• Baskol1
    Is suicide always an irrational decision? And should suicides always be try to stopped? Or are there circumstances where it is an absolutely rational, and maybe even an morally right Decision? Or is life a gift and should never be thrown away? No matter how bad the circumstances may be? What makes suicide irrational?
  • khaled
    Is suicide always an irrational decision?Baskol1

I don't think so. If for whatever reason you have good reason to believe life will not get better and you hate it right now, then it's perfectly rational.

And should suicides always be try to stopped?Baskol1

I would say they should, but if it is determined that the person attempting suicide is doing so with full conscious awareness and no intoxication and with no easy way to help him that he would consent to, that then it should be assisted.

Or is life a gift and should never be thrown away?Baskol1

I see no evidence of this so ima say no. The burden of proof is on people making this statement.
  • Filipe
    I think that it is a mistake to say that something so extreme as suicide can be moral.
    I do not think that your life is a gift or even that has been given to me and I also believe that Morality is strongly attached to the moment in history, place and circumstance of every and each act so by saying that I cannot say that All of something is wrong or right.
    The problem with suicide is that it can be said that most of the times it is caused by an extreme condition or an extreme circumstance (It is also worth saying that suicides like someone in your house say that if you don't suicide they you murder your children is not an actual "suicide" because it was directly caused by an impossible decision) and it is logical that every extreme situation that happens needs to be dissected and given thought before any decision or actions take place.

On the other hand in a world of chaotic situations with absurd decisions made by people that don't really care can take a man to think that he is powerless and that none of his decisions will change anything, by looking at it this way it is possible to think about someone that did not choose when to be born, did not choose when to grow, did not choose what to be, did not choose your family.... to finally choose when to die.

In conclusion, I would state that all human life is equally important and that suicide is never an answer because it does not solve any of the problems that it may lead the person to it...
    Suicide may never fit in moral or immoral standards and it should not be considered logical or illogical it is that last decision that a person will ever make and to be tackled logically it should be considered every second of the person existence that utterly lead her to the moment
  • NickP
    When it comes to living and dying, I find that it is hard to make a case for either being inherently better than the other. This being said, it is generally difficult to determine if one is better than the other.

Frameworks are of incalculable importance here.

What is rational? Is rational what the collective feels is just? If so, then suicide is almost entirely irrational, as many are generally against it. There are exceptions, such as if one has been doomed with no way out, perhaps burdened with a disease such as ALS, or kidnapped by people who are to torture you. However, I again raise the question; what is rational?

Morals are generally comparable to rationality, at least to some degree, with regard to the collective.

What makes death preferable to life? Is a person simply preferring it enough? What else could be more compelling?
  • Artemis

Define suicide.

Is a terminally ill patient who will die in 3 months of agonizing pain and suffering anyway and who therefore intentionally ODs on morphine or just refuses treatment committing suicide?

Is a pack-a-day smoker committing suicide?

Is a soldier who throws himself on a grenade to save his comrades committing suicide? Or the mother who shields her son from gun-fire in an active shooter scenario?

Or is it just the depressed guy who shoots himself because his girlfriend cheated on him and took all his money?

Some of these are irrational and immoral, others are rational and moral, perhaps even altruistic.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment