• TheMadFool
    I think the whole concept of freedom is nothing more than an artifact of circumstances. I mean it has meaning only in a context which itself was simply a product of chance.

The issue of freedom arose only because oppression, the absence of freedom, existed and provided the backdrop against which all freedom struggles began. We exist in a time in history where the oppression of the past still persists albeit in a weaker state. Thus, even now, we find freedom relevant and wish to free ourselves and others from the remaining vestiges of totalitarianism.

Had it been, and it was, the opposite we would've been fighting for control of some kind and not freedom. Look at religion, an important organizational structure for humans. To use Christianity, aren't the 10 commandments a method of control rather than freedom? All other forms of control can be so understood. It appears that in the past, way back in time, the problem wasn't oppression but freedom, too much of it. So, religion was invented to rein in excessive freedom.

So, we could say that the history of the world can be framed around the back and forth between chaos (too much freedom) and oppression (too less freedom). The first stage was the chaos of excessive freedom, then religion and other social structures were invented or discovered as control mechanisms. Then the pendulum swung the other way and oppression through slavery, tyranny became prevalent. As a reaction the so many freedom struggles began and now we're almost done with it - most people are now free at the desired level to calm things down. However, if the pattern I described is real we're moving towards chaos - unbridled freedom - and will usher in a new era of oppression. The pendulum it seems has no intention of stopping at the right place and time.
  • Eiwar
    Freedom is ability to take responsibility for your life in front of yourself.
123456Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.