• abcd
    Hi. I was reading Plato: Complete Works (edited by John M. Cooper) years ago and came across a sentence/sentences like this: The masses believe whatever they hear on the street. The aim of education is to raise us above that level so that we don’t believe whatever we hear on the street.
    Of course this is my paraphrase, but I don’t think I stray from the original text too much. Now I don’t remember the exact words of Plato or which work these words come from. I’m writing something now and I really want to quote this; so could someone help me find where it is? If you don’t know where the quote comes from, I’d also appreciate similar quotes from Plato or other famous philosophers or intellectuals. Thank you.
    Please don’t delete this post because this is not just a help-me post. I’ll discuss this quote with others after locating it. Thank you so much.
  • Shawn
    Probably in The Republic.
  • I like sushi
    Yeah, stinks of The Republic.

Maybe 389-390? At a glance that at least mentions the masses.

Maybe it’s near the back in Democracy? 556 onward
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.