• Pattern-chaser
    It cannot be denied that there IS only one of YOUR perspective. It requires a leap of faith to believe that there are other perspectives.Norman Stone

On the contrary, multiple perspectives are usually a central part of being human. Different ways of looking at things can be hugely valuable and useful, IME.

Solipsism is one of the least creative of alternative ontologies. No wonder solipsists are so lonely..Norman Stone

The use of solipsism is as a lesson: no matter how daft a theory might be, it can only be refuted by evidence. And if there is no evidence, there can be no refutation. So, no matter how odd or unlikely you think solipsism is, it cannot be refuted. This applies to all theories which are possible but for which there is no evidence.
  • Norman Stone
    By "perspective", I meant the narrative and experiential perspective that is me. I agree that we can take various positions on ideas and beliefs, but experientially there is only the one me.

I believe that anyone who holds the position of solipsism must have a deeper agenda, answering the question, "So what?" And I mistrust all such agenda. Hence my tongue-in-cheekitude.
  • fresco
    The best refutatation is these...my socially acquired words which you are reading now!
    (apologies if this has been covered in the comments from others above !)
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.