• ModernPAS
    I’ve been wondering about the connection between conceptions of “christology" in Christian theology on the one hand and arguments for mind-body dualism on the other for awhile. I’ve been thinking about the philosophical/theological paradoxes that arise from 1) thinking that Jesus is both fully human and fully divine on the one hand and from 2) thinking that there are two basic substances in the universe that are separate yet interact with one another. I’d like some feedback on how I’ve been thinking about the topic.

Here are some relevant links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind%E2%80%93body_dualism

Let’s begin by talking about christology. In most Christian theological traditions, Jesus is typically seen as both fully human and fully divine. He is fully human in that he is the physical son of God, but he is fully divine in that he is the incarnation of God himself, who is divine. A “low” christology emphasizes Jesus’ nature as a physical being who is born, lives, suffers, and dies as a mortal human being, in order to emphasize Jesus’ suffering for the redemption of all people. A “high” christology emphasizes Jesus’ nature as a divine being—God himself—who is capable of performing miracles, and in whom one must place one’s faith in order to find moral and spiritual salvation and eternal life as an immaterial being after the Second Coming. However, whether one emphasizes low or high christology, the fact remains that Jesus is supposed to be both a purely material, spatio-temporal being on the one hand and a purely immaterial, non-temporal-non-spatial being on the other.

The connection between christology and mind-body dualism should become apparent. According to mind-body dualism, mind and body are two separate substances that possess utterly distinct properties. On the one hand, mind is immaterial and possesses immaterial properties such as thought and reason. On the other hand, the body is material and possesses material properties such as mass and extension in time and space. The mind-body problem arises when we consider that mind and body are supposed to interact. Mental events appear to cause material events: my intention to drink a cup of coffee causes me to drink a physical cup of coffee. Physical events appear to cause mental events: if I bump my knee on a coffee table, then I experience the mental event of pain and the desire for the pain to stop. The problem is that although these two substances appear to interact, it does not seem possible that they can interact if interaction itself requires a physical location, while mind has no location. Christology seems to have the mind-body problem at its core, since it concerns how Jesus is both fully material and fully immaterial.

What is the solution to this problem, both for mind-body dualism and for “low”/“high” christology? If we accept either materialism or idealism, don’t we lose the duality that is needed for thinking of Jesus as both human and divine? But how is it possible that he is both human and divine if we accept mind-body dualism? Do we simply appeal to faith in a God for whom there is allegedly no mind-body problem? Can we give a satisfying philosophical explanation for this problem without resorting to faith?

I’d like to hear feedback from others. Thanks.
  • CS Stewart
    The problem is that although these two substances appear to interact, it does not seem possible that they can interact if interaction itself requires a physical location, while mind has no locationModernPAS

I do not think that interaction itself requires a physical location, or that the mind has no location whatsoever. While you have paralleled the mind/body discussion with the Christology of Jesus's ontology, it seems you have assumed the implausibility of metaphysical connections to physical entities. Certainly, "if interaction itself requires a physical location" and the mind has no location or is a concept reducible to physical phenomena, then problems arise. The former appears to be a question of the metaphysical nature of the mind, while the latter is a materialist conclusion. Your comment then, seems to be a mix of paradigms; it seems to me that interaction only requires a purely physical location according to a materialist interpretation, and if the mind exists, then it has some sort of location, albeit non-physical.

However, whether one emphasizes low or high christology, the fact remains that Jesus is supposed to be both a purely material, spatio-temporal being on the one hand and a purely immaterial, non-temporal-non-spatial being on the other.ModernPAS

The mind-body problem arises when we consider that mind and body are supposed to interact.ModernPAS

While you acknowledge the field of Christology, it does appear that the central issue you are raising deals with the mind/body relationship. I will attempt to address this connection, while leaving the deeper theological discussions of "high/low" interpretations of Christ's divinity beyond the scope of this response.

It seems to me that if a convincing argument for the mind's existence is constructed, then the dilemma you have raised can be addressed. If one can reasonably posit a mind/self/soul, and establish this metaphysical entity as an integral interconnection with a physical entity (e.g., the body), then there remains only a theological debate of degrees within Christology. Jesus can be both man (physical) and God (metaphysical) just as you and I can be both homo sapien (physical) and self (metaphysical).

The problem is that although these two substances appear to interact, it does not seem possible that they can interact if interaction itself requires a physical location, while mind has no location.ModernPAS

When you say "interaction itself requires a physical location", you imply physicalism. For, according to this view, all things can be reduced to material phenomena. Thus, "the mind has no location" because it is an illusion.

But how is it possible that he is both human and divine if we accept mind-body dualism? Do we simply appeal to faith in a God for whom there is allegedly no mind-body problem?ModernPAS

Where you ask the above question, there seems to be no dilemma according to dualism. If one were to subscribe to physicalism as noted above, then faith in God is incoherent. However, assuming the existence of the mind and its integral connection to the body, then it follows logically that Jesus constitutes both a physical and metaphysical identity. The question of Jesus' divinity is not then a breach of reason; it is a question of theology.

I will briefly lay out my responses in argument forms; first, in terms of physicalism.

1. If physicalism is true, then minds have no location or existence.
    2. Physicalism is true.
    3. Minds do not exist, and therefore have no location. (1,2 MP)

Now, according to Dualism:

a. If dualism is true, then minds exist and have a metaphysical location.
    b. Dualism is true.
    c. Minds exist and have a metaphysical location. (1,2 MP)

I. If minds have a location, then they can be integrally connected to physical entities.
    II. Minds have a location.
    III. Minds can be integrally connected to physical entities. (1,2 MP)

A. If minds can be integrally connected to physical entities, then it is possible for Jesus to be physical and metaphysical.
    B. Minds can be integrally connected to physical entities.
    C. It is possible for Jesus to be physical and metaphysical. (1,2 MP)

From this point, you get into discussions of theism versus non-theism, which is beyond the scope of this response. However, you can see that clarifying the discussion according to the entailments of physicalism and dualism opens up the logical possibility for mind/body interconnection, and potentially, even the coherence of Jesus' human/divinity dynamic.
  • OmniscientNihilist
    According to mind-body dualism, mind and body are two separate substances that possess utterly distinct properties.ModernPAS

mind(thoughts dimension) and body(physical dimension) are both aspects of the one consciousness. intrinsic difference and intrinsic separation is an illusion
  • hachit
    there is the mind, the body and the soul. The mind and the body are material, the soul is not. Note this is limited to some denomination, so some will not agree with this.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment