• Grre
    Disclaimer: I am Canadian, but have lived on and off throughout my life in various parts of the (South) United States. In Canada, guns and gun violence do exist. Just not in the amount, grandiosity, or frequency of the United States. You cannot buy a gun here in Walmart-nor can you get one without a long and thorough license process (for hunting). Gun violence largely exists due to the illegal guns imported across the border.

Key Points:
    • A recent gunman left 12 dead in Virginia Beach today.
    • This is just one of many mass shootings that have taken place in the United States this year (105). Let alone in the past few years. Just this month a high school student lost his life tackling another student who had brought a gun to school with the intention to shoot his classmates. Last year a high school in Florida, the student protests brought the issue to mainstream attention. It seems that gun violence and mass shootings are a regular occurrence in America, something I grew up with the news of. Even here in Canada we had lock down drills with these events in mind.
    • This does not even begin to describe another gun issue, that of family fire-the accessibility of firearms in the family home leading to children/toddler's accidentally shooting themselves or others, and the corroborating rate of domestic shootings with guns owned in the house.
    • This is a severe problem in the United States, more so than anywhere else. With the growing hyper-individualism, right wing reactionists, and of course, the monetary interests of the NRA vice-gripping the American government, I don't see this getting better anytime soon.
    • Of course I understand the 'constitutional' history of gun ownership-it is meant to protect citizens from tyranny of government. What must be understood though, is that this was written centuries ago, long before the invention of modern guns that make rapid (and de facto accurate) firing easy and extremely dangerous. It takes no skill to pick up a semi-automatic, untrained depressed teens can do it. Also what people fail to understand, the next civil war (if there is to be one on American soil) will not be fought with guns, at least, not on the civilian side. The American Military far outnumbers any other military in the world let alone the pathetic efforts of rural, illiterate, and dogmatic Americans that largely makeup the pro-gun demographic, therefore, the concept of "protecting" oneself and one's property from government tyranny with firearms is eh...useless. If anything, the next civil war will be fought digitally (in some shape or form)
    • In no way am I implying that violence in America is somehow unique to America. Violence has arguably existed for as long as humans have existed, and at least, as long as agriculture and the concept of 'property' have existed. What has changed is the physical and moral ease in which technology has allowed people to be violent, extremely violent, and kill. My home city suffered a terrible domestic terrorism event last year, a man drove a van across the sidewalks during rush hour, killing a dozen or so, of course, van rentals are quite more benign than gun ownership. Though that being said, I do understand that guns don't kill people, people kill people, but guns make it super easy to kill people-even from a moral sense. Much easier to be morally detached when shooting random people from afar, than actively coming close, smelling their aftershave, sensing their pheromones releasing fear hormones, hearing their whimpering, feeling their bones crack beneath the impact ect.... I couldn't stab someone (probably) except in terrible cases of self defence, but I have been mad enough that I could have picked up a gun and shot someone in the heat of the moment, or shot myself in the heat of an intense anxiety attack or depressive episode.

I also do not blame video games. While video games certainly help acclimatize children to violence-violence has always existed in some form, in the public sphere ie. public executions has equally helped desensitize and brutalize people to violence.

• My question of course, is multi-faceted, but it begins with, what do we do? What is the future? America is revealing some alarming tendencies-stripping human rights, over consumption and economic hyper individualism-the right is reacting to 'perceived' threats from the Left (as happens it seems, every 25-30 years)-but this is also a country with an alarming rate of class stratification, illiteracy, and various forms of overt oppression and brutality-not the least of which the recent attempt to ban abortions.
  • Banno
    It will not. They are insane.
  • Shawn
    Yes, it's a desperate situation. Though, there is some hope.
  • Maw
    It was pretty clear since Sandy that nothing will change for many years
  • praxis
    The issue is heavily politicized, so not for a long time. We Americans are like...

Funny-Sheep-Facts-1200x800.jpg

And easily lead to slaughter.
  • Wayfarer
    Whilst the delusion that guns = freedom persists there is no hope of change.
  • I like sushi
    The general impression I have - as an outsider - is that people in the US live with a greater sense of paranoia than elsewhere. I’m not just saying this as a floating thought, but in respect to how people from the US have commented on living in other countries and from comments from my father who visits the US every year and is asked “How can you feel safe in the UK walking around without a gun?”

Admittedly the later is from a guy who is a member of a church which told him he needed a bigger hand gun in order to remain a member of the parish ... I think there seems to be enough of this paranoia instill in US culture that it inevitably bubbles over as social stress presses home.

There is certainly a dark culture of one-up-manship that is becoming more prevalent in societies where social media has gripped us by the throat - that said I am still for social media and it is likely a case of a generation gap leading to conflict. I imagine the younger generations coming through will understand firsthand the power of mass communication and be in a better position to cope with it.
  • Streetlight
    “How can you feel safe in the UK walking around without a gun?”I like sushi

I've been asked this in Australia by an American as well. I found it an insane question.
  • Shamshir
    Why are you acting like this is an American problem when it's clearly global?
  • Streetlight
    No other comparable country is even in the ballpark of murderousness as the US when it comes to firearms; it is a distinctly, disgustingly American problem:

kmff2wkt7yytxnea.png
    source

9l7nu0gurq3j3epv.png
    source
    Attachment
    Capture2 (22K)
  • Shamshir
    Firearms are irrelevant. Everyday on the news I hear someone killed his wife or kid or both.
    Everyday 10 people die from famine, another 10 from car 'accidents', another 5 get their house burned down, another 5 middle schoolers die in a fight and so on.

Proportionally violence is much more rampant where I live than in the US, but I'm still worried about the elderly Japanese who commit crime to get shelter.
    It's not a US problem, guns or no guns.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Ok buddy.StreetlightX

America has already stopped. :grin:

The overwhelming majority of gun violence comes from the very same place it has for over half a century - the hood. So let's stop pretending (extemporaneously speaking, of course) that these few and far between gun assaults in non-impoverished inner city venues are the real issue. Prior to Columbine H.S., there was zero general concern for gun control (particularly on the political scene). How very coincidental.
  • Streetlight
    Ooh its just black people. Whole bunch of poor people too. That's OK then.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Ooh its just black people. Whole bunch of poor people too. That's OK then.StreetlightX

Lol, with all due respect.

But in communities dominated by illegal commerce, I dont see how the ""blacks"" and ""poors"" benefit. It's a funny paradox.
  • Tzeentch
    The American Military far outnumbers any other military in the world let alone the pathetic efforts of rural, illiterate, and dogmatic Americans that largely makeup the pro-gun demographic, therefore, the concept of "protecting" oneself and one's property from government tyranny with firearms is eh...useless.Grre

Oh, the irony. Do you watch the news at all?
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    "protecting" oneselfGrre

That would make nice thread.
  • Terrapin Station
    Not that I'm saying this as a way to telegraph a position on gun availability (see the end of the post for my position on that), but it seems to me that it's a much broader, more complicated socio-cultural issue (or rather complex of issues) in the U.S.

What we need to figure out is why the people who are snapping are snapping and tackle those issues. My suspicion is that the core of it is often a combo of survival pressures and relative isolation or marginalization, when those are felt by someone who has the "right" combo of mental issues. As was the case here, many of these shootings have been precipitated by loss, and often, as in this case, a lost job.

In the U.S., there's not a feeling of a "social safety net." Especially as folks get older, they worry about how they're going to find another job--as there seems to be a lot of age discrimination (combined with wanting to hire younger employees because you can pay them less), and in conjunction with that, people worry about a loss of health care, an inability to keep paying rent/a mortgage/car payments, etc., and so on.

On top of this, a lot of people feel relatively isolated or marginalized, which is due to a number of both cultural and geophysical factors.

And because of the health care issues we have, a lot of people with mental problems do not get help (or even get diagnosed). You have to worry about insurance covering it, it's expensive otherwise, and of course there's a cultural stigma associated with it.

None of these sorts of things are easy to change.

So finally re gun availability, my stance is that we should try any and every approach, from a complete gun ban on one extreme to mandatorily arming and training everyone on the other extreme, and then any and everything in between--to see if any different approach would lessen gun violence, or in other words, my stance is "We should do whatever would work to lessen gun violence"--I don't actually care about what the gun laws would happen to be. I care about what, if anything, would work to decrease gun violence. We'd need to experiment to see what might work in our particular culture.

If the issue is primarily cultural instead of just hinging on the availability of guns, then probably no gun availability stance will have much effect. It's much easier to focus on guns than it is to focus on the more complex socio-cultural (and political) issues, such as fixing our health care system, our approach to employment, cultural norms that make it easy to be isolated or marginalized, etc. I do think that tackling the gun issue is worthwhile--because who knows, maybe it would have some effect, but my suspicion is that that's not going to really be the problem.
  • Pattern-chaser
    Why are you acting like this is an American problem when it's clearly global?Shamshir

Because, with one or two exceptions, this is an American problem. Other countries don't allow guns. Still other countries do allow guns, but their citizens rarely shoot each other. As you Americans say: go figure.
  • Shamshir
    Other countries don't allow guns. Still other countries do allow guns, but their citizens rarely shoot each other.Pattern-chaser
    Because offenders are quickly disarmed. Go figure.

Because, with one or two exceptions, this is an American problem.Pattern-chaser
    The tools change, but war lives on. Are mass stabbings and being run over by a car better? :roll:
  • Pattern-chaser
    Because offenders are quickly disarmed.Shamshir

No, it's just that, in general, they don't shoot each other. I believe Switzerland and Canada are good examples of countries that allow guns, but whose citizens manage to resist the temptation to kill one another. :chin:

Are mass stabbings and being run over by a car better?Shamshir

So you will allow guns because there are other causes of death? That's logical....
  • Shamshir
    Give Serbia guns and watch another Balkan War.
    It's not that people resist the urge, PC, it's that any such attempt leads to a civil and consequently world war.

The recently attemped coup at Turkey illustrated that quite well. The governments far east are holding down the floodgates to a civil war and you're unlikely to hear about it, because it's not reported. :smile:

America being so public about anything irrelevant leaves the impression that the problem is exclusive only to it.
    And yeah, I do find America's failure in homeland security irrelevant, when governments have started arming themselves with nuclear arms again.
  • Pattern-chaser
    Give Serbia guns and watch another Balkan War.Shamshir

So you agree that free access to guns is a Bad Idea?
  • Pattern-chaser
    It's not that people resist the urge, PC, it's that any such attempt leads to a civil and consequently world war.Shamshir

Wait! Are you saying here that removing guns from general circulation would CAUSE civil and world war? :gasp:
  • Shamshir
    So you agree that free access to guns is a Bad Idea?Pattern-chaser
    No, free access to guns is not a bad idea. Desensitizing the public to violence through entertainment is a bad idea.

If you ban guns, please ban cars as anyone can simply get in his car and run over a dozen people at will. :smile:
    Any kid could stab another kid with a pencil in the neck, but they mostly don't; sometimes they do however, and it's not because of the pencil, is it? :roll:

Wait! Are you saying here that removing guns from general circulation would CAUSE civil and world war? :gasp:Pattern-chaser
    Didn't it already happen with the French Revolution? :chin:
    I distinctly remember a bunch of french peasants with makeshift weaponry committing regicide.
  • Pattern-chaser
    If you ban guns, please ban cars as anyone can simply get in his car and run over a dozen people at will. :smile:Shamshir

On a purely practical basis, cars have a use: transport. Guns are just for killing people. Even knives have other uses than stabbing people, although the case for them is nowhere near as clear as it is for cars.

Are you saying here that removing guns from general circulation would CAUSE civil and world war? :gasp: — Pattern-chaser

Didn't it already happen with the French Revolution?
    Shamshir

Did it? Did the removal of guns from French society cause the French Revolution? I'm not a history buff, but I'm not convinced that happened. Yes, there was a revolution, but it wasn't caused by the removal of guns from citizens. It was caused by the rich, who took everything and left the poor to starve. The poor had other ideas, eventually.
  • Shamshir
    Guns are just for killing people.Pattern-chaser
    Except they're not. They're for hunting wildlife and firearms displays and shooting competitions too. :grin:
    I'm sure you're well aware gunpowder's main and intended use was for fireworks displays at festivals; but much like atomic energy, it got quickly militarized, due to warmongering.

Did it? Did the removal of guns from French society cause the French Revolution? I'm not a history buff, but I'm not convinced that happened. Yes, there was a revolution, but it wasn't caused by the removal of guns from citizens.Pattern-chaser
    It was caused by a populace left to rot. That was unarmed, unless you count turning farming implements in to makeshift pikes and using their alcohol rations as molotov cocktails; in which case they would be highly armed - despite under severe famine.

The populace of the Balkans is also rotting away, and would cause a bloody revolt to start another World War if the government decided to forcibly seize people's armaments, due to the number of home invasions on the rise. The Balkans are already revolting, mind you, but the guise of 'democracy' is what's withholding a full blown civil war. Even rats grow furious when backed in to a corner. :smile:

Here, I'll give you another example as a freebie.
    When the Ottoman Turks took over Bulgaria, they confiscated all armaments and culled the populace far and wide, whilst also enlisting Bulgarian children in to their ranks - commanding them to kill their own parents. This suppression of the local populace did not stop it from revolting, it only served to fuel their hatred for the Turks and lead to many revolts.
  • Maw
    The main use of vehicles and knives is obviously not to kill, and guns are flexible in ways that cars are not, and deadlier in ways that knives are not, so the comparison is absurd. As the NYT pointed out, the singular explanation for US mass shooting are the abundance of available guns. Hand-waving deaths caused by guns whether homicide, mass shootings, suicide, etc. because there are alternative tools that can kill, are displays a nihilistic callousness; buffoonery dressed as intelligence.
  • Shamshir
    and guns are flexible in ways that cars are not, and deadlier in ways that knives are not, so the comparison is absurd.Maw
    And cars are flexible in ways guns are not.
    Also, how is a bullet to the brain deadlier than being beheaded or disemboweled?
    Do you think guns are deadlier because they've got range and rapid fire? Just load some fireworks with shrapnel, like you know... frag grenades?

As the NYT pointed out, the singular explanation for US mass shooting are the abundance of available guns.Maw
    It's not the abundance or availability of guns, it's an education rooted in violence.
    A pacifist with a hundred tommy guns won't shoot you, but a homicidal maniac will kill you with a fork, without a second thought.
    Go ahead, remove the guns and watch people go back to swinging pipes and bats and knives; they'll die just as often.

Hand-waving deaths caused by guns whether homicide, mass shootings, suicide, etc. because there are alternative tools that can kill, are displays a nihilistic callousness; buffoonery dressed as intelligence.Maw
    It's not waving deaths caused by guns, it's waving the presumption that deaths are caused by guns and not by people and positing that the same stones that were used to build walls, meaning to defend, were used to stone people to death, meaning to kill.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.