• Shawn
    Don't know if schadenfreude is warranted here; but, Jordan Peterson is struggling with a dependancy to clonazepam due to his wife's cancer and perhaps other things. Clonazepam is an insidious drug that treats anxiety disorders, yet, the withdrawals from it aren't worth the hassle.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/writing-integrity/201910/casting-stones-jordan-peterson-seeking-treatment

It is no secret that while social media can be a wonderful world of learning and connection, it can equally be an ignorant cesspool that serves as a window into the darker corners of human nature.

Recently, Canadian clinical psychologist Jordan B. Peterson—author of the international bestseller 12 Rules For Life: An Antidote to Chaos—along with his daughter, decided to bravely pre-empt a foreshadowed character assassination by disclosing on social media that he had sought treatment for clonazepam dependence at a rehabilitation center.

Peterson had been prescribed clonazepam—a type of anti-anxiety medication of the benzodiazepine class—to help manage the stressors associated with the recent devastating news of his wife’s cancer diagnosis.

When it comes to the addiction and mental health treatment world, benzodiazepines can be thought of as wolves in sheep’s clothing, with the exception of their beneficial use in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal. If benzodiazepines are used repeatedly and temporarily to avoid or cope with uncomfortable emotions, thoughts, and memories, their use could lead to the development or worsening of psychiatric symptoms, such as anxiety.

They are not first-line treatments for anxiety disorders, and clinical guidelines recommend that their use be restricted to the short term, due to the high potential for both dependency and addiction, as well as other side effects, including severe withdrawal symptoms, sedation, cognitive impairment, and the potential for death.

Full disclosure: I am a clinical psychologist who specializes in addiction, and I bear witness on a regular basis to the literal hell that is benzodiazepine dependence and the effects of addiction-related stigma. Also, Peterson was my undergraduate research supervisor at the University of Toronto approximately 15 years ago, and we have maintained some contact since that time. It is precisely for these reasons that I have decided to shine a light on the stigma directed towards him; it is often in those with whom we have a personal connection that the effects of stigma are particularly salient.
    Jonathan N. Stea Ph.D., R. Psych

What are your thoughts on this matter? Hypocrisy, or something else?
  • Shawn
    The reason for posting this is that I used to be prescribed lorazepam, another addictive chemical from the benzodiazepine class. Long story short, these drugs are wonderous for quelling anxiety symptoms in the short run, yet, as the article states, dependency on their effect is notorious and people sometimes just can't quit them. I went through back spazzing, psychological torture, that ended me up in a 5150 center. Thankfully, the police intervened and I went to an emergency center. In my entirety of dealing with drugs, I don't think anything compares to a long term habitual benzodiazepine induced withdrawal.

So, at the one end, I find it paradoxical, that someone like Jordan Peterson, with his wealth of knowledge on psychology, would need this drug, while on the other end, it shows his humanity towards the suffering of his wife.

Personally, I would rather be put on Buspar, or Nardil to cope with stressors; but, nobody is infallible and I suppose with all the bluster and gusto that Jordan Peterson has portrayed, he is still a human.
  • A Seagull

I don't know how long ago the story in the link was posted, but Peterson admitted in a video ages ago that he took a daily dose of anti-depressants. He said that it worked for him, but also said that they don't work for everyone. Personally I would steer well clear of any psycho active drugs, but as a wise man once said (well sang actually) " whatever gets you through the night/your life it's all right'.

But I was surprised that such an articulate person as Peterson could take anti depressant drugs yet also be so clear thinking.

It must also be extremely stressful to put oneself out there with original ideas that are refuted with such opprobrium.
  • Shawn
    Personally I would steer well clear of any psycho active drugs, but as a wise man once said (well sang actually) " whatever gets you through the night/your life it's all right'.A Seagull

Yeah, there's a sort of stigma associated in workplaces and elsewhere towards psychoactive compounds like antidepressants, though this stigma is being lessened by the sheer amount of people who need these medications. As if the person were a misperceived potential liability to the company in terms of job performance, and such.

Anyway, I haven't paid too much attention to Peterson and think the guy is a brilliant psychologist.

Here's his take on antidepressants:

• Michael
    What are your thoughts on this matter? Hypocrisy, or something else?Wallows

Has he said something about drugs/rehab/mental illness?
  • Shawn

Well, he is a psychologist that specializes in addiction, if I'm not mistaken, so it would be strange if he didn't talk about those issues?
  • Michael
    Well, he is a psychologist that specializes in addiction, if I'm not mistaken, so it would be strange if he didn't talk about those issues?Wallows

But did he say anything to disparage those with addictions, etc.? Just curious why you suggest that there's some element of hypocrisy here.
  • Shawn
    But did he say anything to disparage those with addictions, etc.? Just curious why you suggest that there's some element of hypocrisy here.Michael

I'm not really well-read in Jordan Peterson, although I do plan on buying his 12 Rules, soon. I don't believe he spoke badly about addicts, nor do I feel any urge to defend a poor statement made, which I redact.

Though, I suppose, you might be nitpicking, as I elaborated on why I posted this in my second post, and my puzzlement with his use of a high dependency forming drug such as benzodiazapines.
  • Spirit12
    This makes me sad. Peterson is interesting and well meaning man. I don't agree with him on lots of things. His beliefs are interesting and some valuable when properly expanded, given context.

Remind me of when myself prescribed thorazine. Now that was a hell. Drippy droopy it make me.
  • Maw
    who gives a shit
  • Changeling
    The Cunt deserves every ounce of his troubles.
  • Brett
    Do we have a deficit of empathy?
  • Shawn

Hmm. :chin:
  • Changeling
    Jordan Peterson did/does. Now he can rot.
  • Maw
    Do we have a deficit of empathy?Brett

Jordan Peterson once said that Feminist defend Islam because of an unconscious desire to be subjugated, so maybe this guys sucks and no one should care what happens to him
  • Changeling
    Is that Twat still down and out?
  • Noble Dust
    The Cunt deserves every ounce of his troubles.Evil

who gives a shitMaw

no one should care what happens to himMaw

Is that Twat still down and out?Evil

What exactly makes people hate Jordan Peterson enough to say these things about... any human being?
  • Noble Dust

Here's a piece of music that reminds me that no one is damned; no one is un-human. :heart:

• Changeling

You neglected to mention my 'now he can rot' observation
  • Noble Dust

I neglected to quote it, but the sentiment "now he can rot" is included.
  • Changeling
    it's a phrase used to express strong agreement
  • Noble Dust

Ah. So you agree that your sentiment "now he can rot" is included in the list of sentiments about Peterson I quoted that illustrate that people are willing to treat Peterson as un-human.
  • Noble Dust

Damn, Clapton can "rot". (Historically, not as a human being).
  • Changeling
    well, I used it flippantly - so no.
  • Noble Dust

I'm too naive, as always. To treat any human being the way you treat Peterson demonstrates that you have no sense of what it means to be human. No human deserves the fire and brimstone you're throwing; I feel like I'm back in the church I grew up in.
  • Changeling
    now you know how I felt whenever I unintentionally listened to that piece of shit.
  • Noble Dust

No, I don't know how you felt.
  • praxis
    What are your thoughts on this matter?Wallows

Simply that his 12 Rules for Life must be crap and he’s laughing all the way to the bank (with a little help from the Clonazepam).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.