concept, and humanity is its source and origin.
  • Gregory

If you look at ivory and see matter while i see something mystical, we can both be called materialist while only one has the their eyes in focus. The link between the logical category of matter and your experience of it might not be what you think. Do you believe in free will? Matter can sense, reason, and choose so of course it's a mystical substance
  • Deleted User
    If you look at ivory and see matter while i see something mystical, we can both be called materialist while only one has the their eyes in focusGregory

I see. You and I are in accord. Yes, the emergent universe is beyond wonderous, but it is wonderous in its own majesty. For what it is. As far as logic, yes, you're correct. That's why if a logical position is valid, doesn't mean it's sound. To be sound, it must correspond to reality.

Do you believe in free will? Matter can sense, reason, and choose so of course it's a mystical substanceGregory

I believe will constitutes all emergent aspects of the human brain and the body through which it operates, controls, and intitiats behavior, computation, and produces consciousness. And this process is not an ihibited process for the duration of its existence. So, yes, in a manner.
  • Wayfarer
    I believe in a single substance, the mother of all forces, which engenders the life and consciousness of everything, visible and invisible. I believe in a single Lord, biology, the unique son of the substance of the world, born from the mother substance after centuries of random shuffling of material: the encapsulated reflection of the great material sea, the epiphenomenal light of primordial darkness, the false reflection of the real world, consubstantial with the mother-substance. It is he who has descended from the shadows of the mother-substance, he who has taken on flesh from matter, he who plays at the illusion of thought from flesh, he who has become the Human Brain. I acknowledge a single method for the elimination of error, thus ultimately eliminating myself and returning to the mother substance. Amen.

(Paraphrased from the Book of the Tarot)
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.