• S
    Where is the evidence?
    — Jacob-B

The post above this one has a link to a NY Times article.
    Wayfarer

That's not evidence of a miracle. That's just evidence that an explanation hasn't been found.

Irrational god of the gaps style thinking.
  • Wayfarer
    well, like children who remember their last lives, we know it can’t be real, right? It doesn’t fit in with our picture of the world so it can’t happen. Sort of a ‘no gap’ theory.

Although as noted, Jacalyn Duffyn professes atheism herself - she simply notes that these cases defy scientific explanation.
  • S
    well, like children who remember their last lives, we know it can’t be real, right? It doesn’t fit in with our picture of the world so it can’t happen. Sort of a ‘no gap’ theory.Wayfarer

Sure. Or you could take on board my actual criticism.
  • Wayfarer
    Well, those cases that the article mentions number in the hundreds. They’re documented and have been subjected to expert testimony. So they are a body of evidence that something has occurred which can’t be accounted for in scientific terms. I mentioned it because the OP seems to assume there is no evidence of any kind, but there actually is.
  • S
    Although as noted, Jacalyn Duffyn professes atheism herself - she simply notes that these cases defy scientific explanation.Wayfarer

Well, those cases that the article mentions number in the hundreds. They’re documented and have been subjected to expert testimony. So they are a body of evidence that something has occurred which can’t be accounted for in scientific terms. I mentioned it because the OP seems to assume there is no evidence of any kind, but there actually is.Wayfarer

No, I don't think that anyone is denying that there are a comparatively tiny number of cases where there is yet to be an adequate explanation.

Once again, that's not evidence of miracles.
  • Wayfarer
    A Miracle Cure is defined as lasting remission of a terminal disease that can not be explained in terms of existing medical science.Jacob-B
  • S
    I don't agree that that's a miracle. That's just calling something currently unknown a miracle. A miracle would have to be more than that.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.