• deletedmemberMD
    Well... Here we go again. Another raving bloody loony in an office they have no business being in. I give him less than a year. That office is cursed now, just like the Defense against the Dark Arts teaching post at Hogwarts.

So lets get the ball rolling. With Boris in charge, what do we think will happen to the UK?

It should also be made aware that I am Scottish and while I will do the best to view this PM with the same impartiality that I normally would with those in other countries, I expect some of what I will say will in the end to be marginally biased to some degree.
  • ssu
    Ah, the bromance between Alexander Boris de Pfeffel and Donald John.

5d22f185a17d6c35f1522672-750-375.jpg

Perhaps it's only eclipsed by the bromance between Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn and President Bernard Sanders. :razz:
  • BC
    Well... Here we go again. Another raving bloody loony in an office they have no business being in.Mark Dennis

Exactly.

As a true Scotsman, what do you think are the chances of Scotland severing it's union with England?
  • Baden

Boris will immediately shift to the left, if not in rhetoric, in practice. And he'll blame moderates for thwarting him when he fails to do what he has no intention of doing, i.e. delivering Brexit by October 31, which will give him cover against the Brexit Party for the next general election. So, interesting set-up. The good news is the last thing he really wants is a no-deal Brexit because that's all that stands in the way of his utopian lies about the economics of which being exposed as such. Added to that, kept alive as an ideal, it can remain the totem under which he continues to lullaby his Daily-Mail-chewing base to sleep. In other words, he's said exactly what you would expect a self-serving arsehole to say to win over the Conservative activists necessary to beat Hunt to the PMship. And now he will do exactly what you would expect a self-serving arsehole to do to keep himself in the PMship for as long as possible, which does not include delivering the unattainable Brexit dream but extending the false quest for it to legendary proportions.

• Michael
    I hear he'll lose a vote of no confidence tomorrow leading to a General Election and a Lib Dem majority.

If only.

Apparently the first thing he said as Prime Minister was "Good morning". In the afternoon.
  • deletedmemberMD
    since it was him that won the race, I think there is a high probability that independence in Scotland might happen within the next decade. However, since BoJo will last less than a year, a labour government winning the next general election still has time to happen in order to reduce the urgency of an independence cry and if the SNP don’t act quickly the momentum could die out long before referendum day. I mean, the people of Scotland may even under a new labour government decide that it just isn’t worth the long term risk of union undermining interests getting into power again and sending us backwards again for us it to ride the wave all the way to independence however far away the referendum may be and however long it takes to remove ourselves from the union after that.

I don’t feel Jeremy Corbyn is the man for the job of PM. While I think he’d be better served writing legislation I think he’s been in the negative spotlight of the BBC for too long to have a realistic hope of winning a majority for labour.

If Scotland do leave the union, it may have a domino effect and we may see an independent wales, a unified Ireland and there are even some regions of England that may break off too, Cornwall particularly.

The polls among the English indicate that they care more about Brexit being carried out than they do about maintaining the union and I don’t think labour can win against the tide of ignorance surrounding the Brexit issue right now. I’m open to a compelling argument that might be more optimistic toward the possibility the union is maintained. Unless Brexit is derailed though, I think it will be the end of the United Kingdom. The hurdles and benefits for Scotland in such a case are many of both.
  • deletedmemberMD
    Lib Dem Majority? I don’t even feel like I know enough to even decide whether or not this would be a good or bad thing. The coalition with the conservatives before still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
  • S
    I doubt hard right scum like Jair Bolsonaro would be congratulating Jeremy Corbyn if he had just become Prime Minister.

I don't predict a no-deal scenario under Johnson, as surely that would be political suicide, as, it seems to me, would a delay or an extension to negotiations past his own 'do or die' deadline of 31st October. So it seems he's stuck between a rock and a hard place, and now simply must get a deal through parliament. Although maybe @Baden is right, and we could end up in a scenario where parliament blocks a no-deal and Johnson can then blame them for it.

Can he really solve the Backstop issue in time? Can he get a deal through parliament in time? I guess we'll see. I also can't see him lasting long. And I hope I'm right. He's for tax cuts for the rich, he has a record of gross incompetence, he has made comments suggestive of racism, sexism, homophobia, and islamophobia, he has a bad character, he deliberately evades giving straight and honest answers to questions, he's shallow and out for himself...
  • Michael
    The coalition with the conservatives before still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.Mark Dennis

Get over it.
  • Baden
    Can he really solve the Backstop issue in time?S

I would say there is no "solving" the backstop issue. There is only capitulation from the UK or more pretending. For 'backstop', read 'The Good Friday Agreement'. That ain't being given up.
  • BC
    I also can't see him lasting long. And I hope I'm right. He's for tax cuts for the rich, he has a record of gross incompetence, he has made comments suggestive of racism, sexism, homophobia, and islamophobia, he has a bad character, he deliberately evades giving straight and honest answers to questions, he's shallow and out for himself...S

Right. Well, many of us truthfully said the same thing about one Donald Trump, and it seems quite possible that he could get re-elected. No one every went broke underestimating the intelligence of the electorate. If you can fool enough of the people enough of the time, you can get elected and re-elected.
  • deletedmemberMD
    How about you just share your source or reasoning behind why the Lib Dems would get in and lets not resort to childish remarks about the past. These are supposed to be impersonal conversations. If you have nothing to offer but buzz phrases entirely absent of wit or substance then you might as well just shut up and get over how useless you are being to this conversation.

Now do you have something important to say that isn't immature?
  • Michael
    If you have nothing to offer but buzz phrases entirely absent of wit or substance then you might as well just shut up and get over how useless you are being to this conversation.Mark Dennis

Hi, I'm Michael. Most of what I say is useless and lacks substance. But I like to think that I'm occasionally witty.
  • S
    I would say there is no "solving" the backstop issue. There is only capitulation from the UK or pretending. For 'backstop', read 'The Good Friday Agreement'. That ain't being given up.Baden

Boris mentioned "alternative arrangements" to the backstop. Do you think that that's a pretence then? I have to say, I'm sceptical of these "alternative arrangements".
  • S
    Right. Well, many of us said the same thing about one Donald Trump, and it seems quite possible that he could get re-elected. No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the electorate. If you can fool enough of the people enough of the time, you can get elected and re-elected.Bitter Crank

Yeah, he has a similar appeal as that of Trump to a certain group. I realise that. But I'm thinking more about the practicalities of what he has to get through in order to stay in power. It's not comparable to Trump's situation. Boris has to deliver on Brexit, and all of his strongly worded rhetoric, whilst at the same time, if he actually took us out without a deal, as he has threatened, or if that seemed imminent, then I predict that the opposition would be so strong as to spell his downfall. So he has no easy task ahead. Remember, Brexit has already been the downfall of two previous Prime Ministers: David Cameron and Theresa May.
  • deletedmemberMD
    You probably are witty sometimes. Not this occasion though as I'm hard to impress when it comes to comedy. There is nothing funny about sitting down behind a laptop and trying to make jokes at other peoples expense... That's why it's called Stand up comedy! Bahdumtssss...
  • Baden

Notice woolly phrasing of exactly zero substance. Try searching for the 'alternative arrangements' he's referencing and you'll find nought that hasn't been outright rejected by the EU and Ireland. There's more likelihood of Norwich City winning the league next season than of the backstop being dropped. (A joke in there about canaries and coal mines which I can't be bothered extracting. :D )

Tbh, I think Trump actually believes a lot of the stupid shit he comes out with whereas Johnson is purely a mop-topped heat-seeking missile for power. There is literally nothing else to him but machination.

Swinson might surprise you. She's got just the pizzazz the Lib Dems need and at just the right time. They won't win it, but they'll complicate matters and that's a huge improvement on being irrelevant.
  • S
    There is nothing funny about sitting down behind a laptop and trying to make jokes at other peoples expense... That's why it's called Stand up comedy! Bahdumtssss...Mark Dennis

:grimace:
  • S
    Swinson might surprise you. She's got just the pizzazz the Lib Dems need and at just the right time. They won't win it, but they'll complicate matters and that's a huge improvement on being irrelevant.Baden

They can keep Chuka.
  • Baden

Yeah, not a fan either.
  • deletedmemberMD
    I know, it was awful. Sue me.
  • S
    Jeremy Corbyn (Labour): "Boris Johnson has won the support of fewer than 100,000 unrepresentative Conservative Party members by promising tax cuts for the richest, presenting himself as the bankers' friend, and pushing for a damaging no-deal Brexit. But he hasn't won the support of our country."

Jo Swinson (Lib Dems): "Boris Johnson has finally got his hands on the keys to Number 10, but he has shown time and time again that he isn't fit to be the prime minister of our country. Whether it is throwing people under the bus or writing a lie on the side of one: Britain deserves better than Boris Johnson."

Caroline Lucas (Green Party, no comment from leaders): "Around 100,000 Tory party members have inflicted on us a prime minister with a record of bigotry, racism, lying and incompetence. This is not democracy This is not in our name."

Anna Soubry (The Independent Group for Change): "It's a very bleak day for our country. It's as stark as that. He's called the great charlatan for good reason. And he is absolutely shameless in his ability to shift his position."

Nicola Sturgeon (SNP): "I congratulate Boris Johnson on his election as Tory leader and I will do everything possible to ensure that he respects Scotland's views and interests. However, I have profound concerns about the prospect of his premiership and it would be hypocritical not to be frank about these."

Adam Price (Plaid Cymru): "During the most serious political crisis in decades, a clown is set to become prime minister. But this is no joke. People will soon realise, this isn’t as good as it gets. By electing Boris Johnson, the question of Welsh independence is not of ‘if’, but ‘when’."

Arlene Foster (DUP): "Congratulations to Boris Johnson on becoming Conservative Party Leader. Look forward to discussing our shared objectives of strengthening the Union, delivering Brexit and restoring devolution."

Michelle O'Neill (Sinn Fein): "We will continue to work with the Dublin government and the EU27 to protect Ireland from the catastrophic impact of the reckless Brexit being pursued by Boris Johnson and the hard Brexiteers."
  • Shawn
    A pig...
  • Baden
    Whether it is throwing people under the bus or writing a lie on the side of one

:lol: But :cry:
  • BC
    Johnson is purely a mop-topped heat-seeking missile for powerBaden

A bomb? Yes, in so many ways; a heat-seeking missile... Donald and Boris are both too much the lard ass to soar. They roll and crush.

In America, each new bad president makes the last bad president look better in retrospect. Do you think Boris will improve May or Cameron?
  • Baden
    Do you think Boris will improve May or Cameron?Bitter Crank

Perhaps. If his election prompts a suicide pact between them.

... j/k. To your question, yeah, bring back MayBot and/or greasy PR guru, big Dave. We miss your moderately less grevious sins against humanity.
  • Michael
    ... j/k. To your question, yeah, bring back MayBot and/or greasy PR guru, big Dave. We miss your moderately less grevious sins against humanity.Baden

How about John Major.
  • fishfry
    I don't know much about the guy. I read today that he once said of Hillary Clinton:

She’s got dyed blonde hair and pouty lips, and a steely blue stare, like a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/11/boris-johnson-sings-hillary-clinton-praises

Works for me!
  • Janus
    BoJoMark Dennis

Pity his name is not Bloris Jobson!
  • Wayfarer
    As I understand it, Johnson's only task is to get the Parliament to vote 'yes' for something that they have already voted against three times previously. All the blather aside, that's the only task he has. EU has said they're not re-negotiating, and the Conservatives have said they won't allow 'no deal', leaving precisely one, and only one, option.
  • Janus
    What would that "one option" be? Failure? Walking the plank?

Seriously though, I see at least two possible (even if not likely to be achieved) options: get Parliament to vote yes, or get the EU to re-negotiate. Can he deliver? Someone (whatever we might feel about him or her) has to deliver something, so GO BO JO!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.