• Anaxagoras
    I'm a pessimist, but I'm also an Orectic psychological determinist (most commonly referred to as psychological hedonism), and I believe because of our internal drives we tend to do things that impair our own mobility whether it is internal or external. In the case of current events NBA basketball player Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder was in an argument with two fans who, were presumably white who told Westbrook: "get on your knees like you used to." Subsequent to that particular exchange Westbrook was heard saying "I'll F**k him up. I'll f**k you and your wife up!." After the incident Westbrook spoke to the media regarding the incident which could be seen here:

Now, free speech advocates will say the fan had a "right to speak his mind because he has free speech." More often than not, free speech advocates seem to conflate public speech with the 1st amendment right of speech which shall not be abridged by the government. However in an arena where speech could cause harm such as using racial slurs to African-American players in an arena where African-Americans are present which could most certainly incite violence (which could in effect hurt innocent bystanders in the process) ought to be banned. Most certainly telling an African-American NBA player to "get on his knees like you used to," has racist connotations, but more importantly we ought to investigate how this incident began which the Utah Jazz organization (the arena where the incident occurred) is investigating. but for now, the owner Jazz has banned that fan. But I agree in some of the stuff being said such as where is the accountability? Often times spectators tell players to look the other way but what about holding the fans accountable for disruptive speech that could incite violence?

What are you thoughts?

Here is further debate:

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube