• TogetherTurtle
    I've heard of and been told of a forum that preceded this one. Older posts in the lounge catagory seemed to confirm this for me. However, I wasn't able to find any posts explaining the circumstances. All I know is that it was sold and something about moderation issues.

I've found that my desire to learn about the past is a bit more esoteric and maybe useless than most. After all, I'm sure history of specific websites isn't exactly what most people think of when they hear "history". I'm sure for people who were around back then it doesn't seem special, and for most new members it doesn't mean anything, but I decided I would ask. So, if you know and can find it in your heart to feed my addiction to minor historical anectdotes, I would greatly appreciate that.
  • Hanover
    Gather round all you lads and lasses and I shall tell you the tale of our humble abode.

Our nation had just emerged from the Great War. We were beaten and battered, yet we had that afterglow one has when either one has just freshly killed or has just been pleasured by a pouty lipped princess.

On this high, a forum was created in the then prehistoric interwebs, by a strapping young man with thighs the size of oak trees and a manhood to match. His thunderous steps shook the ground as he walked, his testicles sweeping the crumbs from the floor as the field mice scurried behind for a bite.

His name was Paul.

He built an empire replete with the deepest thinkers since Socrates, Aristotle, and Hanover. It flourished so. Nary a day transpired where an unsuspecting lass was not impregnated, having gotten lost in the wild passion of the day.

But just as all good parties end with a vomiting head held just above the toilet, this too came to an end. Financial straits forced a sale to an unsavory buyer, whose piss smelled of putrid corpse but tasted of subtle lavender. It was sold and its fate sealed.

His name was Porat.

No sooner was it sold than was it was it ass fucked into the ground. The town's people went scurrying like a mouse behind a sweeping scrotum. Fires burned the highest buildings and it is said that no orgasms heaved or hoed for 40 days or 39 nights. Night 40 was, by contrast, a cumfest.

A new day emerged and this place replaced what once was. Street parties, dancing until comatose, flailing about with serpents, and blood curdling screams marked the arrival of our humble abode.

His name was Jamalrob.

So now you know our origins. True story. I don't believe I could be clearer.
  • Sir2u
    So now you know our origins. True story. I don't believe I could be clearer.Hanover

Holy fuck!!!! That's how history is made(up).

You should have posted a copy in the creative thread.
  • S
    I found out recently that Herodotus is known as the father of history, but also the father of bias. I guess that would make you something like his less talented descendant.
  • Paul
    The little scraps of history one can still dig up (and which prove Hanover's account to be the pure unbiased truth): http://web.archive.org/web/20020320005403/http://www.philosophyforums.com/

Fortunately the most popular thread was preserved: http://web.archive.org/web/20080317184743/http://forums.philosophyforums.com/threads/gassendi1-temp-ban-14586.html

Possibly I can put the rest of the threads back online when it all becomes public domain, 70 years after the last poster dies.
  • Sir2u
    Possibly I can put the rest of the threads back online when it all becomes public domain, 70 years after the last poster dies.Paul

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

I doubt I shall be waiting around that long. Oh shit, I am one of those posters. :cry:
  • Shawn

You can't deny there was something special about that forum...
  • Michael
    The admins and moderators were definitely better at the old place.
  • Amity

Wow - 14 pages on a temporary ban on a poster. Such passion.

You can't deny there was something special about that forum...Wallows

For example? What made it special ?

I'm curious. I hear quite a bit of nostalgic yearning for the old place.
    I can't remember ever participating in it. I don't know why I didn't.
    Guess I stick to one forum at a time. Guess it's a comfort thing.
    You get to know people...and their quirks. When to tease, titillate and torture :cool:

It takes time to start again. Renew and refresh.

A new day emerged and this place replaced what once was. Street parties, dancing until comatose, flailing about with serpents, and blood curdling screams marked the arrival of our humble abode.

His name was Jamalrob.
    Hanover

Well done that Jamalrob and crew :smile:
  • Shawn
    When to tease, titillate and torture :cool:

It takes time to start again. Renew and refresh.
    Amity

Not kosher.
  • Amity

What does that mean in this context ? You don't agree with what I said ?

So, let me ask again -
    You can't deny there was something special about that forum...
    — Wallows

For example? What made it special ?
    Amity
  • Shawn

A lot of things. Not to disrespect the current administration though, as @Michael commented, the admins were a little more engaged and active on the old PF. Also the members were of high caliber, as Gassendi1 for example was a doctorate from Princeton if memory serves me right.

The fact that we had hard categories in place organized the clutter a bit better.

@Banno was more active back then in the ethics and philosophy of language sub-forums also.

Yadayada...
  • Amity

Hmmm. OK. Thanks for your perspective.

The admins and moderators were definitely better at the old place.Michael

I had thought this might be sarcasm.

Just because admin and mods were a little more engaged and active doesn't necessarily mean they were better at their roles. I think the current lot show a good balance.

Members were of a 'high calibre', huh. Maybe that's why I never participated.
    There are members here who have all kinds of qualifications in philosophy. But there are also those who just want to read, think and write critically and creatively.
    Was the other forum so exclusive, then ?
    Did you perform better there?

I love to read the writings of the better informed and the creative explorers.
    Some threads are way beyond my comprehension.
    However, there is so much room here for most interests. I love that.

The current forum also has specific categories.
    Not seeing anything 'special' that marks the old place out.

You miss a particular poster's activity on certain topics ? Ethics and Philosophy of Language .
    Well, that might have happened anyway. As you know, people and circumstances change.

I just don't get all the yearning for the 'good old days' that some here express.
    If posters were of a 'high calibre', they would 'get over it', no ?

Thanks for the natter :smile:
  • Shawn

Yes, a wallow is in order.
  • Amity

:roll: :yawn: :smile:
  • Amity

:smile:
    A cold hose down might perk you up !
    Do you have a piggy collection you dust down daily ? :nerd:
    Sorry, way off topic - but then again...
  • Shawn

No cold water please. Just enjoy the wallowing.

• Michael
    Just because admin and mods were a little more engaged and active doesn't necessarily mean they were better at their roles. I think the current lot show a good balance.Amity

Nah, they’re shit.
  • Shawn

So wallowsome...
  • Amity

Speak for yourself :razz:
  • Michael
    Speak for yourself :razz:Amity

I am, and I'm the best of us. :wink:
  • Amity
    I'm the best of us.Michael

Course you are, babe :starstruck:

Give me a life time of promises and a world of dreams
    Speak the language of love like you know what it means
    Mm, and it can't be wrong, take my heart and make it strong, babe

You're simply the best, better than all the rest
    Better than anyone, anyone I ever met

I'm stuck on your heart, I hang on every word you say
    Tear us apart, baby, I would rather be dead
    — Tina
  • Shawn

As @unenlightened would say (who definitely deserves a mention) the most polished turdiest of turds, eh?
  • unenlightened
    Eh, what? Sex was much better in the old days.
  • Amity

You had sex with other mods at the old place :gasp:

So who were all in the gang then ?
  • unenlightened
    You had sex with other mods at the old placeAmity

Better sex. Do pay attention. This lot are so conservative.
  • Michael
    Better sex. Do pay attention. This lot are so conservative.unenlightened

Hanover does bring the average down. That's why we hired him. Gotta fill that diversity quota.
  • Amity

You have my full attention.
    Who was who, when, what and how ?
    Show yourselves !

Or perhaps Hanover has the better story...
  • unenlightened
    You have my full attention.Amity

I'll need a deal more than that for my kiss and tell stories.
  • Amity
    I'll need a deal more than that for my kiss and tell stories.unenlightened

Talking about diversity quotas...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.