• Frank Apisa
    “Adult language.”

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Does it mean language adults can use…but not non-adults?

Or does it mean that society has decided to pick out certain words (sound, actually) and insist that “proper” people not use those words in public?

I think the latter…and I think the notion stinks like an unwashed asshole.

If you want to comment on a male anatomical part known to some as a penis…why are there people who will arbitrarily demand that it not be called a cock…or pecker,? Why is “erection” okay…but hard on or boner not?

Why is the word “cuff” just fine, but pronounced backwards, considered offensive?

Why designate ANY words as offensive? Why not stop being offended by people using words at all?

More to come of my thoughts. But first…I’d like to hear yours.
  • Echarmion
    Why designate ANY words as offensive? Why not stop being offended by people using words at all?Frank Apisa

Not relevant to adult language, but language shapes belief. How people say things matters, because human psychology is sensitive to it.
  • Frank Apisa
    Echarmion

Why designate ANY words as offensive? Why not stop being offended by people using words at all? — Frank Apisa

Not relevant to adult language, but language shapes belief. How people say things matters, because human psychology is sensitive to it.
    Echarmion

I agree.

But, as you noted, not truly relevant to what I am suggesting. (Some considerations of it in this context will probably be made if others are willing to discuss it. But we are so deep in our feelings about adult language that many people will not even deign to discuss it.)

As for your comment, "...but language shapes belief"...I have MUCH more problem with words like "belief" or "believe" than I do with the words designated "adult."

Believe and belief seems to me to be useless words...used in so many ways as to make them unrealistic for communication.
  • Frank Apisa
    I like sushi
    WARNING! ADULT CONTENT:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJ7l0kfDic
    I like sushi

Egad!
  • Shamshir
    If you want to comment on a male anatomical part known to some as a penis…why are there people who will arbitrarily demand that it not be called a cock…or pecker?Frank Apisa
    Because then you're confusing synonyms of 'rooster' with penis and render children's vocabularies to a few misused words. Their vocabularies are already bad as it is, and applying your whim to the world philosophy will be forgotten in a decade and replaced with 'we da realest 1hunna'.

General Orders
    Head Quarters, New York, August 3rd 1776.
    Parole: Uxbridge.Countersign: Virginia

That the Troops may have an opportunity of attending public worship, as well as take some rest after the great fatigue they have gone through; The General in future excuses them from fatigue duty on Sundays (except at the Ship Yards, or special occasions) until further orders.1 The General is sorry to be informed that the foolish, and wicked practice, of profane cursing and swearing (a Vice heretofore little known in an American Army) is growing into fashion; he hopes the officers will, by example, as well as influence, endeavour to check it, and that both they, and the men will reflect, that we can have little hopes of the blessing of Heaven on our Arms, if we insult it by our impiety, and folly; added to this, it is a vice so mean and low, without any temptation, that every man of sense, and character, detests and despises it.
  • Terrapin Station
    Some examples of adult language:

"mortgage"
    "wrinkles"
    "tax season"
  • creativesoul
    Conflicting moral belief systems. Some think/belief that certain language use is acceptable. Others do not.

It's that simple to outline. The details, reasoning, and/or justification for what counts as acceptable/unacceptable is far greater in nuance.
  • Brett

Adult language will probably help you answer a lot of your questions.
  • Frank Apisa
    For me...the notion that someone will essentially say, "If you use certain words, I am going to be offended"...is so idiotic, it embarrasses me to have to deal with it.

To any of them, I say, "Just stop being offended by words."

Prick is as good a word as penis to indicate the male "member" (there's a beauty)...so why arbitrarily say one is acceptable and one is offensive?

Why agree to do that?

Coitus, copulation, intercourse...are all acceptable...but to use "fuck" for one of humanity's most enjoyable activities is offensive?

What kind of joke are we playing on each other?

Anyway...anyone who thinks use of those words (or any of the other offensive words) is indicative of a limited vocabulary...are dickheads. One can have an extensive vocabulary and still enjoy using those words. Fact is, a better case can be made that individuals who do not use those words are, de facto, more limited in vocabulary.
  • Brett
    For me...the notion that someone will essentially say, "If you use certain words, I am going to be offended"...is so idiotic, it embarrasses me to have to deal with it.Frank Apisa

I didn’t say I was offended.

Fact is, a better case can be made that individuals who do not use those words are, de facto, more limited in vocabulary.Frank Apisa

Go ahead, make your case.
  • Brett
    For me...the notion that someone will essentially say, "If you use certain words, I am going to be offended"...is so idiotic, it embarrasses me to have to deal with it.Frank Apisa

It’s worth considering that some of the words you are talking about are used specifically to be offensive, to insult someone or denigrate them. Let’s not pretend these words are always used innocently.
  • Shamshir
    Prick is as good a word as penis to indicate the male "member" (there's a beauty)Frank Apisa
    Would you also call a woman a cunt with the beauty of childbirth in mind?
  • Frank Apisa
    Brett

For me...the notion that someone will essentially say, "If you use certain words, I am going to be offended"...is so idiotic, it embarrasses me to have to deal with it. — Frank Apisa

I didn’t say I was offended.
    Brett

I didn't say you did.

Fact is, a better case can be made that individuals who do not use those words are, de facto, more limited in vocabulary. — Brett

Go ahead, make your case.[/quote]

Shouldn't have to. It is obvious. BUT...

...all other things being equal, a person unwilling to use certain words has fewer to use than someone willing to use those words. Fewer words = a more limited vocabulary.
  • Frank Apisa
    Brett

For me...the notion that someone will essentially say, "If you use certain words, I am going to be offended"...is so idiotic, it embarrasses me to have to deal with it. — Frank Apisa

It’s worth considering that some of the words you are talking about are used specifically to be offensive, to insult someone or denigrate them. Let’s not pretend these words are always used innocently.
    Brett

Egg Zacherly.

And the only way that can come to pass...is if people allow certain words to be "offensive."

In any case, if Rex Tillerson had called Trump stupid rather than a "fucking moron"...the insult would have been just as great. So why not stick with "fucking moron."
  • Frank Apisa
    Shamshir

Prick is as good a word as penis to indicate the male "member" (there's a beauty) — Frank Apisa

Would you also call a woman a cunt with the beauty of childbirth in mind?
    Shamshir

In a discussion of childbirth...rather than "...after passing through her cunt" should work just as well as "after passing through her vagina."

As for your specific question, if "woman" had become the "foul language" and "cunt" the accepted...you question would be formed in the opposite direction. Why have we decided that "cunt" is unacceptable? It is a word...a fucking word.
  • Brett

I don’t think these words exist by accident. You feel they should be for every day use. But if that happens then they’re no longer the word they were.
  • Frank Apisa
    Brett
    ↪Frank Apisa

I don’t think these words exist by accident. You feel they should be for every day use. But if that happens then they’re no longer the word they were.
    Brett

"I" is used every day...millions of times. Are you saying it no longer is the word it was?

"Don't" is used every day...millions of times. Are you saying it no longer is the word it was?

"Think" is used every day...millions of times. Are you saying it no longer is the word it was?

"These" "words" "exist" "by" "accident" are all used every day...millions of times. Are you saying they no longer are the words they are?
  • I like sushi
    Why is it directed my way? I almost completely agree. I may have worded it a little differently.

To quote Stephen Fry when someone says to him, “I find that offensive”:

“So fucking what!?”

We can always simply say back to them “I am offended by you taking offensive!” It goes nowhere fast.

Of course I would say that in certain circles certain speech is more acceptable. I’m not saying we should, or shouldn’t, all go around purposely trying to offend each other - sometimes it’s better to cause offensive than to try to not cause offensive because life is tough sometimes so you’re going to have to deal with more than mere words (ie. If you’re starving to death or coping with the death of a loved one). In those circumstances words can help mend, but it makes us realise that words have a very limited reach in both expressing emotions, complex ideas and thoughts.
  • Shamshir
    In a discussion of childbirth...Frank Apisa
    Then let's hold off the word fuck for discussions of intercourse, rather than air out our dirty laundry, using it every which way - what say you?
  • Frank Apisa
    I like sushi
    ↪Frank Apisa
    Why is it directed my way? I almost completely agree. I may have worded it a little differently.
    I like sushi

I directed it at everyone who had responded....because I wanted to keep everyone coming back. This has been a bugaboo with me for years.

I appreciate that you are of like mind about the issue.

To quote Stephen Fry when someone says to him, “I find that offensive”:

“So fucking what!?”
    — sushi

Stephen Fry is my kinda guy!:wink:

We can always simply say back to them “I am offended by you taking offensive!” It goes nowhere fast. — Sushi

Bingo!

Of course I would say that in certain circles certain speech is more acceptable. I’m not saying we should, or shouldn’t, all go around purposely trying to offend each other - sometimes it’s better to cause offensive than to try to not cause offensive because life is tough sometimes so you’re going to have to deal with more than mere words (ie. If you’re starving to death or coping with the death of a loved one). In those circumstances words can help mend, but it makes us realise that words have a very limited reach in both expressing emotions, complex ideas and thoughts.

I agree.

And of course, I do not use "adult language" (what a horrible descriptor for it) in many settings.

But the discussion here is appropriate.

I appreciate you and your comments, Sushi. As for sushi...I love California Rolls...but that barely qualifies as sushi. We have a buffet that has sushi...and I often get salmon or tuna...which most sushi eaters consider barely qualifiers also.

LOVE sushi rice. Make my own...and use it on plain on nori.
  • Frank Apisa
    Shamshir

In a discussion of childbirth... — Frank Apisa

Then let's hold off the word fuck for discussions of intercourse, rather than air out our dirty laundry, using it every which way - what say you?
    Shamshir

See above.
  • creativesoul
    Some people look for reasons to be offended. They will always find them.

Some people do not care about offending others. They will intentionally offend.

Those are the extremes.

I do find that there are certain uses of language that ought be culled.
  • Brett
    I feel these words are almost anti language. They’re a primitive vocalisation and in their use potentially a threat to language.

Edit: a threat to language and understanding.
  • Brett
    all other things being equal, a person unwilling to use certain words has fewer to use than someone willing to use those words. Fewer words = a more limited vocabulary.Frank Apisa

Using these words isn’t extending a vocabulary. Those words being used are just replacing another word. But it’s interesting that you think it’s extending a vocabulary by counting the words used, because when I hear people using these words it sounds like using twice as many words as necessary:

‘ I saw the ******* **** come out of the ******* **** bar, little *** she was, the ***** with her, ***** he’s a big ******, she’s a ******* ****!
  • I like sushi
    If we remove offensive words from language another will replace it quickly enough. Either we stop communicating or just grow up.
  • Brett
    Which I why I said this:

“I don’t think these words exist by accident. “

They’re purposely offensive, or maybe more accurately, contrary or rebellious . That’s what they’re for. Why? I don’t know.
  • BC
    Well, there is the matter of decorum. It isn't that "fuck" or "shit" are "adult words" and coitus and faeces are not. The former words are appropriate for one level of decorum and the latter are appropriate for another level. I would not expect that a doctor would ask me "Are you shitting OK?" I'd expect him to reference faeces and bowel movements. On the other hand, "Shit!" would be the appropriate response to a diagnosis of terminal cancer. Or "fucking shit" would be the appropriate term at a bar to reference something really stupid.

Policing adult language, as well as enforcing "political correct" language falls into he category of "boor control" or "controlling other people" or maintaining a "quality atmosphere". I disapprove of that sort of shit. But... some people can get away with it and some can't.
  • Brett
    I like to be in control of what I’m saying, well I try. I adjust my language to the occasion, the people. They’re only words but you can’t take them back once spoken. People can be hurt, or misunderstand you if you use language they’re not familiar with. Of course you can use the language any way you like, but language is about communication so why not use the most efficient word and one understood by the other person?
  • Frank Apisa
    Brett
    I feel these words are almost anti language. They’re a primitive vocalisation and in their use potentially a threat to language.

Edit: a threat to language and understanding.
    Brett

How so, Brett?

If I exclaim, "Motherfucker!" rather than "Dog gone it!"...how do I threaten language and understanding?

If I say, "Fuckin' outta sight!" rather than "How wonderful!"...how do I threaten language and understanding?

I truly do not understand.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet