• curiousnewbie
    When I mentioned yahoo answers, I meant that in terms of the quality of the post. Yahoo answers in the early days was a site where people could ask engaging questions, and it later turned into a site where people would ask 'why do all X voters have bad breath/are ugly etc?'.
  • whollyrolling

Classical philosophy is not much more refined than Yahoo Answers.
  • Anthony
    If you think that we are subject to evolution, that our capacity for abstract thought, for words and actions other than those ruled by instinct serves no purpose except to follow instinct, then I can only conclude that you have shackled your own intelligence to a limited physical existence.Possibility
    In what way, do you propose, instinct isn't indomitable? Instinct does rule, save for perhaps Buddhas, or otherwise individuals who know how to balance Dionysus with Apollo; actually, modernity, with its increasingly rigid human order lain over the only one, is pissing instinct off quite significantly. No matter if it be secular rationalism or residue of mythological systems (religion), humans construct aggregations of beliefs to help them deny death or inevitability they don't like The most advanced humans don't say death is a disease and look to promissory materialism for an answer, or think we will move to Mars (no doubt it could be a planet of war in the future if humans move there), they figure out how to make a wreath around themselves with it and contemplate death often. Convenience and comfort also stand in the way of alignment with evolution and instinct.

Look at Down syndrome. Is it a flaw of evolution? Should it be gene edited out of existence, if possible? Wouldn't this be admitting we don't like Down syndrome on some level, that humans have become obsessed with efficiency and competence over all else. Why is it for humans to decide? For those who think times are patently getting better, there's a serious ethical dilemma in these sorts of issues. Science can be elegantly savage, which is a message for all people positing it has only helped. In exclusively admitting physical evidence/data and cognitive behaviorism (calling to mind the most ridiculous images like calculable emotion, 3+2=envy), the domain of virtue or morality (belonging to idealism, or proper philosophy/reason), isn't true for scientists. There's no way of proving people with DS aren't aliens or deities behaving the way they do for some bizarre fathomless reason, same with animals. An uncanny image, yet it is so.

Same with evolution. Humans are totally subject to evolution along with all else on Earth. Eventually humanists and their technics will regret tampering with the laws of nature, of this I have little doubt. It is a question to philosophy why this species thinks it is exempt from what other species are exposed to, as though men are gods.

It's hard divining how poisoned we are still from leaded gasoline, or to know if 5G technology will worsen glioblastomas. Pollution and war, or their absence, are indexes of human ability to to either accommodate nature/instinct or ignore it (someone will think war is instinct, though actually human nature is metacognition, it being what we have other animals don't; hesitation is also human nature/instinct). There are parallels of man's destructive repetitions in his emotion, which are a long way to being addressed...avarice, envy, anger, hate, frigidity...ok, here goes since I've always seen the truth in this...gluttony, sloth, pride, and lust (if not emotion, then delusion...delusion tends to be an blanket term, though). Acute neuroses are caused by cognitive behaviorism/materialism, being derived from scientist's irrational perversion over ignoring anything without evidence (honesty needs to take a good hard look at how big of a problem this is, actually; a thread might be forthcoming). Instinct doesn't like it there are those who think the primary process resembles AI or calculation in any way. To the extent h. sapiens live in a virtual reality, they don't live in the truth.
  • hachit
    I see no chapter or verse.
    I don't need one, it came out of the dictionary.

The rest of what you put ignored Job 2;3 and god admitting to be an evil sinner. Why?

Because I have no clue what your talking about. What version did you read.
    1. God was praising Job
    2. "shuns evil."
    3. Apparently in the verse satin was telling God to "incited me against him to ruin him without any reason.". Then God refuse (and yes I know he let's satin. Yes I see how you can make an argument around that).
  • whollyrolling

The moment you exempted "Buddhas" from instinct, whatever that means, you made the rest of your monologue just a bunch of blah blah garbage most people would presume is written from a place of incompetence.
  • Anthony
    I see. Not biting, mate. Though somehow, I don't know that my post is as empty of content as your response to it. If it's garbage, can you elaborate on that, or...

Nevermind. After looking at your other comments, it's clear you're a sadist. Good luck.
  • Maureen
    There are atheists and theists who admit that they do not know if God exists, as well as those who say that God absolutely does or does not exist, no questions asked. I believe that the latter is entirely stubborn and stupid due to the fact that they are not even willing to consider the possibility that God may or may not exist, as opposed to holding fast to one end of the spectrum when they don't even actually know the truth.
  • Tom Palmer
    I believe in an imaginary construct because I am enough of a pessimist to believe there is a God that would send us to hell for thought crimes. It's not a rational belief, but it makes perfect sense to believe that the God who gives us bone cancer would send us to hell.
  • Gnostic Christian Bishop
    Then God refusehachit

If god would have refused, then he would not have admitted to being move to do harm without a just cause.
    Your twisting the words just shows your lack of reading comprehension.

Regards
    DL
    when they don't even actually know the truth.Maureen

It is better for theists to admit they do not know if god exists instead of lying about it.

Regards
    DL
  • christian2017

Some christians believe that god greatly rewards those who are innocent and suffer for their innocence. Jesus for example is the king of the universe and is worshiped by many according to christians. Not all christians believe that heaven is equal for all christians. Jesus said that there are many mansions in his "house" and some interpret that to mean that some people are more rewarded than others for their conduct here on this earth. I know many people who do to what they believe was God's discipline (US marines are disciplined) have great character.
  • Tom Palmer
    That's a comforting thought, but I think God got carried away dishing out the suffering.
  • christian2017

"That's a comforting thought, but I think God got carried away dishing out the suffering. "

i wish i could say your wrong but at this point in my life i don't have alot of evidence to try to show you otherwise.
    Some christians believechristian2017

Christian beliefs are all over the map and some are even as foolish as believing in the supernatural.

Regards
    DL
    That's a comforting thought, but I think God got carried away dishing out the suffering.Tom Palmer

Indeed, to the point of genocide and infanticide of his own son.

Regards
    DL
    i wish i could say your wrong but at this point in my life i don't have alot of evidence to try to show you otherwise.christian2017

That and you would have to scrap most of the bible to show the opposite.

What do you find endearing in a god who is infanticide and uses genocide?
    What compels you to ignore those traits or see them as somehow good?

Regards
    DL
  • christian2017

This is what i said earlier and yes there are alot of Christian denominations and they are in many cases all over the map.

"Some christians believe that god greatly rewards those who are innocent and suffer for their innocence. Jesus for example is the king of the universe and is worshiped by many according to christians. Not all christians believe that heaven is equal for all christians. Jesus said that there are many mansions in his "house" and some interpret that to mean that some people are more rewarded than others for their conduct here on this earth. I know many people who do to what they believe was God's discipline (US marines are disciplined) have great character. "

I believe alot of Christians fall into my category. I could be wrong. As to the genocide, i believe a baby born into a wicked family (Amorites sacrificed there own children to their gods) is better off dying and going to heaven then being raised to be wicked himself. As you can tell its been millienia since the Christian God has advocated genocide. I felt that should be added to this conversation. Abortion is a bad thing in my opinion but there are worse things than dying early and going to heaven.

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't Gnostic's believe in the supernatural?
  • S
    I'm still waiting for the OP to define "Gnostic Christianity" for me.whollyrolling

Sounds like it's Christianity as interpreted by an atheist with attachment issues.
    Correct me if i'm wrong but don't Gnostic's believe in the supernatural?christian2017

No. We hold no supernatural beliefs and that may be why we venerate life while you venerate a god who takes it.

Strange that you seem to prefer a god who kills instead of a god who cures instead of killing. You might wonder why while you forgive him for using genocide instead of curing the afflicted the way Jesus said he came to do.

That god of yours sure flip flops in his morality. It is almost like two different gods instead of the trinity idiocy eh?

Regards
    DL
    I'm still waiting for the OP to define "Gnostic Christianity" for me.whollyrolling

It is a religion of esoteric ecumenists who do not hold any supernatural beliefs and who seek a god, as defined as the best rules and laws to live by.

We, like Buddhists and Karaite Jews put god below man, as he should be, given that all the gods are human inventions.

Regards
    DL
  • whollyrolling

So what you're effectively saying is that it isn't Christianity and fits nowhere within or alongside Christianity. So then I'm left wondering why you'd label yourself with a blatant contradiction of terms other than to troll people or to self-deprecate.
    So what you're effectively saying is that it isn't Christianity and fits nowhere within or alongside Christianity.whollyrolling

That should be obvious given that we have always branded Yahweh as a vile demiurge.

So then I'm left wondering why you'd label yourself with a blatant contradiction of terms other than to troll people or to self-deprecate.whollyrolling

Tradition, for one, and it opens the door for me to remind the uninformed, like you, that Christianity is a made up religion that began from Chrestianity that was a lot more intelligent than what Christianity became.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rAt-PAkgqls

Regards
    DL
  • whollyrolling

If I was uninformed then you wouldn't be "reminding" me, you'd be "informing" me. I guess this is what you do, you go look on the internet for obscure religious cults very few people know or care about, create a contradiction-of-terms-troll-nickname and "remind" us all of the existence one of likely six thousand forgotten renditions of a forgotten pagan sun god religion, which were all of course based on forgotten religions that predate them. Interesting.
  • whollyrolling
    Then you cut and paste 3-7 word portions of a sentence and place them out of context as a stand-alone phrase in order to inject your irrelevant and unrelated comments into the thread.
    Thanks for the useless replies.

Regards
    DL
  • S
    If I was uninformed then you wouldn't be "reminding" me, you'd be "informing" me. I guess this is what you do, you go look on the internet for obscure religious cults very few people know or care about, create a contradiction-of-terms-troll-nickname and "remind" us all of the existence one of likely six thousand forgotten renditions of a forgotten pagan sun god religion, which were all of course based on forgotten religions that predate them. Interesting.whollyrolling

Bullseye! :grin:
  • christian2017

i feel i explained my take on this in a previous post. Perhaps we can argue about the same thing some other day.
    i feel i explained my take on this in a previous post. Perhaps we can argue about the same thing some other day.christian2017

Poorly, but as you wish.

Regards
    DL
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.