• BeanutPutter
    Maybe this is a major brain fart, to me the statement is extremely deep because it shares the same fabric/common theme as philosophical questions such as 'what is the meaning of life?'; the idea of 'purpose'...

Or perhaps it's one of those questions (even though it's a statement), that has no answer and your response tells you something about yourself.

Btw the quote is one of my own, in case you were wondering.

(I'd like to apologise to the mods in advaned if my OP doesn't meet the requirements of the forum . Hopefully you can see what I was trying to achieve and grant me a little leeway in this regard? I only ask it because I think this forum is probably the only place on the internet I can expand upon what i'm trying to say)
  • Baden

There are doors without knobs, such as lift doors etc. Maybe expand on your point a bit.
  • Amity

But, but...lift doors can still look or function like a wall, when closed.
    There needs to be a button, a knob or a key to open any such 'wall'.

the statement is extremely deep because it shares the same fabric/common theme as philosophical questions such as 'what is the meaning of life?'; the idea of 'purpose'...BeanutPutter

How so ?
  • Baden

Maybe, although I see a door as something built to allow progress through a barrier (such as a wall) making the function of a knob very peripheral. Either way we need some more sauce BeanutPutter.
  • Hanover
    If the knob falls off a door, we have a knobless door, not a wall.

Maybe this is a thread about essentialism. I'm not sure. If it is, I'll just jump to the conclusion (spolier alert!) and point out there is no definition of walls or doors that captures every case because such things have no essence.
  • Sir2u
    Electric automated doors have no knobs. But that does not stop it from being a door nor convert it into a wall. A barrier maybe but not a wall.
  • Pattern-chaser
    If the knob falls off a door, we have a knobless door, not a wall.Hanover

Yes, we do, but (assuming the door is the sort that can only be opened by twisting the knob and pushing/pulling) functionally, that knobless door is indistinguishable from a wall. The OP mentioned purpose, and in this context, the knobless door is (in effect) a wall, even though this is not - cannot be - so literally.
  • S
    A cat with no arms and legs is a snake.
  • Hanover
    A cat with no arms and legs is a snake.S

A cat with arms is a fucked up cat.
  • S
    A cat with arms is a fucked up cat.Hanover

Your cat has yet to evolve arms?
  • T Clark
    A cat with arms is a fucked up cat.Hanover

But a cat without arms is not. Unless it doesn't have legs either, in which case it is a snake, as Professor @S has so perspicaciously noted.
  • S
    But a cat without arms is not. Unless it doesn't have legs either, in which case it is a snake, as Professor S has so perspicaciously noted.T Clark

Yes. And a slug is just a tiny, toothless snake. Or a tiny, toothless cat with no arms or legs. Which is a different way of saying the same thing.
  • T Clark
    Yes. And a slug is just a tiny, toothless snake.S

Or, a tiny toothless cat with no arms or legs. I can keep this up all day, although that may not be fair to @BeanutPutter.
  • T Clark
    Maybe expand on your point a bit.Baden

Amity

I like this, instead of expanding the point, you've redefined one of the main elements of the question. And that, my friends, is what we call "philosophy."
  • S
    Sorry old chap, it appears I beat you to the punch in my edit.
  • T Clark
    Sorry old chap, it appears I beat you to the punch in my edit.S

Yes, but I got to use "perspicaciously." And, in a paraphrase to Leslie Nielsen, don't call me "old chap."

• T Clark
    don't call me "old chapT Clark

"Old man" would be ok though, because, well, I am an old man.
  • Amity
    — Amity

I like this, instead of expanding the point, you've redefined one of the main elements of the question. And that, my friends, is what we call "philosophy."
    T Clark

Really ? :yikes:
    I didn't know that...
    Well...thank you, I think :chin:
    :sparkle:
  • Hanover
    A cat with no arms or legs isn't a snake. It's a doorstop.
  • T Clark
    It's a doorstop.Hanover

Or a doorknob. Or a wall.
  • Sir2u
    A cat with no arms or legs isn't a snake. It's a doorstop.Hanover

I have yet to see a cat with arms, so it is difficult to imagine on without them. :chin:
  • S
    A cat with no arms or legs isn't a snake. It's a doorstop.Hanover

My doorstop just bit me.
  • Pattern-chaser
    — Amity

I like this, instead of expanding the point, you've redefined one of the main elements of the question. And that, my friends, is what we call "philosophy." — T Clark

Really ? :yikes:
    I didn't know that...
    Well...thank you, I think :chin:
    Amity

I think there's room here to understand - and defend? :chin: - flexibility of thought and vocabulary. It's not a crime or a sin, as far as I know. It can even be useful, on occasion. :up:

It's not really redefining anything to portray a door as a wall (in some circumstances). That's just being flexible, and saying 'let's just see where this goes...'. :up:
  • Amity
    It's not really redefining anything to portray a door as a wall (in some circumstances). That's just being flexible, and saying 'let's just see where this goes...'. :up:Pattern-chaser

I like it :up:
    'flexibility of thought and vocabulary'
    The key to passing through the dogma wall...
    Fresh air through open doors. Cats stay watch.
    Is that a pet theory ?
  • Pattern-chaser
    'flexibility of thought and vocabulary'
    The key to passing through the dogma wall...
    Amity

Now let's not get carried away! :smile: Flexibility of thought helps specifically when we're seeking for something new or different. And it needs to be followed with some more rigorous consideration, or we can end up with half-thought-out nonsense for our trouble. :wink: So it's not a key (IMO), or a secret weapon against dogma ... but it might help. :up:

Is that a pet theory ?Amity

No, I rather think it's a very bad joke, yes? :wink:
  • Amity

Keep on thinking, it sounds good - through the skull walls... :smile:

Part of your favourite quote:
    In order to make progress, one must leave the door to the unknown ajar.”
    ― Richard Feynman

The open door is a start...
  • Shamshir
    A door is a passage.
    The thing with the knob is a movable wall.
  • Pattern-chaser
    A door is a passage.Shamshir

I don't want to get nit-picky, but doesn't a door open onto a passage? Isn't it an entry to that passage? :chin:
  • Shamshir
    When you say 'open the door' - are you opening up the barricade and inspecting its insides or are you moving the barricade and opening up a passage?
  • Shamshir
    Then it would follow, as I've thought it through, that a door or gate or anything of the sort - is a passage.

That said, language is known to mutate - an example I'm sure you're familiar with being the word 'gay'.
    So the words themselves don't matter as much as meaning and intent; thusly, use 'door' as you wish.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment