• Benkei
    I want to set up a website to create a digital CV and I was wondering what program I could best use to develop this, considering I'm a noob (only worked with Wordpress in the past). The webhosting company offers the following:

Drupal
    Joomla
    b2evolution
    PivotX
    Textpattern
    concrete5
    Contao
    ImressPages
    liveSite
    PyroCMS
    SilverStripe
    Soholuanch
    MODx e107
    Mambo
    WebsiteBaker
    Chamilo
    Moodle
    phpMyFAQ
    Code Igniter
    Coranto
    PHP-Nuke
    Tiki Wiki
    Xoops
    Zikula
    Typo3
    ocPortal
  • S
    You should definitely go for either Drupal, Joomla, Moodle, or Tiki Wiki, because they have the most amusing names. Or Shpleeple, which is one I just made up.

You're welcome.
  • Michael
    Go with Wordpress. It's the simplest.
  • S
    No, go with Shpleeple.
  • wuliheron
    Ticky Tacky would be my choice.
  • Hanover
    HanoverBananover was the best until Porat bought it and turned it into a laundromat.
  • Hanover
    The Shpleeple are a Scottish tribe that are the love children of Scottish shepherds and the sheep they fucked. And by fuck (cuz sometimes this word ain't clear bruh) I mean they put their ruddy Scottish penises in the sheep's gaping vagina, they leaned forth, pounded away while thinking of Ellen DeGeneris (like this makes it weird?) and dribbled enough ejaculate to impregnate the sheep.

Yes Benkei, your thread has been officially hijacked.
  • jkop

You don't need a special web-site management program for showing your CV online.

If you wrote your CV with a word processor, then save it as an html file named index.html, and upload it to your host's server (e.g. with FileZilla).

Before uploading it you can open the file with your web-browser to see whether it looks good enough. If you'd like to elaborate its design with small means then you can use a simple text editor (e.g. notepad++) and learn to edit the html-code.
  • Benkei
    WordPress is pretty terrible and I want to build something special so just displaying a CV isn't what I'm looking for. I'd go for squarespace if I didn't already have a website.
  • Wosret

Oh Ellen, her or Rachel Maddow are whom come to mind when I'm grabbing my big rubber boots (tools of the trade you see, you put the sheep's feet in them too, and then they can't easily escape or kick you. Pretty sure that was their original intended purpose).
  • mcdoodle
    I use wordpress.org for loads of simple websites and don't find it 'pretty terrible'. You can always fiddle with the css and code if you can't find a plugin to do what you want. But perhaps you mean wordpress.com, which is more restrictive.
  • unenlightened
    Like everyone else, I have no idea about the answer to your question, but feel a fatuous comment is in order.

I used to use coffeecup (free version) which was difficult at first but not impossible. Of what's on your list, Joomla looks good, but I've no experience and most of them I've never heard of.
  • wuliheron
    I used to use coffeecup (free version) which was difficult at first but not impossible. Of what's on your list, Joomla looks good, but I've no experience and most of them I've never heard of.unenlightened

For those you need the whole pitcher of beer.
  • Benkei
    Thanks mcdoodle. My experience is that WordPress updates would destroy my site, which cost me time to get fixed again. Maybe I did use wordpress.com though, I can't remember and I also recall that the site owner of this site said that WordPress tries to do everything and as a consequence isn't really outstanding at any one of them. But that was a few years ago.
  • Jamal
    I also dislike Wordpress, but lots of people seem to like it.

@Benkei You said in the OP that you're creating a "digital CV" but then you say you don't want to just display your CV. So, what do you want to do? And how much time do you want to spend on it? What is your budget? Would you prefer something you had to host yourself or would you be willing to pay for a hosted service?

If you have experience in software development and don't mind fiddling around with CSS and HTML, use a static site generator (I use Flask and Frozen-Flask), perhaps in combination with a nice template/theme. Otherwise use Squarespace or something similar.

I'd go for squarespace if I didn't already have a website. — Benkei

What do you mean?
  • Benkei
    see for example: http://www.sanderveldscholten.nl/

Something like that is what I'm looking for. It's in Dutch but it gets the idea across.

What do you mean?jamalrob

I meant that I have a domain that I can use.
  • Jamal
    I meant that I have a domain that I can use.Benkei

You can use your own domain on Squarespace.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment