• Shawn
    It seems like we don't understand ourselves no matter what happens. Perhaps the Semitic people in concentration camps (a very dire situation) knew what they wanted. Yet, we live in a liberal paradise nowadays. Many things confuse us (or not, or at least a wallower like me). I wallow excessively, but don't understand why I wallow so much. Perhaps, wallowing is healthy for the soul and I do it to excess.

No but seriously, the field of psychology is in my opinion a mess. The only good that has come out of it is logotherapy and positive psychology. Yet, Freud is still an inspiration for some. I don't get that gist if you ask me. And herein is the problem. People go to psychologists and the only good they offer is life advice. They call psychologists paid friends. Now going off the deep end psychiatrists are scary people or drug pushers. They only offer medicine that nobody likes taking.

Hence, the point I'm trying to make is that people don't entirely know what they want. Husbands cheat on wives, the divorce rate is too scary for me to engage in a healthy relationship. Sex seems to be the only thing that other people want. Isn't that scary? To not know a person you are interacting with and their motivations?

It seems people want things from other people, like sex. Is that what life is really about? Getting laid and having fun? If you were to ask me, I view people as hedonists becuase that is gratifying.

Any thoughts?
  • I like sushi
    When it comes to seeking psychological help it would make a great deal of sense to do some personality tests to see roughly what kind of person you are. From there it makes finding a suitable practitioner easier.

Some people would like to see themselves as psychologically creating/developing their own personal mythos, whilst others would find such an idea silly or whimsical preferring to view this in a more concrete fashion as a set if rules to follow and guide them in day-to-day life.

Certain personality traits would give some idea as to what may or may not suit a persons disposition. Often people just don’t develop a proper dream/goal. Simply setting out to find a dream/goal would be a start, but to think it will be easy and too fall hard is due to neuroticism.

Simply put if someone wants to be “better” then they can be if, and only if, they know what that means. To search for it is to understand “better”. To reach every goal is a failure of one’s personal life - ironic, but scarily true! It’s better to aim too high than too low imo. If everything comes easy to you then you’re living within scared limits playing at being omnipotent.

Note: Not exactly sure what kind of response you were looking for. I did my best, but I can do better ;)
  • Shawn

I like sushi too. :yum:
  • Shawn
    A followup on what I like Sushi said. People tend to have dangerous ideas that go beyond the norm. Take for example Hitler and his "personal struggle". Dangerous people abound. Not to sound paranoid; but, these intentions are hidden from plain sight giving them some subjective value.
  • I like sushi
    I don’t really understand the purpose of this thread it seems. I was trying to highlight that psychology isn’t all that bad, but I don’t believe there are stringent enough measures taken in matching the patient to the practitioner - likely due to the ambiguity of diagnosis and/or lack of diversity within the community of practitioners (funding issues too obviously).
  • Shawn
    but I don’t believe there are stringent enough measures taken in matching the patient to the practitionerI like sushi

Well, there you said it yourself. Psychology is still in its infancy, and Freud ain't no authority on the matter of human nature.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment