• Jacob-B
    Is my writing about determinism also deterministic?

Of course, my writing these lines is deterministic. I know that it is impossible to make logical dent in the physics of determinism. And yet, , I find the idea that there is a chain of inevitability leading from the Big Bang to what I am doing right now is difficult for me to take in. Does not determinism implies some algorithm inherent in the Big Bang that dictated that the shape of the universe as it is now and will in the future to its minutest detail?

I also wonder about the relation between entropy and determinism. Is it not the case that entropy is what drives deterministic processes? But to my mind, entropy with irs probabilistic aspects seems to contradict the linear nature of determinism. Whilst entropy ‘wims’ at the end by the ever increasing number of microstates, it is temporarily and locally is reversed through self organization and emergence, Could there be a parallel phenomena within determinism; it being suspended under certain circumstances? And finally, as the complexity of the universe increases with time and being driven by entropy, is there a limit to how complexity and could it reach a point where it starts to decrease?

In conclusion, I think that the question of determinism should be considered as wide open..
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.