• intrapersona
    I think I know what things are in my everyday experience of life. I know what is going on and what it all is, I see people driving, people buying coffee, people working and they are all using technology to transmit iotas of their inner life (supposing they actual exists and are not just merely background sensory data).

But then I realize that I really don't know anything at all. What it is all made of? if it even has a substance. Where it is located? if it even has a location. How it is giving me sensory information?

I have just labelled certain physical objects as single entities and inferred their meaning from what my past experience tells me to. This doesn't qualify that I know anything about what is going on beyond my sensory experience or that sensory experience reflects what might be going on, if anything is going on beyond what I perceive at all!.

In other words, scientists have equations for reality but they really don't describe reality in itself. The equations describe our brain's interpretation of sensory phenomena. The brain can't accurately depict reality and therefor neither can our equations. However they can interpret it to the extent of manipulation (atom smashers) but never will we understand a complete picture of the universe, it is far too complex for our finite glob of tissue to fathom.

Now that I have given up naive realism, I just feel disassociated from what a real and truthful reality would feel like. It is lonely, and somewhat frightening. :-O Yet, I am here still clinging on to what little meaning of the world (or rather my sensory experience) I have left.

"I, a stranger and afraid,
    In a world I never made."
    - A. E. Housman
  • wuliheron
    Academics tend to be in complete denial that there is more in heaven and earth than dreamt of in their philosophies and, like ants climbing the Empire State building, they refuse to accept the possibility that they can never grasp the reality of their situation by merely climbing higher. Yet, the worst possible tragedy is to become afraid of the light, the worst possible tyranny is denying the evidence of our own senses and sensibilities, and the worst possible failure is losing faith in our own journey. To be aware we must first embrace our own ignorance, to have a friend we must embrace being a friend, to appreciate more of the humor and beauty in life we must first embrace them in ourselves, to actualize our full potential we must be willing to embrace our own flaws, and to truly live we must first embrace life more fully. For no man is an island nor can he be the measure of all things lest he embrace virtue as its own reward and wonder as the beginning of wisdom knowing that the only thing he can know is that he knows nothing.
  • Terrapin Station
    "What is this experience?"intrapersona

I don't know--mental degradation maybe? I don't know why so many people are seduced into believing solipsism more or less.
  • intrapersona
    I don't know--mental degradation maybe? I don't know why so many people are seduced into believing solipsism more or less.Terrapin Station

Just because you can't see beyond the confines of an ordinary mind! I bet you believe in atheism and naive realism too right? close-minded, stuffy people usually do. As Whiliheron said " they refuse to accept the possibility that they can never grasp the reality of their situation by merely climbing higher"
  • Terrapin Station

We already know about your self-assessed superiority, don't we?
  • intrapersona
    We already know about your self-assessed superiority, don't we?Terrapin Station

That is why you joined philosophy forums didn't you? So you can post endless one sentence garbage posts that are merely opinion and aren't backed with any descriptions of any kind.

There is a word called "elaboration", you don't have it.

Just look at wuliherons post and then look at yours. It doesn't take a genius to see where the value lies there.
  • Terrapin Station
    So you do think that arguments are determined by word count then? The more words it has, the more of an argument it is?
  • intrapersona
    So you do think that arguments are determined by word count then? The more words it has, the more of an argument it is?Terrapin Station

In most circumstances yes, the more words the more discriptive it is and the more descriptive it is the more ideas can be acted out in favor or against an argument.

If i just say to you "I like this" and don't provide reasons why... then obviously it has less value than the latter. What are you in primary school? How can you not realize that?

Obviously occam's razor does not apply here as we are merely talking about descriptions OVER one line sentences that state just a mere opinion.

Anyway, I don't want to keep having these rubbish conversations with you. You are bait and bait and never even provide. You are like the worst co-worker or friend I can imagine. Full of opinion, with no substance, nor any effort to expound on ideas.
  • intrapersona
    Academics tend to be in complete denial that there is more in heaven and earth than dreamt of in their philosophies and, like ants climbing the Empire State building, they refuse to accept the possibility that they can never grasp the reality of their situation by merely climbing higher. Yet, the worst possible tragedy is to become afraid of the light, the worst possible tyranny is denying the evidence of our own senses and sensibilities, and the worst possible failure is losing faith in our own journey. To be aware we must first embrace our own ignorance, to have a friend we must embrace being a friend, to appreciate more of the humor and beauty in life we must first embrace them in ourselves, to actualize our full potential we must be willing to embrace our own flaws, and to truly live we must first embrace life more fully. For no man is an island nor can he be the measure of all things lest he embrace virtue as its own reward and wonder as the beginning of wisdom knowing that the only thing he can know is that he knows nothing.wuliheron

Beautiful post wuliheron! I like how you adjudicate the value of acceptance first as a means to overcoming any instance of disparity.
  • Terrapin Station
    In most circumstances yes,intrapersona
    Haha okay. I at least admire that you're admitting that you believe that.

. . . then obviously it has less value than the latter.intrapersona
    That would only be obvious to someone who places more value on "reasons" for liking something and who doesn't realize that not everyone (relatively) values the same things different amounts.

I don't want to keep having these rubbish conversations with you.intrapersona

I'd rather you didn't keep having rubbish conversations with me, too, but I don't expect anything more than that, frankly, especially given the incredible attitude. There is some entertainment value in your self-assessment versus what you actually provide, though.
  • Wayfarer
    Now that I have given up naive realism, I just feel disassociated from what a real and truthful reality would feel like. It is lonely, and somewhat frightening. :-O Yet, I am here still clinging on to what little meaning of the world (or rather my sensory experience) I have left.intrapersona

Hang in and keep studying, this is a sign of progress. Now you're getting close to real scepticism.
  • jkop
    Now that I have given up naive realismintrapersona

Lol did you ever stop rejecting naive realism?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.