• Caldwell
    Yet he has not, by all his experience, acquired any idea or knowledge of the secret power by which the one object produces the other; nor is it, by any process of reasoning, he is engaged to draw this inference. But still he finds himself determined to draw it: And though he should be convinced that his understanding has no part in the operation, he would nevertheless continue in the same course of thinking. — Hume

So, here Hume is practically 'chastising' the "habit" of ordinary way of looking at things. Whom is Hume referring to? Who is it that draws an inference without first negotiating a process of reasoning that does not involve his own experience? Can you think of a philosopher who does that?

I can think of a school of thought that could satisfy Hume's dissatisfaction here. Realism.
  • Ron Cram
    I no longer have that ambition to try to justify induction.Purple Pond

I can't help but wonder if you have read The Science of Scientific Inference by Wesley Salmon. It is quite good.

Also, I am not a fan of David Hume. I started a thread here asking "What advance in epistemological or metaphysical knowledge did David Hume bring us?" I invite you to come check it out.
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/6682/what-advance-in-epistemological-or-metaphysical-knowledge-did-david-hume-bring-us
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.