• Lori
    I'm aware that this question might veer on the side of stupid and overly self-involved. It might not belong on a philosophy forum. Thank you for reading. Delete if not appropraite.

I'm questioning my existence. Not in a suicidal way. In a philosophical way -- maybe in a pragmatic way. I want to learn or know how live life when I have egoic,distorted, or limiting ways of viewing life.

Maybe it's too much technology or too much information overload. Maybe it's a lack of community. But lately "my life" feels empty and I need to do something or think differently about living. Perhaps because I think there is no need for meaning in life I am growing more apathetic.

Current state of affairs:

1. I'm in the middle range of intelligence. It's hard to find people who are on my level. Either they are too smart or too dumb. I'm aware that this is ego or a defense mechanism. I want to be more "sophisticated" in my thinking and knowledge. I know intelligence is pretty much fixed and there isn't much I can do about it, still I long to be more wise.

2. I enjoy reading about other people's lives. Not celebrities -- I prefer memoirs about "regular" people, novels and essays. I have been a "seeker" for much of my adult life. I have been on spiritual paths. Currently the path has stopped and I feel stuck is some sort of limbo of not feeling smart enough for life and thinking people all around me are too dumb. I know this is ego -- maybe I want to feel unique. How I think about things are making me miserable. I stopped seeking which is good. There is no need to seek when you already know. I think I "know" but my thinking has been getting in the way lately.

3. I don't have much of a life. I have no "passions". I question whether if activities are worth doing. I don't have much interest in creative outlets. I have no hobbies at the moment other than reading. I used to do a lot of exercise. Maybe my lack of exercise of late is making me depressed. I'm tired of thinking about my body and how to make it look better. I question if my hobbies are done out of sheer enjoyment or some kind of seeking behavior in order to improve.

4. I don't talk about "my life" with people. I find it's boring to discuss myself. I have a hate-hate relationship with social media. I have Facebook but I haven't posted in years. I find posting anything about myself is boring or self-involved.

5. I have an aversion to a lot of people. If I see a hint of cruelty, mean-spiritedness, racism, moralizing, or anything I deem rude, crude, or shallow, I cut them from my list of potential friends and avoid. I will be cordial if they are acquaintances or coworkers. Still, I would never share anything about my life.

6. I have very few friends or people I trust or like. I have a hard time connecting with people. I have a hard time with vulnerability. I have a hard time with inviting anyone to do anything. I probably fear rejection. I fear that I'm bothering people or my proposed activity is boring. I realize it's rude not to return invitations and I have lost friends this way. Friends don't hear from me. I have had friend groups and communities before (running clubs, yoga, work, hobbies) but I always find excuses not to connect or stick around. I end up thinking people are too shallow, too religious, too crazy. I do have a handful of close friends (they are mostly friends from childhood) and a spouse who is wonderful.

7. Conversely, I can be very open and accepting of people who are patients or clients or people I don't know well. I see their humanity. I have acceptance that people, including myself, are flawed. They deserve my care and attention. I approach with love and non-judgment. I have no antagonism or agenda. Maybe it's because these people are not in my daily life. Our encounters are short.

8. I have negative feelings surrounding striving or trying to improve myself. I question my motives. I would like to do things for the sake of pure enjoyment and sometimes I do -- bake, cook, walk, yoga, watching movies, reading, but lately I think about how depressed I am (not sad, not self-loathing, not anxious, but apathetic). What is the point of doing anything? In my younger years I did things in order to enhance myself and only felt worse.

Thanks for reading all of this self-involved mess. What is my problem and have you felt this way before? How to view life differently and with more enjoyment?
  • Brett
    How old are you? Maybe you mentioned it but I can’t see it.
  • Lori
    While these seem like the problems of youth, I am old. 47, female. I feel like I'm having a midlife crisis maybe? I don't feel like there is a crisis per se. I don't fear aging or death.

I fear a lack of enthusiasm and lack of connection yet I have fallen into a mundane existence of late. I think about getting older and truly connecting with others might never happen for me. People would probably consider me "normal". They would say I am "outgoing" "fun" "nice". It is true that I have an underlying optimism and cheerful demeanor, however, I still feel apathetic. I have fear of mediocrity which is interesting because I am not exceptional in any way. I am an Average Jane. I come from a poor background. My parents did not graduate from highschool. My mother was a teenager when she had me. I have a mediocre education and went to public school, community college, and a state university. I have no talents and that's okay. I feel like I have done a lot of work to help myself over the years (therapy, spirituality, reading, introspection) along with maturing with age, yet I still have some resistance to life and to people.

I realize all of this whining is ridiculous as I type.
  • Brett

The reason I asked your age is because it seems more like the condition of someone older, not young. It sounds like the feelings of people recently retired, mainly men, but that’s because I talk with other men more than women that age, I suppose. Not much fun, I imagine, feeling that way at 47.

I’m generally reluctant to hand out advise, and I wouldn’t take on board too much of what you might read on this forum. Despite the nature of the forum I wouldn’t expect too much in terms of intelligence here.

It’s interesting that you’ve put so much time into intentional development, a “ seeker” as you call it. I’ve always thought of those efforts and programs as suggestive of something, as if it’s something to be acquired by numbers, but for some reasons not always clearly understood.

I don’t think your feelings about others are so unusual, even though you seem to wish they were different. Maybe you’ve expected too much of yourself and your only just realising what your own life is about; its just like everyone else. Living with less seems so worthy and aspirational but it’s quite an adjustment. The idea of ‘being here now’ is such a different thing to actually live than aspire to.
  • Lori
    Thank you Brett.

As a "seeker" I would not say I engaged in a lot of new age stuff or law of attraction type things. I am more interested in wisdom. I'm green in the philosophy department. I have a very rudimentary level of knowledge -- I would say close to none. I listen to a philosophy podcast (BBC) and read a tiny bit.

I feel like I know how to live but don't practice living. Once you have some wisdom it can never disappear. But then sometimes I am afraid that I don't know --that there is much to learn and I'm doing it wrong. Last year, and for several years, I was more content and in more acceptance but lately I have let my thoughts and mind overwhelm me. I need to get over myself.

Anyway, all blather. Thank you again for commenting on my post and I agree that "being here now" is more difficult in practice.
  • Brett

yet I still have some resistance to life and to people.Lori

Sometimes it’s a bit surprising to find out who we are, as if there’s some danger in accepting that. So instead we try to overcome it with ideas about who we should be. There’s so much talk about individuality and yet very few seem prepared to live it. Those who actually do are regarded as slightly eccentric. I find those people to be very interesting. Just who are we meant to be, even as spouse or parents, is there only one way to do things, to how we chose to live?

http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/www/Info/oddballs.html
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.