• T Clark
    "Pseudo-Intellectual collection of things that all fit together hopefully"
    I thought you were maybe proposing a new name for this message board.
    Terrapin Station

That sounds like fun:
    • International House of Bologna
    • @Jamalrob's folly
    • Incoherent Thoughts R Us
    • Much Ado About Nothing
    • The University of Delaware Institute for Finding Out Things
    • I Kant Believe It’s Not Better
  • Hanover
    For the last time, I'm sorry. I didn't know she was your mother.
  • Michael
    For the last time, I'm sorry. I didn't know she was your mother.Hanover

Neither did I. The last time I spoke to her she was my dad.
  • T Clark
    • All the philosophy that's fit to print (and that Baden will tolerate)
    • Land of a Thousand Neuroses
    • Graveyard of Forgotten Ideas
    • Plato's Retreat
    • Thus Farted Zarathustra
    • The Happiest Place on Earth
    • Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Bullshit (Going out of business, thank you animal rights activists. I saw it in Madison Square Garden in 1958).
  • Baden
    Land of a Thousand NeurosesT Clark

How about 'Land of a Thousand Neurons"?
  • T Clark
    How about 'Land of a Thousand Neurons"?Baden

All entries welcome, no matter how lame. Final decision by @S and @Noble Dust.
  • Baden

I'm actually going to keep that one as the new title for the Donald Trump discussion.
  • T Clark
    I'm actually going to keep that one as the new title for the Donald Trump discussion.Baden

As always, oh Wise One, we bow deeply in reverence for your judgment while we snicker and make obscene gestures behind your back.
  • S
    The Worthless Pseudo-Intellectual Nerousis Waste Of Time Trivial Folly Inconclusive Incoherent Play Dumb Charade Pathetic Morons I Hate You All Die Mother Fuckers Forum.
  • Baden

If you could just grab that domain name before someone else takes it. :up:
  • S
    If you could just grab that domain name before someone else takes it. :up:Baden

Already on it. Apparently it's owned by a Mr. Porat, though he's selling it for £100,000.
  • Fine Doubter
    Academy Of Fine Ideas
  • Hanover
    I think we should name it The Philosophy Forum. It's not a big difference, but I think the extra space after the word Philosophy adds a certain class.

Edit: The software automatically edits out the extra space, so you'll have to use your imagination, or I can come over to your house and show you with a pen and paper.
  • T Clark
    The Worthless Pseudo-Intellectual Nerousis Waste Of Time Trivial Folly Inconclusive Incoherent Play Dumb Charade Pathetic Morons I Hate You All Die Mother Fuckers Forum.S

I think we have a winner.
  • S
    Academy Of Fine IdeasFine Doubter

Academy Of Daft Ideas
    Academy Of Fuck Your Ideas
    Academy Of High Arrears
    Academy Of Great Big Ears
    Academy Of Fine Wine
    Academy Of Cheap Cider
    Academy Of Alcoholics Anonymous
    Academy Of It's A Forum, Not An Academy
    Academy Potter And The Chamber Of [Mod edit]Boris Johnson's[/Mod edit]
  • S
    Academy Potter And The Chamber Of [Mod edit]Boris Johnson's[/Mod edit]S

:rofl:
  • Sir2u
    No Memes Land

The Rock of psalter. At least for the religion section

A thousand and one shytes.

Dummies guide to a good life.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Edit: The software automatically edits out the extra space, so you'll have to use your imagination, or I can come over to your house and show you with a pen and paper.Hanover

Here's the pen.... :chin: it's still 112* here, you know that right?
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Edit: The software automatically edits out the extra space, so you'll have to use your imagination, or I can come over to your house and show you with a pen and paper.Hanover

Why? I learned in school to leave a double space after a period. So I diligently do that. Now the computer always edits it out. Why? It's not like it's a huge waste of valuable space or anything.
  • Sir2u
    I learned in school to leave a double space after a period.Metaphysician Undercover

What kind of school did you go to?

It's not like it's a huge waste of valuable space or anything.Metaphysician Undercover

It is in a forum, spaces count the same as any other character. That means that for every sentence there is an extra character. over several thousand sentences that adds up to a lot of extra space on the server drive and extra download time for the people viewing the thread. There are some people that have limited data mobile services so every byte counts.
  • Terrapin Station
    Hmmm, I only now realized how that not every thread shows up when you click on "Forum"
    You show your age it seems.Hanover

It's not a question of which age group has a better method, it's a question of why does the computer take it upon itself to correct this non-mistake. My spell-check never corrects this. And, my spell-check shows me many errors which, if I post them will pass right through onto the posting. So there's all kinds of grammatical errors which are not corrected when I post, yet for some odd reason a double space after a period is corrected. Why? Is the double space such an evil thing that it is singled out as the one thing which needs to be corrected? And it can't even be said to be 'wrong' anyway, just something practised by a different age group.

It is in a forum, spaces count the same as any other character. That means that for every sentence there is an extra character. over several thousand sentences that adds up to a lot of extra space on the server drive and extra download time for the people viewing the thread. There are some people that have limited data mobile services so every byte counts.Sir2u

OOKK, BBuutt II bbeett II ccoouulldd ddoouubbllee uupp aannyy cchhaarraacctteerr,, aanndd oonnllyy tthhee ssppaacceess wwoouulldd bbee eeddiitteedd..

the lounge is hidden from view because it makes the philosophers of the site look bad if it comes up on the front page.
  • Hanover
    So there's all kinds of grammatical errors which are not corrected when I post, yet for some odd reason a double space after a period is corrected. Why? Is the double space such an evil thing that it is singled out as the one thing which needs to be correctedMetaphysician Undercover

Computers, unlike typewriters, auto format, with some fonts having letters of differing sizes, and some fully justify the words on both margins. This causes the computer to reformat the spacing. It's not correcting grammar or punctuation. It's just formatting.

You might be able to find a manual typewriter on eBay to resolve your problem.
  • Sir2u
    OOKK, BBuutt II bbeett II ccoouulldd ddoouubbllee uupp aannyy cchhaarraacctteerr,, aanndd oonnllyy tthhee ssppaacceess wwoouulldd bbee eeddiitteedd..Metaphysician Undercover

:rofl:

True, probable because the people that designed the editing software figured that an educated person would only leave double spaces by accident and that everything else they wrote was because that was what they wanted to say.
    Computers, unlike typewriters, auto format, with some fonts having letters of differing sizes, and some fully justify the words on both margins. This causes the computer to reformat the spacing. It's not correcting grammar or punctuation. It's just formatting.Hanover

That's bullshit. The computer doesn't automatically remove all double spaces because this reformatting is required to make the words fit within the margins. Come on Hanover, get real.

True, probable because the people that designed the editing software figured that an educated person would only leave double spaces by accident and that everything else they wrote was because that was what they wanted to say.Sir2u

Those software designers were wrong then. Do you think that no one has corrected them on this yet, or do they persist in this practise just to exercise control over us peons, and continually display this mastery with incessant annoyance? Spell-check is bad enough, when you have to re-correct stuff after it acts, then the spell-check sneaks back in again to overrule you when you hit 'send'. But at least it's there for a good reason. This double space editing is only there to let you know that the programmers have control over how your composition (creative work) will appear in it's finished form.
  • Pattern-chaser
    ↪Terrapin Station

the lounge is hidden from view because it makes the philosophers of the site look bad if it comes up on the front page.
    Metaphysician Undercover

So is there a way to show all current threads? And which threads are missing when you click on "Forum"? Is it only the lounge?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    The computer doesn't automatically remove all double spaces because this reformatting is required to make the words fit within the margins. Come on Hanover, get real.Metaphysician Undercover

Hmmm.. I distinctly remember having to reinsert an extra space after I completed the sentence and asked about a double space no longer being necessary and was told that was an outdated idea.
    Now having said that: there is absolutely a setting on your margins that will increase the length of characters and spaces contained within a specified field to meet the perimeters. Word wrap is a common one that is used that I believe performs a similar but KISS application.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.