• Shawn
    Can two beings from sperate possible worlds fall in love out of the set of all possible worlds?

Is there anything preventing them from meeting one another in a plane of existence that intersects both possible worlds?

And if not, how would you describe such a plane that intersects both possible worlds?
  • Pfhorrest
    "Possible worlds" in the way that Lewis uses the term are definitionally causally isolated, so nothing from one can meet or in any other way interact with or observe anything from another.

If you mean the phrase in a different way, you'll have to elaborate.
  • ZhouBoTong
    Can two beings from sperate possible worlds fall in love out of the set of all possible worlds?Wallows

Does "worlds" mean "planets"? or do you mean separate worlds like Romeo and Juliet were from different worlds? Just in case, I have also seen people using "worlds" to mean "universe."

I have a tendency to be very over-literal in my interpretations. I may be missing something?

Now that I see @Pfhorrest's response, I realize I entirely missed the "possible" part. Once we are discussing "possible" worlds, isn't anything possible?
  • Shawn
    If you mean the phrase in a different way, you'll have to elaborate.Pfhorrest

That's what's I'm hoping someone else could do as I am unable to.
  • Shawn
    Now that I see Pfhorrest's response, I realize I entirely missed the "possible" part. Once we are discussing "possible" worlds, isn't anything possible?ZhouBoTong

What do you mean?
  • Shawn
    That's what's I'm hoping someone else could do as I am unable to.Wallows

Actually, that's a shitpost never mind.

Here's my take. Accessibility relations between possible worlds are guaranteed by counterfactual definitiveness. So, the hinge here, is what guarantees the condition that accessibility relations between possible worlds are maintained?
  • Grre
    I agree, with possible-whats to define the limits of plausibility. The definition of impossible is 'not able to occur or exist' so then we are faced with the primary issue of what is "possible' for the definition of worlds, and then, what is "possible" for the love of two involved.

I got science fiction vibes at first. Now I'm just thinking inter-species connectivity. The love I share with my cat is something beyond sublime and sacrosanct, than the love I even have with my family or close human partners.
  • Shawn
    I got science fiction vibes at first. Now I'm just thinking inter-species connectivity.Grre

How about interdimensional love across possible worlds? I can't elaborate without coming off as a loon; but, something like that over the past week happened to me... There go the wide eyes.

Anyway, in my experience, when there is a shift for love in a Platonic sense, there's an overwhelming sense of exhilaration in this connectivity factor.
  • Grre

Across worlds in what way? Connecting with the worlds of nature? The deeper earth? Or the stars?

My eyes are wide, but mostly because I only got 2 hours of sleep last night and currently am sitting in class with a good 7 hours of law studying to do following this.
  • Shawn
    Across worlds in what way?Grre

It requires a vague understanding of quantum dynamics and entanglement. But, let me break this down.

There's something esoteric about consciousness, no? I mean, you studied it? Now, let's assume that we have two beings across possible worlds, that just won't accept anything less than perfection in love. They just want to find the best possible candidate across possible worlds, that would allow them to do so.

Breaking down the sci-fi part, there's a plane of existence, (think of it as overcoming a mountain, though it instead of over it), that allows these two beings to meet, across the set of all possible worlds. I don't quite understand this plane of existence that would allow transworld connectivity/communion; but, let's just assume it's true, no? I really don't understand on what basis this would be true; but, you've dabbled into psychs, right? Know where this is going?
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Breaking down the sci-fi part, there's a plane of existence, (think of it as overcoming a mountain, though it instead of over it), that allows these two beings to meet, across the set of all possible worlds.Wallows

"Across the set of all possible worlds" implies necessity. So that meeting was necessitated. This is sometimes called "fate", which determinists take for granted. To meet was their fate.
  • Shawn

So, that implies some governing plane where such determinations can occur, no?
  • Metaphysician Undercover

I don't know how it could be a plane, but I don't believe in fate and determinism, so I've never given it much thought.
  • ZhouBoTong
    What do you mean?Wallows

"Possible" matches closest with "imaginary". I was thinking of worlds that do exist, not those that might.
  • Old Brian
    The question suggests perhaps two contexts. Can the two separated individuals somehow connect, and can the two individuals from completely different origins fall in love.

The answer to each is 'perhaps'.
    If the realms of existence overlap in some manner, perhaps they might connect and communicate.
    If the individuals, despite their different origins, discover an appealing way forward together, they perhaps might fall in love.

So why the question?
  • Shawn
    So why the question?Old Brian

Because the love I experienced/felt/hallucinated/dreamed of was so real that it makes me want to either die (something she told me that would allow us to meet again) or figure out how all of this happened and how to understand it and replicate it again for others and myself to experience again.
  • Old Brian
    Then if I understand correctly, the one you love has been separated from you by death. If so, then I'm sorry for you both; there are few things in our existence that have such a cost.

I hope, as time passes, you can see things more clearly and find comfort in understanding.
  • Shawn
    She moved away, somewhere I am unable to get to.

But, I'm slowly churning through everything, and need some rest.
  • Old Brian

Rest, then. I hope the journey goes well.
  • Deleted User
    Maybe you should send her an email about how you feel.
  • Shawn

Swany, I can't go back. It fundamentally altered me.
  • 3017amen

I have a strong feeling reading your OP. Destiny has several manifestations. In this season of your life, destiny is requiring you to introspect on the meaning of love.
  • Shawn
    You know, I've experienced some of the worst withdraws imaginable. But, this entity whom I refer to as 'Y', had such a profound effect on me, that at times it felt like our two beings merged.

When I couldn't maintain that state of existence, when I was referred to as 'K' (Y+me=K) you can't imagine how painful it felt to be no longer with Y.

I know this is verging on psychoceramics; but, I cannot doubt the feeling of love I felt.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one ought to remain silent.
  • Shawn
    It happened again, and not in some psychotic fit as I first suspected. I really want to understand this, can someone chime in?
  • Noble Dust

I would need more details about what this experience is/was. Off the top of my head, it sounds vaguely like some stuff Philip K. Dick experienced. For the record, I'm totally open to these sorts of experiences. I have sleep paralysis, and recently had an episode that, from what I've read, was on the verge of becoming an out-of-body experience.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.