• Emind
    Hi guys!

I've been thinking a bit about the different conceptions of god and how they relate to each other (aka personal vs transpersonal). I wanted to share a short podcast episode I made about it and see what you think.

Let me know your opinion!
  • I like sushi
    ‘God’ is a phenomenon of humans. It’s merely a term to appropriate ‘being’/‘existence’. Just like there is no ‘pure cat’ there is no ‘pure god’, we use such items as means of navigation - ‘god’ in this sense is an extremely abstract concept, whereas ‘cat’, is much more tangible and universally agreeable.

Generally speaking pantheons express certain human characteristics in regard to how we interact ‘in the world’. The hard sciences don’t/can’t deal with this directly.
  • Nils Loc
    A fun literary riff about "God" can be found in J.L. Borges grim short story of the Library of Babel.

In the story God represents the desire (a hopeful hypothesis) for a directory/cipher of the library itself (the universe), that would help one to either decode its gibberish or navigate toward a center of meaning. The only ciphers of the library of gibberish are its denizens, bound by the limitations of their own language and the banal recurrence of the library's geography.

There is much desire for understanding what can't be really be understood, what really isn't a desire for understanding but for something else (bliss, peace, a cessation of anxiety?). The subject's creation (a meaning as footing or anchor) then fills the void, whether as a solitary or collaborative act.
  • Qmeri
    Edit: I was drunk. Was not a very useful comment from me, so I removed it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.