• Shawn
    I've become religious as of recent, well I've always been religious; but, it's been in dormancy until realizing that in essence, I have so little under control (in reality) that I feel compelled to believe in a higher power guiding my life through the conscious decisions I make. I understand that I have a free will and also that having a goal is important in life to strive towards as to not fall into a state of apathy and angst as I have felt in the past. I feel like expressing an attitude of "sheer will" and "self-determination" is almost futile given the pangs of emotions that roll through one's existence. However, a cold and resolute sense of purpose and dedication are more valuable traits to have in trying to realize one's dreams/aspirations/goals...

But, at the end of the day, I surrender my existence to the will of God and hope He helps me guide me to my goal as there are always unforeseen events that influence one's life and decisions. Am I professing an attitude of futility or fatalism? It would seem like the Stoic slaves would have also resorted to thinking about their lives as in the hands of the Gods.

Is this attitude contrary to the Stoic ethos? Why or why not?

• Punshhh
    I don't know if I could be described as a Stoic, but I do contemplate the idea of aligning my will with the will of God. Although I don't hold a belief in God, I am not a believer, I do consider that there is something equivalent to the will of God in nature and myself which I am contemplating. But also that in a sense I am god (in my own life) and I am therefore aligning my will with the will of my being. I have also affirmed thy will not mine be done. While also striving in a creative sense to build myself anew in the direction and nature I seek.
  • Barry Etheridge
    I surrender my existence to the will of GodQuestion

But you don't do that at all. Did you eat breakfast this morning (or some other meal if you're not a breakfast person)? If so then that is an act of will directed at maintaining your existence, the very opposite of surrender, and a sin to boot, in Christian theology at least. If it was possible for human beings to surrender their existence to God then there would be no need for any act of salvation by God and we could all march into heaven under our own steam.
  • CiceronianusAccepted Answer
    Just who are these "Stoic slaves"? Epictetus was one, I know, but Marcus Aurelius, Seneca, Zeno, Cleanthes and Chrysippus were not as far as I'm aware.

Speaking of Epictetus, the Enchiridion ends with these quotes:

"Conduct me, Jove, and you, O Destiny,
    Wherever your decrees have fixed my station."
    Cleanthes

"I follow cheerfully; and, did I not,
    Wicked and wretched, I must follow still
    Whoever yields properly to Fate, is deemed
    Wise among men, and knows the laws of heaven."
    Euripides, Frag. 965

Our fate is our fate, and will be our fate regardless of whether there is a God who determines it. A Stoic understands that it's outside the power of our will and so should not disturb us. But there's nothing I know of which would preclude a Stoic from believing in God.
  • Ashwin Poonawala
    I have come to the conclusion that if I had taken what came to me without arrogantly feeling that I deserved more, I would have achieved much more in the material world and would have acquired less worries and frustrations. It is my ego, making me feel that I am worthy of more, that spoiled the results of my efforts.

Ego manifests itself in the forms of greed and fear. Greed is fear of not having enough. All fears are self fulfilling professes.

All I had to do was to apply my abilities without pre-judging the outcomes. I look back, and see all the opportunities lost.

We can call this 'me against god' or 'me against fate'. I don't give this any label; it is just plain common sense to me.

I have total control over my will. I can choose to be lazy or to be active, and if be active, then what should be the direction of my actions. Should I use this will to compete against my fate, or to apply my abilities to their full potential in cooperation with my fate?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment