• Shawn
    I've long disliked treating the unconscious as some duality with respect to the tripartite dichotomy formulated by Freud.

But... as some of you, or let's be honest, all of you have had dreams where things just seem to go against their will.

This night I had some of the most erotic dreams. Basically, for some reason, I was one of those male performers just performing away. People were clapping at my performance. I woke up traumatized at the outright violation of myself with respect to myself.

Laugh all you want, it was not a dream I would like to have had I been 18 or younger... or not?

In one of my old threads, I talked about dream characters having a mind of their own. Even in the most lucid states of a dream, there just exists this fine boundary between solipsism of the mind with respect to itself (dream characters that simply don't have a "will") and this realism of the dream environment (independent wills manifesting).

How does one go about explaining this violation of one's own will in dreams, which is the ego and super-ego's desire??
  • Sir2u
    How does one go about explaining this violation of one's own will in dreams,Wallows

Why would you want to explain it, it was only a dream.

But some consider dreams to be the realization of actions that a person would like to perform but could not happen in real life. Sort of a fulfilling of unconscious desires.
  • Shawn
    Dreams are scary... I have really good dream recall, and am on good terms with my unconscious. It lets me know this in my dreams. Most of the times it gives me what I want, and am happy.
  • Noble Dust
    Jung is under-appreciated.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.