• Shawn
    Short stipulative definition of

"Unreciprocated love":

that is, a state of mind that does not require reciprocation to be maintained, something akin to being enlightened or love/compassion/desire in its purest form - without any material desire in return

This seems to be a state of mind where one does not need another to display affection to in turn receive affection.

Has anyone heard of this state of mind? Is it simply "compassion" said another way? I tend to view emotions not existing independently from one another; but, if one can feel love without reciprocation, then that seems the telos of every emotion possible to experience and display.

Thoughts?
  • BC
    Agape or (among other definitions) "unconditional love" does not require reciprocation in the way that eros does. It does not seek reciprocation in a quid pro quo manner. If it is the highest love, it may also be the most difficult to perform, partly because it does not seek reciprocation, partly because it may be roundly insulted and rejected, or ignored.

One does not "fall into agape love" the way one falls into erotic love. One has to strive to experience it. Certainly it requires engagement with others; any sort of love without engagement is just so much mental masturbation. People who play at having agape without engagement with others are very disappointing.

A Christian would probably claim that agape was a grace from god. A non-believer might consider it a grace without a source. One should seek to find one's way to agape. It has a central place in spiritual discipline, and it doesn't take the place of other kinds of love -- filio, eros, or storge (to use the Greek terms) and it isn't incompatible either. One can be engaged in filio and eros without abandoning or compromising agape.
  • unenlightened
    My song is love unknown.

My song is love unknown,
    my Savior's love to me,
    love to the loveless shown
    that they might lovely be.
    O who am I
    that for my sake
    my Lord should take
    frail flesh and die?

He came from his blest throne
    salvation to bestow,