• christian2017
    Please see "10 dimensions explained" on youtube for details

If i travel in a curved path here on earth what alot of people don't realize is on a lower or even a higher dimension i may be traveling a straight path. A great book to read is "Flatland" by Abbot Abbot. It strongly influenced Albert Einstein.

I don't agree with everything Albert Einstein concluded about special relativity and general relativity (perhaps its the way some modern scientists explain it). These are very important concepts for being a rational thinker in the day and age we live in.

In the Bible the Lord is quoted as saying "I will make your paths straight". Could this deity is referring to high dimensions even though we are not always doing the right thing nor walking a straight path?

Questions and comments please?
  • Couchyam
    I believe it has to do with the capacity to help people live according to their their values, see things for what they are, and avoid falling victim to misconceptions. (Note: it is important to stress that I assume 'straightness' in this context is understood in mathematical terms. It may come as a surprise, but there seem to be some who think 'straightness' means 'heterosexuality'.)
  • I like sushi
    @christian2017

If i travel in a curved path here on earth what alot of people don't realize is on a lower or even a higher dimension i may be traveling a straight path.

I think you mean ‘what many people know and I‘ve just realised is ...”

Welcome to shattering of our own mirror :)

In the Bible the Lord is quoted as saying "I will make your paths straight". Could this deity is referring to high dimensions even though we are not always doing the right thing nor walking a straight path?

You know what I’m going to say so I’ll let you deal it your own inner voice rather than get upset with my words. Good luck and happy hunting!
  • noAxioms
    I don't agree with everything Albert Einstein concluded about special relativity and general relativity (perhaps its the way some modern scientists explain it). These are very important concepts for being a rational thinker in the day and age we live in.christian2017
    Having a hard time parsing this statement. The only way that makes sense is if you're saying that such concepts are important for a rational thinker, but not important to you.

That said, I cannot think of an example of a curved path that is straight in a higher dimension. In a lower dimension, sure. An airplane takes a curved path through 3D space but a straight path on the lower dimension 2D surface of the earth.
  • christian2017

I think you mean ‘what many people know and I‘ve just realised is ...”

Welcome to shattering of our own mirror :)

Why do you say that? Lets say 50% know this and 50% don't know. Its just a phrase i used, just focus on the OP.

You know what I’m going to say so I’ll let you deal it your own inner voice rather than get upset with my words. Good luck and happy hunting!I like sushi

Go ahead and say what you wanted to say :)
  • christian2017

did you watch the video on youtube at the top of the OP?
  • noAxioms
    I don't usually watch youtubes. If there is a concept from it you'd like to convey, post the gist of it.
  • I like sushi
    I focused on the OP. What you say is well known and I don’t see why it is worth commenting on other than to say, “yeah, everyone knows!”

As to the Biblical drivel ... it’s drivel. Pointed straw clutching in order to scientifically/mathematically legitimise ancient scripture as being factual, yet the usual Christian position is to switch to the anti-scientific and illogical in order to present so called “truths”.

What is interesting is we can, and do, ‘read’ meaning into any old text in order to structure our appreciation reality.

There is a long and fruitless history of religiously indoctrinated people pulling lines from various religious scriptures (from all religious inclinations) and attaching so-called prescientific ‘evidence’ (the irony!) of DNA, evolution, supernovae, black holes, quantum mechanics and any other things that springs to mind that they have no serious understanding of (eg. Special and General Relatviity)
  • christian2017

did you watch the youtube mentioned at the top of the OP?
  • noAxioms
    I watched it enough to see that it was the same thing as the sites that come up with the same search.

What they are calling dimensions is not the geometric definitions. They describe Hilbert space, which isn't additional dimensions with length and ordering and such like you get with the first 4. You can't draw a curve through them. The whole OP was about curved lines being straight in a higher dimension, but the 'higher dimensions' are not dimensions at all, so no curves can be defined.

What they call dimensions 5 through 8 are all the same thing, corresponding to Tegmark's level-3 multiverse. Dimension 9 is the level-2, and 10 is level-4. None of these are linear dimension that have a concept of length or orthogonality or ordering of points. They are therefore not dimensions.

Finally, I see an attempt to associate this idea with superstring theory, which actually does have many more dimensions, but which are real dimensions and have nothing to do with what the list-of-10 is all about.

It is hard to deny Einstein since his work is what popularized time being a 4th dimension instead of the alternative flowing 3D model that still stands for the majority that don't give the subject matter any particular thought. If you're pushing this video, it presents time as a dimension, which you cannot do if you reject the spacetime geometry of Einstein's relativity theory.

So I stand behind my initial two assessments of the OP, one of which is that there seems to be no example of a curved line that is straight in a higher dimensional space. The video gave no such example.
  • I like sushi
    Pretty sure it’s nothing more than saying in a 2D world (piece of paper) you can attach the ends of the paper and the flatlander will go around in circles even though to them it feels like a straight line.

Like I said, nothing new. It is certainly an interesting concept when you come across it. Topology is pretty freaky :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment