• deletedmemberMD
    I want to get into the very essence of Intuition and try and build a case to explain this phenomenon once and for all.

What does intuition mean to you though? I've got what my answer is or what I think it might be but I'm curious to know yours.

Do you think it might be possible that what is intuitive to you isn't intuitive to me? If so, why? Thank you for the constructive points and I am looking forward to hearing more :)
    — Mark Dennis

I meant intuitive as in particles can be seen as having a definite trajectory even when they aren't observed, as in one particle doesn't follow several trajectories simultaneously, as in things do not behave in a fundamentally different way than what we're used to observe.

Sure it's possible that what is intuitive to me isn't intuitive to you, however it seems to me that most people find it unintuitive to imagine a single particle following two different trajectories at the same time, or to imagine two twins each aging more quickly than the other when they are in relative motion and yet when they reunite one has aged more than the other, actually I believe I have yet to find one person who finds that stuff intuitive :)
    @leo

In my discussions in quantum mechanics with @leo I started to re-examine some previously unshared thoughts on the matter.

My response to Leo;
    Sure it's possible that what is intuitive to me isn't intuitive to you, however it seems to me that most people find it unintuitive to imagine a single particle following two different trajectories at the same time, or to imagine two twins each aging more quickly than the other when they are in relative motion and yet when they reunite one has aged more than the other, actually I believe I have yet to find one person who finds that stuff intuitive
    — leo

Well, what I percieve to be intuition; is right now telling me to point out that obviously two twins age differently when apart. Time is relative. If one spends time in a mountainous region or is an astronaut that has done a round trip to the moon what did you think was going to happen?

I think this is where we are getting into something really fascinating! Join me in an intuition thread later!

So why do I Intuitively feel that our very understanding of the nature of intuition is wrong?

I feel the answer lies in memory, recall and the different levels of forgetting.

Firstly, what does it mean to forget something? It means we cannot recall knowledge or data which we have previously learned. We cannot access our memory of our pasts with perfect recall at all times. We also have varying degrees of individual proficiency in what we can recall and recollect. Then we have latent inhibition and varying degrees of that. Most of us detail orientated polymaths here have low latent inhibition. What this means is that in the present we are consciously aware of more detail and take more in; varying degrees of consistency in individuality here too. I'm not trying to aggrandize any trait here, merely describe it. Pros and cons to low, high and moderate levels of latent inhibition.

So how does this all relate to what intuition is? If you have come across enough knowledge on the factors of intuition then perhaps an intuitive answer will appear? For me; Intuition that something is wrong or right or about anything is reliance on the influence of forgotten memory. Have you ever felt that an argument is intuitively right? Well that is probably because you've forgotten the key premise of the belief in your conclusion. Armed with this interpretation of intuition, we can maybe see what it really is and know how to react to it.

Intuition is best met with an internal demand for research into ones own memory. Scour your diaries, reread what you have read, relearn an old subject. Find the hidden and forgotten premise to your conclusion and don't forget to check behind the fridge. If you lose something, it's nearly always there.

So what does it mean when something feels unintuitive? It simply means you are not being influenced by forgotten knowledge but have no directions that seem immediately appropriate.

Gravities existence is intuitive because everyone has observed and felt falling down.

This explanation also firmly wrenches intuition from the grasps of magical thinking about the phenemenon. It should not however be taken to mean intuition is infallible. Conclusions can still be wrong just because you have found the hidden premise. You've probably only found one hidden premise and if you haven't experienced the others no amount of intuition will help you, so ask around until someone else finds the other hidden premises.

This is also my argument for why what is intuitive to one person is not intuitive to another because it relates very specifically to individual memory. This also should help show the utility of this interpretation. If you are arguing with someone and they say they intuitively feel you are wrong or right then you should help them try and identify the hidden premise as it may be constructive to you.
  • Pantagruel
    So I would say that intuition is a function of innate capacity and knowledge. Some people are just born intuitive in certain domains. I liken this to being born with especially keen eyesight. Now, some things (in quantum mechanics) are "counter-intuitive." But this is more of a generalization. I see no reason why an intuitive person couldn't intuit such states of affairs. Quantum physicists must do.

More important, I think is the sense of intuition where one immerses oneself in a subject, and eventually pieces start falling into place. This is essentially the mystery of scientific discovery - where did the hypothesis come from? One must have at least an inkling of where one is going, a question to be answered.
  • deletedmemberMD
    So I would say that intuition is a function of innate capacity and knowledge. Some people are just born intuitive in certain domains. I liken this to being born with especially keen eyesight. Now, some things (in quantum mechanics) are "counter-intuitive." But this is more of a generalization. I see no reason why an intuitive person couldn't intuit such states of affairs. Quantum physicists must do.

More important, I think is the sense of intuition where one immerses oneself in a subject, and eventually pieces start falling into place. This is essentially the mystery of scientific discovery - where did the hypothesis come from? One must have at least an inkling of where one is going, a question to be answered.
    Pantagruel

I couldn't agree more. Even parent intuition is easy to explain from this view point. How many times a day am I afflicted with the memories of the dangers of the world and that the people I love are out there in it I wonder? Is it intuition on the occasions that I am right that someone has been harmed? Or did intuition make me check all the times I was wrong too?

Glad to have you contribute here! :)
  • Possibility
    I think that when we process information consciously, using rational thought and reasoning, that’s only a fraction of the information we integrate at any moment. Sensory information interacts with various internal systems to create affect as well as thought, and while most of it we can categorise in relation to emotional or rational concepts, there are some affect-related information or tangential thoughts that don’t quite fit into a neat and ordered conceptual system. Some people learn to discard this information as irrational or insignificant - it certainly messes with the sense of order and rationality many people expect from their reality. Others are less bothered by the ‘fuzziness’ or fluidity of their conceptual systems - either in general or in relation to a particular area of interest (including those we love). Like the hoarder who tells themselves, ‘I might need that later’, they unconsciously integrate the data as ‘potential’ or ‘possible’ information much longer than the significance of its connection to memory would last. If the same or correlated information keeps cropping up in this way, eventually we’ll be aware that we ‘know’ this already, somehow...

The mathematical side of physics is often difficult for me to grasp, but the first time someone took the time to explain quantum mechanics to me, it just seemed to make sense. I was intuitively familiar with the ‘fuzziness’ or uncertainty of the world, the potentiality wave and the concept of both/and. Suddenly, the world as I had always conceptualised it had a scientific explanation - it wasn’t just in my head. I think most quantum physicists find it a comfort to focus on the mathematics (Shut Up and Calculate), as if they’re aiming to bring some sort of order and rationality to this ‘irrational’ information they would otherwise discard.

I am of the belief that some minds tend towards seeing the world as particle, while others tend towards seeing the wave. I think we should find the courage to better understand the world as both.
  • khaled
    I think a physiological answer to this question has mostly been found. I used to read a lot of neuroscience books a few years ago but completely forgot everything sorry. A psychological explanation of what intuition is can be found in "thinking fast and slow" (with some neurology).
  • deletedmemberMD
    Thank you for the suggestion I'll check that out! My own explanation is to go down the psychology and neuroscience route too.
  • leo

Sorry Mark Dennis, I have just realized that you have been banned and I never got around to reply to your thread.

I really like your idea of linking intuition with forgotten memory, things we have seen but that we have forgotten, however there remains a tiny connection with what we have forgotten and the feeling of intuition is what happens when that connection gets strong enough that we get a glimpse of it, we don’t know where it came from because it was there the whole time but we didn’t see it.

You may have heard of the idea that we existed before we were born in another form, that in that form we could see and understand much more, but that when we came to inhabit a human body we became limited by the constraints of that body and we forgot almost everything. Where does this idea come from? Many people have had it, as an intuition, but then if it is itself a forgotten memory it may actually be the truth.

Sure there are intuitions that turn out to be wrong, but then later on we come to find out that they were actually right, and that we had thought they were wrong because we had false beliefs that led us to misinterpret what we observed, or because there are things we hadn’t yet seen.

So I do believe that intuition shows us part of the truth, it doesn’t show us the whole truth so we may interpret it incorrectly, but it’s something that is important to take into account. I have plenty of personal evidence of intuitions that turned out to be correct against all odds, or that turned out to be correct even though I was convinced they were wrong for a long time.
  • ovdtogt
    Intuition: What is it?
    So I do believe that intuition shows us part of the truth, it doesn’t show us the whole truth so we may interpret it incorrectly,leo

Intuition is your emotions letting you know what it is feeling.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.