• Mathitis
    As humans, if we are just another animal, and other animals consumer one another of the same species, is it right then for humans to eat their dead?

There are many animals that practice cannibalism such as sharks, chickens, salamanders, and so on.

Following the Bolshevik Revolution atheism was widely practiced when the old order was thrown off. About two decades later during WWII during the Siege of Leningrad, the situation had become so dire that the local population resorted to cannibalism as a result of food shortages. Despite the common religious belief, those who were caught practicing cannibalism were legally punished.

To what end are people really animals? Is it right to consume human flesh? If not why?
  • Schzophr
    Ecosystem would deteriorate human wise.
  • DingoJones

Depends on what “cannibalism” is meant to entail. Nothing wrong with eating human meat per say, but if you are murdering humans in order to eat them I think you are going to have to explain how the murder is morally permitted.
  • Grre
    Eating human meat is, well, just meat. The horror associated with cannibalism is not due to the meat itself, but the practice of 'eating' a member of our specie, presupposes that we would have to kill said member to eat them. Its pragmatic to ban something that could encourage the stronger members of the species to kill weaker members. A lot of people believe various religions banned the practice of eating pork because it tastes (and is extremely like) human meat.
  • Frank Apisa
    Valentine Michael Smith figured it was not only moral...but obligatory.
  • Shamshir
    Polynesian tribes, old Mesoamericans and old Celts all practiced ritual cannibalism.

Is it right or wrong? Neither.
    Ritual cannibalism allows for the deceased to permeate through the living vessel and enhance it.
    But desecrating a corpse to fill your gut is shameful to both the consumer and the consumed.
  • Merkwurdichliebe

How do you know that meat you buy from the local butcher ain't human? :kiss:

Soylent Green M'F'ers!
  • Shamshir
    I've eaten my own meat. So either I'm human or I'm not.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    I've eaten my own meat. So either I'm human or I'm not.Shamshir

Better than eating your own shit. :grin:
  • Shamshir
    Unless you have a toothache.
  • sime
    Turn the question around: Is it right for humans to allow other animals to commit cannibalism?

Suppose that we can synthetically mass-produce artificial meat. Then in order to minimize earthly suffering, then ideally, shouldn't we enforce ALL carnivores within the animal kingdom to eat synthetic meat only and prevent them from killing for food?

What is the justification for not extending human ethics into the rest of the animal kingdom? Is it merely a matter of pragmatism?
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Then in order to minimize earthly suffering, then ideally, shouldn't we enforce ALL carnivores within the animal kingdom to eat synthetic meat only and prevent them from killing for food?

What is the justification for not extending human ethics into the rest of the animal kingdom? Is it merely a matter of pragmatism?
    sime

Humans are too busy eating each other. There is no justification. :grin:
  • Frank Apisa
    Shamshir
    ↪Merkwurdichliebe
    I've eaten my own meat. So either I'm human or I'm not.
    Shamshir

I've never been that flexible...although I gotta admit I have given it a try at times. My big worry was that I would break something and be found upside down in a corner unable to move.
  • Shamshir
    eaten my own meatShamshir
    I've never been that flexibleFrank Apisa
    It appears to me, we're eating two different kinds of meat, you and I. :sweat:
    But do tell me, in relation to the thread, would you consider your efforts cannibalistic?
  • Frank Apisa
    No, Shamshir...not cannibalism. :wink:

A joke actually. I thought that was where you were at with you comment.

As for the actual thread question:

One man's immorality is another's necessity.

Heinlein had Valentine Michael Smith's cannibalism as a true need. The Martians did not consider cannibalism to be immoral...and in fact, considered it a necessity.

Morals are a product of convenience and agreement.

I'm gonna do a thread on what is known as "bad language" or (even more absurd) "adult language."

Making certain sounds (speaking certain words) is considered vulgar.

Why? Why on Earth would there be agreement on something like that?
  • Shamshir
    The Martians did not consider cannibalism to be immoral...and in fact, considered it a necessity.Frank Apisa
    What Martians?

Morals are a product of convenience and agreement.Frank Apisa
    Nay. Moral is a pre-ordained law, whereas human moral convictions are supoositions.

Why? Why on Earth would there be agreement on something like that?
    Frank Apisa
    Because words carry great responsibility and can be misused.
    Adult words often show poor verbal hygiene and tend to be misused; which is the equivalent of eating with dirty hands, something you teach your children not to do.
    Does that answer your question?
  • Frank Apisa
    Shamshir

The Martians did not consider cannibalism to be immoral...and in fact, considered it a necessity. — Frank Apisa

What Martians?
    Shamshir

Heinlein's Martians. Stranger in a Strange Land.

Morals are a product of convenience and agreement. — Frank Apisa

Nay. Moral is a pre-ordained law, whereas human moral convictions are supoositions.

Nonsense. But we will talk more about this when I post the thread I'll eventually get to.

Why? Why on Earth would there be agreement on something like that? — Frank Apisa

Because words carry great responsibility and can be misused.

That I agree with completely. "Morals" is one. "Believe" and "belief" are two more. "Atheist" is one.

But "adult language!"

C'mon.

Adult words often show poor verbal hygiene...

Bullshit.

... and tend to be misused; which is the equivalent of eating with dirty hands, something you teach your children not to do.

More bullshit.

Does that answer your question?

It tell me a bit about how you feel on the topic.

I thank you for that.

When I post the thread...I hope you participate.

We will differ considerably on how we feel about the issue.
  • Shamshir
    Nonsense. But we will talk more about this when I post the thread I'll eventually get to.Frank Apisa
    It's just the natural order, buddy - which governs both our responses, mind you.

Bullshit.Frank Apisa
    See? Fecal matter. Poor hygiene.

More bullshit.Frank Apisa
    Yeah, more fecal matter. Are you trying to replace the word philosophy with 'the love of fucking wise shit'? Cause that's all adult language is good for in the layman's hands.
    And is the driving force of the modern ape.
  • Frank Apisa
    Shamshir

Nonsense. But we will talk more about this when I post the thread I'll eventually get to. — Frank Apisa

It's just the natural order, buddy - which governs both our responses, mind you.

Bullshit. — Frank Apisa

See? Fecal matter. Poor hygiene.

More bullshit. — Frank Apisa

Yeah, more fecal matter. Are you trying to replace the word philosophy with 'the love of fucking wise shit'? Cause that's all adult language is good for in the layman's hands.
    And is the driving force of the modern ape.
    Shamshir

Bullfuckingshit!

Anyway...I decided to do a quicky on the thread I talked about...and have posted it.

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/5949/adult-language

Stop by...if you are mature enough to deal with it.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Many believe that wanton killing is not a good thing. Killing is a serious action which needs to be only carried out for a good reason, and this needs to be respected. The good reason might be to eat the thing which has been killed. So when you feel the urge to kill your enemies you might need to justify this activity. That they are your enemies does not justify killing them, but eating them might.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.