• Michelle71
    Feel free to move this if I chose the wrong category to put this in.

I woke up this morning with a weird thought banging around in my head. Its a "what if" and I'd like to know your general thoughts on it.

"Geordie Rose, Founder of D-Wave (recent clients are Google and NASA) believes that the power of quantum computing is that we can `exploit parallel universes’..."

We are the result of our genetics and biology. Some have an easier time of life than others. Some people have a biology that gear them for optimism while others are born nihilists. Some are born into unimaginable hell and die too young to be cognizant of anything but pain. People have the belief systems they were born into, for the most part, cultural or otherwise. It is very unlikely that one strays too far from where they started, especially before the time of the internet.

From the Christian perspective:
    According to super-string theory, there are at least 10 dimensions in the universe and other theories suggest there could be up to 26 dimensions. What if we are all living out our lives in multiple dimensions, all at once, linked somehow through a cosmic id. What if the cumulative results of all our choices from multiple universes is the determinate of what gets us into heaven or hell? Free will is assumed to true ...
  • Terrapin Station
    "Geordie Rose, Founder of D-Wave (recent clients are Google and NASA) believes that the power of quantum computing is that we can `exploit parallel universes’..."Michelle71

No such thing as "parallel universes" except for SciFi (which too many scientists unfortunately like to engage in as if it's science). So that's not going to work.
  • Devans99
    How do I control another me in an alternative universe? Is it somehow that my decisions have an impact on the other me's behaviour? If it is not the case, then it is unfair to be sent to hell for the actions of an agent I cannot control.

Some are born into unimaginable hell and die too young to be cognizant of anything but painMichelle71

This is the problem of the world - it is not perfect and horrid stuff happens. But things get better with time. I think we are unfortunate to be born in such a barbaric time of the universe - it tends towards perfection.

No such thing as "parallel universes" except for SciFTerrapin Station

Proof please...
  • Terrapin Station
    Proof please...Devans99

You've got to be joking.
  • Devans99
    You've got to be joking.Terrapin Station

If we judge what is possible just based on our experience of this universe then we miss a huge realm of possibility. How do we know that other states of existence beyond space, time, matter are not possible?

Already something pretty freaky has happened: there is something rather than nothing. So I like to keep an open mind on these things... hence asking you to proof parallel universes are not possible.
  • Terrapin Station
    If we judge what is possibleDevans99

First, this is such a basic thing to get wrong.

If we say, "There is no such thing as x," are we saying, "X is impossible"?
  • Devans99
    I not sure I understand what you mean. I think 'there is no such thing as x' just applies to our observational range; our universe. So it counts as inductive evidence. But that inductive evidence has been gathered in a narrow spacetime interval so I would be hesitant to bet my house on 'there are no parallel universes'.
  • Shamshir
    Some people have a biology that gear them for optimism while others are born nihilists.Michelle71
    I don't think it's the biology that determines that.
    You could acquire a sum of great biological features and yet your psyche may be incapable to profit from them; whereas a great psyche would find a good use for poor quality biological features.
    Examples are blind photographers and deaf composers.

What if we are all living out our lives in multiple dimensions, all at once, linked somehow through a cosmic id. What if the cumulative results of all our choices from multiple universes is the determinate of what gets us into heaven or hell?Michelle71
    If we go with the aforementioned division of biological self (body) and cognitive self (psyche), we are indeed living in multiple dimensions, all at once.
    A brain without a mind is like hardware without software; just a heap of parts.
    Equally, a mind without an object to represent it is like air; like wind.

If you had to point out the mind anywhere in the physical world, where would it be?
  • Terrapin Station
    I not sure I understand what you mean.Devans99

There's a difference between "it's not possible for there to be any x" and "there happen to be no x (but it's not impossible)"
  • Devans99
    It's the first I'm questioning - the possibility space is boundless. I'd say the second applies - we have no evidence for parallel universes but it is not impossible.
  • Terrapin Station

So the point I was making immediately above is that you read my initial comment to be about possibility rather than what's contingently the case.
  • Devans99
    Sorry you will have to expand on that last point.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.