• No One
    Do you agree that , there are some goals that are good for you than some other goals....

I mean , goal 'A' will not be good for you as goal 'B' will be.

Considering that some goals are better for you than other goals that you set for yourself , should we ask, what is goal of life that is better than all other goals ?

A goal that is perfect in sense ......
    A goal that in sense , is all good ......

now .... What would be that goal?..
  • T Clark
    Do you agree that , there are some goals that are good for you than some other goals....No One

The best goal is no goal. Act from your heart and go where that takes you. Lao Tzu says:

The Master, by residing in the Tao,
    sets an example for all beings.
    Because he doesn't display himself,
    people can see his light.
    Because he has nothing to prove,
    people can trust his words.
    Because he doesn't know who he is,
    people recognize themselves in him.
    Because he has no goal in mind,
    everything he does succeeds.

Lao Tzu is my man.
  • Amalac

My preferred view on this matter is that of Aristotle: the ultimate goal of life is happiness, and all the other goals only have value in so far as they help us get closer to happiness.
  • No One
    The best goal is no goal. Act from your heart and go where that takes you.T Clark
    Underlying purposes of all goals of all humans is to achieve happiness. So according to Lao Tzu this is the best way to achieve happiness.
    I think this question can be reshaped to ; "What is the best way to achieve happiness?"
  • No One
    Yeah but what are those actions that bring us closest to happiness? Lao Tzu thinks that it is "no action".
  • Amalac

Well, your question was:

what is goal of life that is better than all other goals ?

A goal that is perfect in sense ......
    A goal that in sense , is all good ......

now .... What would be that goal?..
    No One

... And I gave an answer to it: happiness

“How to achieve happiness?” is a different and more difficult question.

I think it's a personal matter though, so I don't see what interest there could be in me telling you what makes me happy.
  • Jack Cummins

I think that goals in life probably fluctuate at various points in our lives. When I was working in mental health care, I remember part of my work involved sitting down with people and helping them to identify their goals in order to work towards them.

On a personal level, I have a lot to sort out on a practical level, including getting a job, and many mundane aspects of life. However, on a deeper level than finding work to support myself financially and even the fulfilment of basic pleasures I think that one of my main goals is always creativity. I am not saying that the social aspects of life aren't important but having creative outlets is essential for me.
  • T Clark
    Underlying purposes of all goals of all humans is to achieve happiness. So according to Lao Tzu this is the best way to achieve happiness.No One

Lao Tzu is kind of down on achievement of any sort. For me, happiness, to the extent that it is anything, is acting in accordance with our true natures.

Maybe I'm heading in a direction that is not where you had in mind. I don't want to distract from your goal in this discussion.
  • No One
    That is correct Amalac, But I wonder is knowledge the greatest pleasure? What might be the greatest pleasure?
  • No One
    For me, happiness, to the extent that it is anything, is acting in accordance with our true natures.T Clark

What are True Natures Clark?
  • Amalac
    For me, it's not. For practical purposes I'd say: often “knowledge” can be quite painful.

But then again, being a sceptic in the theory I don't even know if I know anything or not.
  • No One
    Jack do you think that Knowledge is the best path , where you encounter happiness and satisfaction and joy , along the way of complexity?
  • T Clark
    What are True NaturesNo One

Good question, but there's no way you can make me answer it.
  • Anand-Haqq
    ´

. So ... Your question is ...

. Is there a Goal in Life ... and if there is ... What is it, then?

. My question to you ... is ... - "Why should Life have a Goal?" ... "Why should one be after a goal in Life?"

. Can't you just live in the present ... ? Is it so hard to be purposeless ... ? Is there a way to live without living in here-now?

. Life is present ... Life is here ... Life is now ... Here is the only place ... and ... Now the only time ...

. There is no tomorrow ... the tomorrow never comes ... Why is it so ? ... because ... when the "tomorrow" comes ... it comes ... as the present ... Do you understand, friend? ... it comes as the present ... because ... it is a present ... from nature to you ... and you just perceive the tomorrow ... when you're in it ... and when you are in it ... it's present ...

. Therefore ... one who thinks in terms of goals ... is always procrastinating Life ... In fact ... he never lives ... He can has ... though ... beautiful dreams ... while alive ... but he never lives ... he pretends to lives ...

. Goals are always inexistent ... because where goals are ... Life is not ...

. Goals are the biggest lie ... supported by your beloved society ... so your attention is always in the after ... never in the now ... So you can be always asleep ... while alive ... Always working for the stupid society ... while your Life ... while your energy ... is sliding off through your hands ... like water ... slides off through your hands ... You're never the owner of your Life ... The society is ...

. There is no goal in Life, friend ... Life as such ... is purposeless ...

. It doesn't mean ... that ... Life is meaningless ... No! ... Not at all, please do not misunderstand me! ... This is where all the so-called existentialists were wrong ... as ... Sartre or Nietzsche ...

. Life is like a seed ... in itself ... it is not enough. You will have to work hard to the seed sprouts, becomes a tree and comes to bloom ...
  • No One
    haha , why is that? come on , a short answer maybe?
  • T Clark
    haha , why is that? come on , a short answer maybe?No One

Ow, ow, stop twisting my arm. Ok, ok, but you're not going to like it. What is my true nature? I know it when I see it.
  • Amalac
    As for “what might be the greatest pleasure”, we should first ask: for whom? Some people would say food, others sex, others art, others spirituality, others wisdom, etc.
  • No One
    I know it when I see itT Clark

words don't show up to give that feeling a verbal dress.
  • T Clark
    words don't show up to give that feeling a verbal dress.No One

I said you wouldn't like it.
  • No One
    Exactly ... they all are sources. I think there might be a standard or some other way to compare their strengths with each other......... A " Happy-o-meter" or something.
  • No One
    Okay I might not like it, but Clark I'll try to understand it.
  • Amalac

I think there might be a standard or some other way to compare their strengths with each other......... A " Happy-o-meter" or something.No One

Unfortunately, that seems impossible.

We know intuitively that some sensations are much better than others, but if we were asked: How much better is this sensation compared to that other sensation?

We wouldn't even know how to begin to answer that question, since we don't have the tools to measure such a thing (though perhaps in the future neuroscience could produce such a tool, I doubt it).And sometimes we don't even know if a sensation is superior to another.
  • No One
    I don't remember exactly who but there was some philosopher who developed a Formula to do it (Measure Happiness). He would ask you some questions (like Yes Or No) but still .... As you said Amalac , It is nearly impossible to compare the intensity of sensations among many different humans.
  • Apollodorus
    I think this question can be reshaped to ; "What is the best way to achieve happiness?"No One

Didn't Mao Zedong settle that issue? I think it depends on how we define "happiness" in the first place. And then "best ways to achieve" it.
  • No One
    so its individual? ... I was thinking about something universal, that all humans share.
  • No One
    I think the understanding of purpose is more important then the goal. Goals can be either be good or bad, just depends on our thinking, I think the question to ask is to have what kind of goals? ... Shouldn't humans look forward to future in a more positive way? A way that flows equal to the Taoist approach, but still makes you look ahead.
  • TheMadFool
    The best goal is no goalT Clark

:rofl: The best Taoist is no Taoist!? :chin:

Jokes aside,

1. Best goal: Don't cause problems.

2. Better goal: Solve problems

3. Good goal: Find problems (to solve)

4. Bad goal: Hide problems

5. Worse goal: Aggravate problems

6. Worst goal: Cause problems

My two bitcoins worth.
  • Jack Cummins

I think that knowledge is important, but it depends what we do with the knowledge. It is a bit difficult to narrow goals down to the main one and, so, my choice of creativity probably includes knowledge, because that involves the creative interpretation of information into knowledge. I believe that creativity probably includes most aspects of our existence.
  • Apollodorus
    I was thinking about something universal, that all humans share.No One

Yes, but humans being all different, it will a bit difficult to find that. Of course you can try.
  • Anand-Haqq

. "Shouldn't humans look forward to future in a more positive way?"

. Why?

. Why do you say that?

. Are you aware about the implications of that simple idea, friend ... ?

. Why look forward to future in a more positive way ... ?

. I would like you to seriously meditate over that thought of yours ... because ... that thought is a trap from the ego ... it is made and cunningly produced by the society ... so you can forget about the misery of the present ... and dream beautiful dreams about a positive future ... that's impossible friend ...

. That thought ... Had led and has been leading to ... uninterrupted religious wars ... and that religious people ... talk about Love and Peace ... but all of them live for war ... have you ever noticed that?

. It is from that thought that all the religions are born ... Please do not accept what I'm saying ...

. You meditate deep into it ... do not think about it ... you just make a three hundred and sixty degrees turn on your being ... you reach to your innermost core ... and you'll see it as a fact ... Religion is the opium of the masses ... Karl Marx was not wrong about it ... it was a good insight of him ... at least the theologian religion ... But he was not a meditator ... Hence his misery ... Hence his violence ... Hence his revolutionary ideas ...

. A truth ... only ... comes from a Truth ... And ... A lie ... only ...comes from a lie ... friend ... That was one of the insights from Vyasa on the Upanishads ...

. So if your present is a Lie ... it cannot ... turn to a Truth ... in some moment of the future ... that's impossible ... friend ...

. Now - the only time; Here - the only place ... right?!

. The future is that which is not yet ... and that which is not yet ... will be perfect ... just ... if that which is ... is perfect ... because the tomorrow is the outcome of the today ... do you understand ... ?

. So ... if you're a so-called poor in spirit ... if you live miserably while alive ... you'll not ... reach to Heaven ...

. Because ... at the first place ... There is no Heaven and there is no Hell ... God is Here-Now ... you're God, I'm God ... When you reach to self-realization ... you recognize that you're perfect the way you're ... you don't need any improvement ... you're God itself ... How God needs improvements ... ?

. While alive ... you should make your Life a Heaven ...

. Yes ... the society tells you that you cannot be the way you are ... All the schools and universities say that ... in one way or another ...

. But the society does not want you to be a human being ... because ... to be human is to be free ...

. Society wants you to be a slave ... In a tremendous subtle way sure ... So subtle ... that ... one is unaware about it ... The society gives you entertainment ... but cannot give you pure happinness ... it gives you respectability ... Still ... one do not respect oneself ... and ... therefore ... others ... for the pure sake ... of respect.

. Happiness is something that comes from your innermost core ... nobody can give you ...
  • god must be atheist

Goal of a lesser value: I must tie my shoelaces.
    Goal of a greater value: I must pay my mortgage payment before its due date.

Goal of a lesser value: I must put on the record, "Vico Torriani's Greatest Hits."
    Goal of a greater value: I have to pick the kids up from daycare.

There are literally trillions of goal-pairs where one goal is of a lesser value than the other one.

The Toronto Maple Leaf hockey team bough a new goalie from Venezuella. During his first game, you could hear the announcer on TV: "The Bay City Rollers' Forward winds up... he shoots... But Jesus SAVES!!"

One goal that was not achieved. Next period, the forward shot a goal in the net. In the third period, seven goals were shot, and Leafs lost to the Rollers 24:4.

Which one of the goals was less, and which one was more valuable?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment