• thewonder
    Nominalism is defined by Google dictionary as being "the doctrine that universals or general ideas are mere names without any corresponding reality, and that only particular objects exist; properties, numbers, and sets are thought of as merely features of the way of considering the things that exist. Important in medieval scholastic thought, nominalism is associated particularly with William of Occam." I just picked up two-thirds of The Summa Logicae. Does anyone know anything else about Nominalism? I'm taking a class on Ancient, being Greek, Philosophy now. Surely there were ancient Greeks who rejected Platonic forms. From what I can tell, the philosophy seems to be either re William of Ockham or a somewhat recent trend in Analytic Philosophy that has something to do with the rejection of Set Theory, but I feel like there is bound to be more to it than that. I'm somewhat inclined to reject essence. I think that we can speak of things in themselves, but that, when we do, we are really speaking of what they ideally are. The subjective aspect is necessarily present by that there is an ideal. I haven't parcelled too much of this out and am curious as to what everyone else thinks about this.
  • Wayfarer
    It's become an interest of mine, although I only know a few snippets about it.

However, there's a school of thought that the medieval disputes between scholastic realists (i.e. those who accepted universals) and the emerging nominalists (Ockham et al) were never really resolved, and actually has had profound consequences for the way we think today.

Very briefly, and be wary that it's a very deep and detailed argument, the idea is that the notion of formal and final causes was an aspect of scholastic realism.

There's quite a good, long essay here What's Wrong with Ockham. (I've often discussed this on the forum, it dissappeared earlier this year but has now come up again. It's quite a long read, but then, as I say, it's a deep subject, and I think this is a good treatment.)

Another good source is this book.

Back later.
  • thewonder

I will read, but will be leaving for a time and, so, don't quit know what I will have to say in the way of a response. Thanks for sharing!
  • fresco
    I agree that 'nominalism' is an important issue in philosophy as it underpins all 'measurement', and as Protagoras said, 'Man is the measure of all things'.
    However the article cited above has suspect implications for me as it is published in a journal which states it is editorially concerned with 'divine matters'.
    I refer you to my thread on 'existence' in which I discuss 'thinging'.
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/5901/existence-is-relative-not-absolute
  • bongo fury
    I'm somewhat inclined to reject essence. I think that we can speak of things in themselves, but that, when we do, we are really speaking of what they ideally are. The subjective aspect is necessarily present by that there is an ideal.thewonder

"Essence", "in themselves", "ideally", "subjective aspect"...

For the modern nominalist, all of these notions deserve the same treatment as (and probably more urgently than) do properties, numbers and sets... that treatment being, ditching, or else nominalist reconstrual.

... which is to say, reconstrual in terms of particular objects and the words or pictures pointing at them (and thereby sorting them and classifying them and making patterns of them).

E.g. my favourite book.
  • NOS4A2

Adopting a nominalistic approach to thinking has fundamentally altered how I think about the world. It’s especially beneficial when applied to human beings, where we can see them as individuals instead of representatives of some group or identity.
  • thewonder

That Weaver claims that he is responsible for all of modern decadence and the dissolution of the West only makes me more intrigued. This article is quite long, but very informative. Thanks for the recs.
  • Wayfarer
    Key phrase:

Thomists and other critics of Ockham have tended to present traditional [i.e. 'scholastic'] realism with its forms or natures, as the solution to the modern problem of knowledge. It seems to me that it does not quite get to the heart of the matter. A genuine realist should see “forms” not merely as a solution to a distinctly modern problem of knowledge, but as part of an alternative conception of knowledge, a conception that is not so much desired and awaiting defense, as forgotten and so no longer desired. Characterized by forms, reality had an intrinsic intelligibility, not just in each of its parts but as a whole. With forms as causes, there are interconnections between different parts of an intelligible world, indeed there are overlapping matrices of intelligibility in the world, making possible an ascent from the more particular, posterior, and mundane to the more universal, primary, and noble.

In short, the appeal to forms or natures does not just help account for the possibility of trustworthy access to facts, it makes possible a notion of wisdom, traditionally conceived as an ordering grasp of reality.
    — Joshua Hochschild

'Wisdom is not only knowing things, it’s knowing what to do with them, knowing how to deal with them, knowing how to treat them, knowing how to use them, knowing what is appropriate, what is inappropriate, and knowing it very existentially, vitally, in life itself. For example, what the present moment would demand, or what would be the right solution in this particular instance, or what would be the best way of proceeding: this is wisdom.' ~ Christian web site.

It is precisely, exactly this which is absent from modern philosophy including scientific philosophy, as attested by the fragmentation of discourse, of our worldview, even debates about 'multiverses' and the likes (see De-fragmenting Modernity, Paul Tyson).

This 'fragmented' view means that we implicitly believe that things are real, and that everything is ultimately a product of the actions of things, and that we ourselves are ultimately composed of things and are really a kind of thing. This attitude so thoroughly permeates the modern secular conception of reality that it can barely be consciously articulated, let alone criticized. And this goes back to the dissolution of Platonic metaphysics.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.