• Ilya B Shambat
    There is a conflict between many people who call themselves Christians and environmentalists, and there shouldn't be. If you are a true Christian you will be an environmentalist as well. The reason is that God did not create all the beauty around us so that it can be blindly plundered, and blindly plundering nature will not earn you any favors with God.

I had a biology teacher named Fred Atwood. Mr. Atwood was a devout Christian, and he held an unusual stance of social conservatism and environmentalism at the same time. He was celibate, and he kept making jokes about having an alien girlfriend named Molly Jolly Golly. Once in class I asked if Molly Jolly Golly had big tits, and Mr. Atwood kicked me out of the class.

But the issues here are no laughing matter. We are in the midst of the quickest extinction in history. We have heat waves and hurricanes. We have melting glaciers. We have rainforest being burned to make ranches that turn into wasteland in two years. Environmental issues are the greatest challenge of our times.

If you are a Christian, consider it from God's perspective. He has created all this beauty, and it is being destroyed. Would you be happy with this state of affairs if you were God?

There was an ad that said, “Would Jesus drive an SUV?” I walk the walk as much as I talk the talk. I take public transportation, and my electricity bill is $30 a month. And as a Christian I appeal to Christians to consider what they are doing to God's creation. Destroying rich, beautiful environments for short-term gain is permanent solution to a temporary problem. What is destroyed is better than what is created, and the result is an impoverished world.

This is especially the case with ranching in the Amazon. But it is also the case in less obvious situations. We have carbon dioxide that does not get absorbed by trees going into the oceans and making them acidic and killing all the fish. We have glaciers melting and flooding coastal areas. We have tundra melting to release methane into the air. In all these cases we see permanent destruction.

Would God be happy about that? Not from what we know of God. Now God is not against us eating meat or raising cattle, but He would be against ranching in the Amazon and other destructive practices. So if you are a Christian, you have an obligation to also be an environmentalist. That does not mean moving away from technology. It means using technology that is less destructive.

The question to ask before taking any action is, What would this be in the eyes of God? Am I doing what's pleasing to God or am I not doing what's not pleasing to God? In this matter the answer is clear. It does not please God for His creation to be blindly destroyed. It pleases God for people to provide for their needs in a way that is less destructive to nature.
  • tim wood
    He was celibate, and he kept making jokes about having an alien girlfriend named Molly Jolly Golly. Once in class I asked if Molly Jolly Golly had big tits, and Mr. Atwood kicked me out of the class.Ilya B Shambat

Well done! All parties!

Um, small question: did you mean unmarried, unlaid, or both? For some of it at least, one might ask, "How did you know?"
  • Valentinus

There are Christians who would agree with you and those who would not. There is a large contingent preparing for the End of Days. Others are bound more closely to "this world" as the expression of their faith.
  • Izat So
    Is this thread reaction baiting or are you for real? (and if so I despair - note the inclusive V).
  • hachit
    God gave us dominion over there earth and told us to do with it what we wich. So it is a mandate that would need to be proclaimed by the church. (Two exception I know of are the sabith day and the the sabith year)
  • Grre
    Funny that many of the narratives supporting domination of the Earth/instrumentalism of natural resources, relates back to the beginnings of Judeo-Christian tradition. Not too mention the Christian ranking of human as superior to animals, plants, and so on. Christianity also completely denies evolutionary theory, and the reality that there we are all accidental events...Convenient how religious zealots always argue that everything is compatible with Christian thought and values-bit of a doublethink isn't it?
  • Possibility

From Laudato Si’ (2015):
    We see increasing sensitivity to the environment and the need to protect nature, along with a growing concern, both genuine and distressing, for what is happening to our planet. Let us review, however cursorily, those questions which are troubling us today and which we can no longer sweep under the carpet. Our goal is not to amass information or to satisfy curiosity, but rather to become painfully aware, to dare to turn what is happening to the world into our own personal suffering and thus to discover what each of us can do about it.Pope Francis
  • Ilya B Shambat
    Amazing, this is the best pope in history.
  • TheMadFool

Dominion Mandate

It appears that you're wrong. The Christian God commanded man to dominate the world, subdue its creatures to serve man's purpose.

Of course the link I posted calls for careful use of resources but that's probably a much later addition, after science did its job of showing us that we're dependants rather than masters.

I think Buddhism, with the value it places on ALL life, is a better choice if you want to align religion with environmentalism.
  • hachit
    I'm not catholic, but yes there is a mandate for mine to.
  • ssu
    . If you are a true Christian you will be an environmentalist as well. The reason is that God did not create all the beauty around us so that it can be blindly plundered, and blindly plundering nature will not earn you any favors with God.Ilya B Shambat

First, let's read what actually the Bible says about this:

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.

So Ilya, what do you think subduing means? What do you think having dominion over actually everything means, especially when you have been "created in Gods own image"?

If someone subdues you and has dominion over you, I think that isn't what you are above advocating. Modern day environmentalism, which basically starts from the idea that everything wrong today is because of our human actions has little to do with the Bible or traditional Christianity. As said by others, that doesn't mean that many Christians believers wouldn't agree with your ideas.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.