• Aidan buk
    Hi all, I love Philosophy, I love reading it and writing about it. I've always been interested in boxing, finding that engagement in it or other fighting sports may be the only way in which to satisfy a throbbing discomfort I feel in myself, similar to the discomfort found in the face of a proposition which initially scrambles your brain. That confusion which is so painful yet so motivating. Anyway, I'm interested, what is your opinion on boxing / other combat sports? I'm going to begin boxing on Tuesday.
  • Shawn
    I used to practice boxing. It's a great stress reliever.

But, philosophy requires more subtlety and finesse.
  • Sir2u
    If you were really interested in seeing men fighting them you should start a broad sword fighting club and let them whack away at each other.

Seriously, how can anyone think it is fun and worth paying to see 2 men clobber each other in a ring and then cry blue murder about barbaric behaviour when they do the same thing in front of the pub?

Any kind of sport is OK for physical fitness but to put 2 guys in a ring to beat the shit out of each other for money is on the same level as dog fights.
  • RegularGuy

I never felt more alive than when I got a fistful of rings in the eye or the time someone smashed a beer glass in my face. I went off both times. I recommend it to anyone who feels dead inside so they can awake from their slumber. I’ve since moved on to the more subtle arts as Wallows called philosophy. But for anyone who’s depressed, perhaps what they really need is a good jack in the kisser. (But you didn’t hear that from me.) :wink:
  • Sir2u
    I never felt more alive than when I got a fistful of rings in the eye or the time someone smashed a beer glass in my face. I went off both times.Noah Te Stroete

Ahh, the good old days. :cool:
    Busted and scarred lips, nose, eye brows and knuckles. A 2x4 on the back of the head, a bottle on the back and a boot in the balls. And I never came out the loser. Except when they ripped my new suit, that made me cry.
    Manchester in the 60/70's was the place to be.
  • RegularGuy
    Ahh, the good old days. :cool:
    Busted and scarred lips, nose, eye brows and knuckles. A 2x4 on the back of the head, a bottle on the back and a boot in the balls. And I never came out the loser. Except when they ripped my new suit, that made me cry.
    Manchester in the 60/70's was the place to be.
    Sir2u

Haha! You sound cool.
  • Sir2u
    Haha! You sound cool.Noah Te Stroete

That reminds me of what the doctor who sewed up my back said. "You don't have to act cool around here, I know this fucking well hurts" He would not believe that I could not feel a thing. I have always had weird reactions to anesthetics, they either work too well or not at all. Hence my fear terror of dentists.
  • RegularGuy
    Hence my fear terror of dentists.Sir2u

Funny you mention that. I have an appointment to get a molar pulled tomorrow morning.
  • Sir2u
    Funny you mention that. I have an appointment to get a molar pulled tomorrow morning.Noah Te Stroete

I am half way through 8 appointments that I should have gone to 6 years ago when it was 3 appointments for emergency work to be done.

I paid the dentist up front so I have to go now or lose the money. :lol:
  • RegularGuy
    I paid the dentist up front so I have to go now or lose the money. :lol:Sir2u

Yeah, I should’ve gone a while back, too. I let it get to the point that I can feel my pulse in my tooth. :grimace:
  • god must be atheist
    I never fought in my life. In grade 1 a big boy wanted to push me over, and I stepped to the side, and left my foot there, and he fell. He got up, came at me from that direction now, I stepped to the side, left a foot there, and he fell. He never repeated. He was a fast learner, I figure now.

In grade 7 a small boy challenged me to fight him. I said I don't want to fight you. He talked me into going into an abandoned lot after school, to find a clearing to fight. No onlookers, just he and I. I felt really fucking bad. He came at me, and I pushed him over. He fell, he said, "You are supposed to kick me now, or something," and I shrugged my shoulders. He came up, and said, so you want peace, I said, yes, and we stopped the fight before it happened.

In grade 12 I was in a dormitory. Two big boys took a tiny little feller by the belt, and hung him on the door knob. The tiny feller was angry, kicking, and the two large boys did not even laugh. So next I know, maybe a couple of days later, the two big boys are all of a sudden on my two sides. They reached for my belt. I put my feet out to the side, held out my upper arms, hands on my waist, elbow out, and turned left, then right, and the two boys were on the ground. I don't know I did it. They never tried again on me or on the other boy. The other boy and I became lifelong friends.

These are the good news.

The bad news is that I always got roughed up by my best buddies back in the old country. A boy hit me when I was an asshole. He was my best buddy. Another boy, whom I knew through our fathers, hit me in the face so blood came out (he was immensely stronger than I) when I fouled up his piros ulti bid, and laughed at him, because I did it with a plank tener. Then another time, about a year after this incident, he mispoke his bid, and I demanded more points for his loss, but he insisted he had made a lower-value bid. I was adamant, so he stood up and kicked the shit out of me.
  • god must be atheist
    I paid the dentist up front so I have to go now or lose the money. :lol:
    — Sir2u

Yeah, I should’ve gone a while back, too. I let it get to the point that I can feel my pulse in my tooth. :grimace:
    Noah Te Stroete

Half my teef are falshe. I got implants in my old country, a one-time communist country. It's dirt cheap there, compared to the local prices where I reside.
  • Sir2u
    Half my teef are falshe. I got implants in my old country, a one-time communist country. It's dirt cheap there, compared to the local prices where I reside.god must be atheist

I am going to have to have a small bridge, no fucking way I am going to have implants. They are cheap here too, but I am too scared. A friend had one done and it went wrong, did he ever suffer.
  • god must be atheist
    They are cheap here too, but I am too scared. A friend had one done and it went wrong, did he ever suffer.Sir2u

I guess I got lucky. I have had six implants and three bridges, and they feel natural, I don't even know they are there. Absolutely no pain other than a day's worth of minor aches and quickly subsiding pain on the days of the surgeries.

My sister-in-law had it done here, in Toronto, and she was in agony for two weeks or more.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.