• virginia west
    I think the reason why you feel like it doesn't have meaning to believe that our biological "identity" could be a start instead of a state, is because we live in a society of people that are focused on their ego instead of their being human. Being human is thinking being aware of humanity, not just of us and of our offsprings. The attitude of egocentrism has created a system where we feel like we have to have a greater ego than a greater humanity to succeed. We feel like we have to do a lot of things because we have to, but we don't know if we want them and we don't know what we want. There comes a point when you realize that a lot of things we do don't make sense. We do have to accomplish in some way a biological end, survival, but we have o survive being aware of the fact that everything changes, and that we have to adapt in order to continue being human beings and not to turn into something else. I think we should explore ourselves and the way we think and find humanity, an ideal that has the chance to become visible when we realize that what we thought made sense doesn't anymore and we have to look for a "greater" sense.
  • praxis

In a sense, that’s why people are far more likely to donate a kidney, for example, to a niece or nephew than they are to some rando kid.
  • Shamshir
    No, I'm just sneakily hinting that the social is inevitable
    Personally, if you're interested in knowing, I find math biological, inadvertently so.
  • Terrapin Station
    It's impossible to make choices without some rank of values, otherwise why would you prefer one thing to another?yupamiralda

Having preferences is a way that our brains work. You can't avoid it unless you have a very, very different psychology that would be diagnosed as some sort of medical disorder.

It's a fact that all values are subjective. It's important to realize this fact and work with it, not expecting values to be something that they're not.
  • Judaka
    I'd still describe it as nihilism, at least in regard to the value of products of the human mind, which, in the case of something like "do no harm", are the elevation of a bit of evolutionary prudence (that only applies within "us" anyway, as opposed to "them") to some kind of dogma.

Your tone of blame implies that you think your view is superior to mine.
    yupamiralda

I don't understand your comment, nihilism is an indiscriminate view and places all claims of objective meaning into the same category. That you separate the meaningful from the meaningless, caring about value and truth doesn't necessarily make what you're saying invalid or wrong but in your example, where you give your thoughts about "the value of products of the human mind" - this is not a nihilistic claim and most people hold beliefs contrary to others about the meaning and value of things.

I certainly think my view is superior to yours but that's just me playing out my nature as a human being and not necessarily indicative of anything. :grin:
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.