• Shawn
    By which, I mean a federally tasked agency investigating misconduct and corruption on behalf of the Consitution and the American people?

This is a question that's been ringing in my head for the past month or so, and with the growing debacle that the Trump Presidency is, I feel like such an agency would be able to tackle such issues in not such a public and traumatizing manner?

In case you think I'm making this up, here's the Wiki on internal affairs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_affairs_(law_enforcement)

The internal affairs refers to a division of a law enforcement agency that investigates incidents and possible suspicions of law-breaking and professional misconduct attributed to officers on the force. It is thus a mechanism of limited self-governance, "a police force policing itself". In different systems, internal affairs can go by other names such as Internal Investigations Division (usually referred to as IID), professional standards, inspectorate general, Office of Professional Responsibility, Internal Review Board, or similar.

Emblem of the Internal Affairs Unit, National Police Corps (Spain)
    Due to the sensitive nature of this responsibility, in many departments, officers employed in an internal affairs unit are not in a detective command but report directly to the agency's chief, or to a board of civilian police commissioners.

Internal affairs investigators are bound by stringent rules when conducting their investigations. In California, the Peace Officers Bill of Rights (POBR) is a mandated set of rules found in the Government Code.[1]
    Internal Affairs, Wiki

Now, some might argue that we have the FBI. Yet, the FBI, as far as I'm aware, seems to have been castrated in power and reach after Hoover, Nixon, and some such.

Anyway, sorry if the argument is half-baked; but, in matters of misconduct, which Trump has been using as a means to portray an anti-establishment modus operandi, it's just outrageous.
  • ssu
    I'm not so sure about this.

You see, when I, as Finn, make an investment in a Finnish Mutual Fund that invests in Finnish companies, I have to sign a paper and declare that I'm not an American citizen and that I'm not paying taxes to the US. And that I'm not in a politically high place or a relative of someone that is in a politically high place. Thankfully I don't have to state anymore that I have not participated in the Holocaust (even if I was born in the 1970's, I did have to declare this kind of thing in the 90's thanks to US laws)

So I guess there is American supervision on these issues and the US has a quite long arm in these cases.
  • Wayfarer
    By which, I mean a federally tasked agency investigating misconduct and corruption on behalf of the Constitution and the American people?Wallows

Because, if there were such an organ, Trump would have Barr take it over and turn it on the FBI, Justice, CIA, and State Department, to 'prove' that the Mueller investigation was a hoax cooked up by the Ukrainians and the Democrats to sully Trump's reputation.

That's why.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet