• Theologian
    I've just been checking this place out a bit, thinking about whether this is somewhere I want to post. One thing that does trouble me though: no privacy policy. At least, not one that I can find.

If you check out the Terms of Service, besides covering the intellectual property rights we give away by posting here, they don't have anything to say about how our data is used, stored, or shared.

I have posted in a couple of other threads about this, as well as privately messaging jamalrob. So far without much in the way of response.
  • Shawn
    The secret is out. This forum is actually an attempt to create the ultimate AI philosopher by building a database of responses to philosophical questions.

I for one am content with the situation.
  • I like sushi
    The worst and most ignorant ‘philosopher’ ever? ;)
  • Shawn
    The worst and most ignorant ‘philosopher’ ever? ;)I like sushi

Well, given that we are having a halcyon period of Wittgenstein reading groups, I suppose our collective efforts will result in the AI being a quietist.
  • Wayfarer
    The only piece of data necessary to share is an email address. If you use a VPN or post from 4G then even your own IP address is concealed. So apart from that, there's nothing apart from your content - what you enter - that is collected, so far as I know.
  • Terrapin Station
    The secret is out. This forum is actually an attempt to create the ultimate AI philosopherWallows

We'd better start recruiting if that's the goal.
  • S
    Oh. You're one of those people. :roll:

You people are annoying. "Hi, I would like a refund". "Ok, I'll just need to take a few details". Proceeds to have a tantrum.
  • Theologian

So far the only person here having a tantrum is you, S.
  • Shawn
    So far the only person here having a tantrum is you, S.Theologian

He's just looking for love.
  • Theologian

I'm tempted to add "In all the wrong places."

But hey, this is only my seventh post. So what would I know?
  • Shawn
    I'm tempted to add "In all the wrong places."Theologian

Q.E.D. Unless it's philosophy, right?
  • Theologian

Ooh... You got me there!

I had to think for a few seconds before that penny dropped! :wink:
  • Shawn
    Ooh... You got me there!

I had to think for a few seconds before that penny dropped! :wink:
    Theologian

So, what's on your mind as of late in terms of philosophy? I loved Walden Two by B.F. Skinner, in my youth; but, thought it would only apply to places where the law is so strictly enforced that it leaves no room of indecision or apathy or angst.
  • Theologian

A bunch of stuff.

I did an undergraduate major in psych way back when. I discovered Skinner and have long considered myself a methodological behaviorist, unfashionable though that may be. I spent many essays fruitlessly attempting to explain to my lecturers why they were wrong.

Though to be honest I found Walden Two (which I started but did not finish) unintentionally hilarious. Sorry. :sad: I always think the best and clearest point of entry into Skinner's work is his 1950 paper "Are Theories of Learning Necessary?"; especially the first and final sections. You don't really need to read the middle part unless you're interested in the technical details of operant conditioning.

More recently I started a philosophy degree out of interest. The "Favorite Philosophers" you'll find on my profile reflect the fact that I think it's still far too soon for me to meaningfully choose any actual philosophers. The ones I feel most drawn to (like Camus) are still people I know only (or primarily) at second hand.

There's a thread on whether the "A" theory of time means time travel is impossible. I have some ideas on that question myself, so I've been thinking of joining that.

There are also a bunch of ideas I have in various states of readiness for posting. These are primarily my own reactions to the stuff I've been taught in my coursework, and so range from Kantian deontology to logical fatalism.

But... I'm still getting the hang of this place.
  • Shawn

What are your thoughts about Ludwig Wittgenstein? You'll find his name dropped around here like crazy.
  • Theologian

Aside from him being a beery old swine, you mean?

I'm interested, but honestly, I don't know enough to say. I have thought of tackling the Tractatus at some point.
  • Shawn
    Aside from him being a beery old swine, you mean?Theologian

Haha, you either love him or hate him, I suppose. And by love, I mean intense adoration.

I'm interested, but honestly, I don't know enough to say. I have thought of tackling the Tractatus at some point.Theologian

Have a look: https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/3558/ongoing-tractatus-logico-philosophicus-reading-group/p1
  • Theologian

So far my philosophical studies are quite limited. I did Philosophy of Psychology (really a philosophy of mind course) and Formal Logic in my undergraduate degree. And I recently finished first year philosophy as part of my current degree (two units down, two HD's - Yay me! :razz: ). But... HD's or not, as you might expect, there are still huge gaps in my knowledge of the discipline as a whole.
  • Shawn

Awesome possum. Looking forward to any new topics of yours.
  • Theologian

Why thank you! I'll try not to disappoint! :wink:
  • Theologian

Incidentally, I have a question for you that I've been thinking about. If you're a big fan of Wittgenstein, I imagine you have more than a passing acquaintance with the philosophy of language. My question is, to what extent has that sub-discipline dealt with the relationship between syntax and logic?

I ask because it seems to me that important philosophical arguments are often ultimately points of grammar.

Which could well be a thread in itself!
  • Shawn
    My question is, to what extent has that sub-discipline dealt with the relationship between syntax and logic?Theologian

The answer to the question, in my opinion, lies within the field of pragmatics, which eventually became a field of science from the womb of philosophy. Definitely an unsung hero that Peirce was.
  • Theologian

Hmm... will have to look into this. Cheers.

Alternatively, I might just start a thread on the subject, go out on a limb, and see if anyone can saw me off! =P
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet