• thewonder
    This isn't terribly Philosophy related, and so @Baden can delete this post if he feels like doing so.

Anyways, I came up with a conspiracy theory a while ago that the angel Michael being called an "Archangel" was a recent phenomenon and that this was resultant of historical revisionism on primarily the part of British and American Intelligence. Does anyone think that this theory could be at all credible? Did they just invent the term, "Archangel"?
  • Baden
    This isn't terribly Philosophy related, and so Baden can delete this post if he feels like doing so.thewonder

Or any other mod. It doesn't have to be philosophical in the lounge though.

Does anyone think that this theory could be at all credible?thewonder

No.
  • thewonder

You are the only mod that I know who is a mod.

Also, you would really put it past them?
  • Baden

There are some explanatory gaps in your theory. The main one being the explanation.
  • thewonder

Well, now I do know who the mods are @fdrake @jamalrob @Hanover @Michael @andrewk @StreetlightX.

My theory is that they created the concept of the "Archangel" Michael to assert some form religious supremacy following the end of the Second World War. This was, in part, to cover up the role that British and American Intelligence had to play in propping up the Third Reich. You would, of course, have to accept the theory that Oswald Mosley was a British spy and that American Intelligence was involved with the American businesses who flooded money into Nazi Germany. I don't really believe this anymore, but I did go through a fit of madness where I became deeply convinced of this. It's kind of an out there conspiracy and I just thought that some people might find for it to be kind of interesting.
  • Michael
    But Michael, the archangel, when contending with the devil and arguing about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him an abusive condemnation, but said, "May the Lord rebuke you!" — Jude 1:9

The term "archangel" is also used elsewhere, albeit not explicitly referring to Michael.

For the Lord himself, with a cry of command, with the archangel’s call and with the sound of God’s trumpet, will descend from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. — 1 Thessalonians 4:16

And although the Old Testament doesn't use the term "archangel" ("chief angel") it does use the term "chief/great prince".

But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days; but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me: and I remained there with the kings of Persia. — Daniel 10:13

And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince who standeth for the children of thy people; and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. — Daniel 12:1
  • Michael
    My theory is that they created the concept of the "Archangel" Michael to assert some form religious supremacy following the end of the Second World War. This was, in part, to cover up the role that British and American Intelligence had to play in propping up the Third Reich.thewonder

You're going to have to explain the connection between these two things as it appears to be a non sequitur.
  • thewonder

Well, it was a conspiracy theory, and, so, it was primarily comprised of one thread like that after another. There was an odd kind of logic to it, but it ultimately didn't add up to anything at all.

My theory was partially motivated by looking at the structure of British Intelligence under the assumption that MI6 kind of runs the show. During the war, MI5 specialized in counter-intelligence and MI6 specialized in finance. My theory was that while MI5 was spying on Mosley, which I think that they actually did, they were unwittingly spying on the head of a secret branch of MI6. This, through somewhat nonsensical Intelligence logic, had resulted in the percieved need for a cult centered around the "Archangel" Michael. My theory was that they had invented archangels altogether and had inserted the concept into history. You'd need the whole ball of crazy yarn to really get how all of this added up if it did at all which it probably didn't. I think that, in that theory, Arkhangelsk was a MI6 hub, and that British Intelligence was also covering up the role that they had to play in putting Alexander III up to the assassination of Alexander II which had later resulted in that British and American Intelligence had been involved with any number of Russian revolutionary or nationalist factions leading up to the revolution. Pyotr Lavrovich Lavrov, Sergei Trufanov, and Felix Yusupov were allegedy British Intelligence and Rasputin was allegedy American Intelligence. There was actually also supposed to be some sort of internal fallout. I think that that theoy had originally developed out of the theory that I had that British Intelligence controlled the aristocracy and American Intelligence controlled the mafia. It all had an odd kind of logic, but ultimately didn't really add up to very much.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.