• Roel
    The possible deeper consequences of freedom of speech.

*Albert Einstein mentioned very clear that heart intelligence makes you intelligent. Not your brain. Before you can speak your mind there needs to be a perfect balance between your heart and mind.

It has a long history. For centuries talking out loud was a privilege. A privilege for men within a family. A privilege for the nobility, or for high-ranking people in an old social class system. Politicians, Officers of the army, Notaries, town Mayors, owners of large factories, university teachers, priests ... I will not try to name them all here. The right to speak or perhaps better; the rule that you had to remain silent is supported by various factors. Writing about these factors is again an interesting topic in itself, but in essence it's all about power. Controlling. The turnaround happened under different influences. Discussing all the factors that lead to this major change is again a topic in itself. I would like to jump over this.

Approximately after the Second World War, the process was accelerated. Spread over the last 70 years, the speed increased. Compared to hundreds of years of silence and listening, these last 70 years are particularly short. What is remarkable for me personally, that’s why I want to write about this subject, is that there is clearly no brake on this evolution. The old values and norms are becoming blurred. But they were not replaced by new ones. There are no clear agreements anymore. Freedom of speech is exploding.

The generations that still felt “comfortable” with the ethical agreement about the right to talk, this generation will soon leave our society. The old rules will disappear with the old people. It is a natural process. I think a lot about what this evolution will bring us in the longer term.(?) Our senses receive information. We must process this information. The processing of information uses energy. We live in a world with an incredible flow of information. You can try to filter this information. Physically, for example, by turning off your television, your computer, the radio, your phone, ... But you cannot turn off the voice of your colleagues, your family, your neighbors, the children on the street, the people in the store, the people in the bar, the people in your gym ...

The list above covers a large part of your daily life. All these people have an opinion and because of the freedom of speech “it seems” that we have to learn to absorb all this information. That requires a lot of energy. I’m uncertain whether humanity has the capacity to process so much information? Life goes fast. Speed of life is toxic. We are constantly trying to adjust to this speed. I consider this naive. It is widely represented that people everywhere no longer have time. People are “busy”. People behave that they cannot make much time for each other. At the same time, statistics show that loneliness is growing fast. And people are almost always tired. The information flow is too large. The speed is too high.

People are not that “busy”. We are looking for solutions to protect ourselves against all this information. Most people in a subconscious mind, some conscious. I investigate whether freedom of speech cannot be at the source of all this information. I recognize that we have instruments and technologies that were absent a few decades ago. But all these resources must be fed. Freedom of speech seems to me to have a large share in feeding all this resources. It seems to me that the right to speak, the evolution, is seriously underestimated. We have focused solely on the aspect of freedom; Discharging and spreading our emotions and thoughts. This comes with a weight. A volume. An energy.

People can try to filter the information that comes to him or her, but ethically it should also be justified that people first filter before they distribute almost everything. It is a problem.

I know I’m fighting windmills here ...
  • T Clark
    The information flow is too large. The speed is too high. People are not that “busy”. We are looking for solutions to protect ourselves against all this information. Most people in a subconscious mind, some conscious. I investigate whether freedom of speech cannot be at the source of all this information. I recognize that we have instruments and technologies that were absent a few decades ago. But all these resources must be fed. Freedom of speech seems to me to have a large share in feeding all this resources. It seems to me that the right to speak, the evolution, is seriously underestimated. We have focused solely on the aspect of freedom; Discharging and spreading our emotions and thoughts. This comes with a weight. A volume. An energy.Roel

I think you are mixing two issues here - freedom of speech and information overload. I can see that they might seem to belong together, but I don't think they do, at least not in the sense you've spelled them out.

The information we're being overloaded with is, mostly, not speech. It is mostly controlled by the privileged, in particular business interests. It can be and is being used to control people, primarily to make money and gain power. You say it takes effort to avoid all the information we are bombarded with, but that doesn't really bother me. I wonder if it's because I'm older and grew up when it took much more effort to get information.

In another thread, I've been talking about a body of knowledge that people develop - a structure of interlocking information, memories, and experience that allows us to make sense of the world. My body of knowledge was fully developed before computers, the internet, cell phones, and other information technologies were fully developed and distributed. Maybe having a fully developed sense of my own understanding of the world has made it easier for me to handle all the information we have available now. I have to admit I love it. I feel like I have the ability to take in what I want and can use and reject or avoid what I don't find useful. It feels like being a kid in a candy store.

Speech is something different. At it's best, freedom of speech is a way to distribute power to those with less. Maybe one thing the cascade of information has done is to wash out and cover up those voices. Made it harder to be heard. I'm not sure about that.
  • uncanni
    Your post gives me lots of insights. People can "voice" whatever they want in so many ways now. So there is on the one hand, the explosion of media through which one can be heard/read, and on the other hand, there are so many new styles of expression. I have taught 18-22 year olds since the 1980s and I'm acutely aware of the distance separating my speech styles from theirs. Many of them express a preference for texting to face-to-face communication.

One thing I love about my cell phone: I can turn it off when I get home and sit in blissful silence. I don't own a television.
  • uncanni
    Speech is something different. At it's best, freedom of speech is a way to distribute power to those with less. Maybe one thing the cascade of information has done is to wash out and cover up those voices. Made it harder to be heard. I'm not sure about that.T Clark

Or at least, it's a way to make the powerless feel as if they had power. I call this the trump mode: a lot of people now believe that they have the right to say whatever they want in public spaces.

I appreciate what you write about acquiring a "body of knowledge" or a world view before the age of computers; I'm in my 60s and therefore everything does indeed filter through the world view I've forged. I try not to be an old fogie about things, but I'm concluding that it's inevitable to feel a sense of alienation and wistfulness about various and sundry aspects of the past by the time one reaches my age. I'm not enjoying global warming at all...
  • Tzeentch
    All these people have an opinion and because of the freedom of speech “it seems” that we have to learn to absorb all this information.Roel

If one is trying to absorb all the nonsense that is daily shared, then it is poor judgement that is the culprit here, not freedom of speech.

Nowadays people seem to value every opinion equally, and they cannot stand it when another's opinion, no matter how ridiculous, does not rhyme with their own. That, to me, is an indication that they have no confidence in their own beliefs. And how could they, in an age of atheism and moral relativism?

What you are describing is a consequence of human ignorance, not of freedom of speech.
  • Terrapin Station
    The possible deeper consequences of freedom of speech.

*Albert Einstein mentioned very clear that heart intelligence makes you intelligent. Not your brain. Before you can speak your mind there needs to be a perfect balance between your heart and mind.

It has a long history. For centuries talking out loud was a privilege . . .
    Roel

Maybe this post could have been less focused and had less to do with freedom of speech, but I'm not sure how.
  • Roel
    First of all I want to thank everyone who responded to my topic.
    I was afraid nobody would respond. As I mention somewhere, English is not my native language, responding is not so easy ...

I live with the knowledge that every individual has his or her own reality ... and that within that reality everyone has their own truths.
    This realization gives me the space and freedom to respect and study other opinions.
    I'm not the type of person who wants to bring people to other ideas or opinions.
    Staying flexible is the source of becoming a richer person.
    Endless discussions of who is right is something that I let glide over me ...

The freedom of speech and the large flow of information that is currently available are indeed two different aspects. But they are closely intertwined.
    I could have expressed the freedom of speech with; the hopeless urge of people to have to share their opinions about everything ... Yet I regard this behavior as a result of the general freedom of speech.
    People want hopeless confirmation. People became terribly obsessed with getting attention and confirmation. I also consider this as a separate theme. But all of this urge again causes a lot of unnecessary information.

I also grew up before everyone had a computer at home. I found most of the information I needed back then in the libraries. Internet within reach is an enormous freedom. It's delicious. But I can turn this off. I don't have a television either.

For those who want to read further, I will list some examples below?
    I used to buy a newspaper on a summer Sunday morning and read it on a terrace of a bar with a cup of coffee. Usually when other people sat on the terrace with a drink, they talk a little quietly. I should have made an effort to follow the conversation. There were also exceptions back then. But If I want to read my newspaper today in this setting, I MUST listen to all the details. People talk loudly. People talk about everything. It is an acquired right. Am I rusty and old? I do not think so. I follow ... But it is a lot of information when you count everything up ...

It's at the supermarket checkout, it's at the pharmacy's checkout, it's in the doctor's waiting room, ... I sometimes feel I’m being chased by sentences that start with, "You know what I'm thinking about that. .. "and" My opinion about this is ... " I’m not asking to hear all this people ... Maybe I should write a new topic about the freedom of being quiet ... People are becoming more and more afraid of the silence. As if silence must be broken with endless conversations. Hopeless unnecessary conversations. Often no content. No message ... Just rattling ...

It's hard not to condemn this situation. I will not do it. But I consider it a problem.
    It could be my problem. Maybe not.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.