• Shawn
    So, this post is only a first-person account and is not representative of other stoics out there.

With that said, now I proceed with lame psychoanalysis of myself by myself for others to comment on or criticize.

Having grown up without a strong father figure, I resorted in my teens to reading Marcus Aurelius Meditations. The book was actually a gift from my own father, possibly representing his own awareness of future shortcomings as a father towards his son.

I began reading and trying to practice negative visualization every day. I have always had low self-esteem and have felt like many things in the world are too difficult, or due to laziness, hard to obtain. My confidence in my own abilities has always been low. I failed in many tasks and have "wallowed" my whole life.

Therefore because of this, I resorted to reading the Enchiridion by Epictetus in combination with the Meditations. My fixation with Stoicism as a philosophy of life has been mired with a feeling of Schopenhauerian pessimism and defeat. Schopenhauer then became my guiding philosophy in life, as not how I ought to live, but how life actually is. This all created a distorted vision of life, which has been mostly composed of overgeneralizations, hyperbole, and ultimately depression.

Due to new circumstances, I moved back to the States with a feeling of a fresh start. Yet, the Stoic practice of negative visualizations and Schopenhauerian pessimism (which is very comforting and "stuck" with me) got into my way of viewing reality. I was stuck within myself and didn't know any solution to the situation. I had failed an attempt at the USAF due to my issues with lack of confidence and low self-esteem. I had also been diagnosed with schizophrenia before I came to the states. I lived in denial for a good period, as the diagnosis created the impression in my life that I was disabled or fundamentally flawed.

With the backstory finished, I feel as though I can never be a good Stoic, and have resorted to supplements, drugs, and self-therapy to "fix" myself. Ultimately, I ended up on disability and we're now in the present.

My stoic philosophy due to the above has morphed into a hybrid of Cynicism (because I am a dysfunctional member of society living on disability) and Stoicism (which has always been a crutch I created to lean on).

Going deeper, I do not like emotions, anything that evokes them is avoided by myself. Stoicism may have played a role in this sentiment. I strive to be rational and in control at all times, and view emotions as unhealthy and not conducive towards this goal. I have been through therapy, learned Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and have accepted my diagnosis.

Now, psychologically, there is no reason for me to be a Stoic. I have failed at most of what I wanted to achieve and live together with my mother. I do not foresee these circumstances changing anytime soon and have grown to be a content and satisfied pig if you will. My nickname "Wallows" reflects this state.

Now to summarize:

I wanted to become a Stoic but have given up on trying to be one.
    I want to be left alone and live out my years with my mother while on disability.
    I post on these forums as a way of expressing myself.
    I do not like my emotions and avoid situations that would excite them, Stoicism meshes into this strange world-view.
    I have tried many medications, am on medication, and not many helped.
    I have sought therapy; but, do not want to change myself, and am satisfied as a pig just the way I am.
    My low-self esteem and abysmal confidence manifest in these frantic and hyperbolic posts about myself. Note, please, that I do not derive pleasure of you reading about me, I am only looking to understand myself and my motivations better.

Now, looking towards the future with all that said. I have started looking inward, and have modified myself to start limiting my wants and only address needs. Buddhist philosophy appeals to me now, due to being somewhat inferior and dysfunctional. Buddhism is life-affirming and if I can master the art of compassion, I feel as though I might be able to come out of my self-made cocoon. I have also resorted to Viktor Frankl's logotherapy, to find meaning in the cards that have been dealt with me. I find meaning and satisfaction in helping my mother. We have nobody else to resort to for help, and I try and become moral support for her. Given my age, the status of mental health, depression, and anxiety, along with my diagnosis, I do not see our circumstances changing. I will continue to live, desire my pessimism and low-self esteem with my mother, and we will be happy together.

That is my tale I have been wanting to form into some coherent whole, and for you, the reader, to criticise or agree or disagree with.

Sorry for the long post about "me"; but, had I been less neurotic or angsty, it would have never have arisen.

Thank you for your time and patience.
  • S
    Detachment. That's what I say. It's liberating.
  • S
    How?Wallows

You don't "how?", you just do.
  • Shawn

Does wallowing count?
  • S
    Does wallowing count?Wallows

No. Wallowing is indulgence. Indulgence is contrary to detachment.
  • S
    How?
    — Wallows

You don't "how?", you just do.
    S

Well, you could try this: dim room, lit scented candle, comfortable headphones, volume quite high, maybe close your eyes. Relax. And let go.

I often play this on repeat.

But even if this works, it's important to learn how to apply it in other contexts. That is something you can teach yourself, as I have done with some effectiveness.
  • Judaka

Philosophy without changing how you interpret things and in this case particularly yourself is superficial and meaningless. Your OP is filled with self-deprecation and destructive interpretations of mostly yourself. Philosophers tend to try to over rationalise things, most of your thinking is probably the result of a genetic proclivity for depression and anxiety rather than any influence from any philosophy. The interpretations must be changed, anything else is like the disposing of the weed but not the roots.

Your goal should be to develop a strong ego, I suggest rather than trying to be positive about things, interpret your negativity positively, give yourself a story of your value. Such as having a realistic view of the world or how you're not blind to unpleasant truths and perhaps, condescend a little towards those who you perceive as not having such a realistic view. You must do something similar for many aspects of your life. Regardless of what you do or don't do, real change includes interpretative change. You cannot be a real stoic or Buddhist while maintaining your current perspective which can only be changed at an interpretative level.
  • Shawn
    Your goal should be to develop a strong ego, I suggest rather than trying to be positive about things, interpret your negativity positively, give yourself a story of your value.Judaka

Well, a disabled person has little of vale to offer in some utilitarian sense. I also thought about developing a strong ego but that's like inflating a punctured balloon.

That's for the rest of the advice though.
  • Shawn
    Ahh, @S, has done it again. I suppose the only place for such a pathetic OP is the lounge.
  • S
    Ahh, S, has done it again. I suppose the only place for such a pathetic OP is the lounge.Wallows

I didn't do anything except offer you valuable insights.
  • Shawn

Just joking with you. Forum sociopath.
  • S
    Just joking with you. Forum sociopath.Wallows

Maybe there should be something along the lines of a psychology, therapy, or guidance and advice section. One thing's for sure, this is hardly blether about kittens. Far from it. There's some serious philosophical merit and depth to some of what you bring up. It's essentially asking how you should live.

Don't worry, the staff certainly aren't always the best judge of philosophical content.
  • Shawn

I already requested a psychology sub-forum to be directed towards the Humanities and Social Sciences one. I would like to see guidance and advice one implemented if possible.
  • Shawn
    Don't worry, the staff certainly aren't always the best judge of philosophical content.S

Phanks broseph. Can we like exchange numbers and laugh at each other's misery in life or sumthin?
  • 0 thru 9
    One would think that the writings of the Stoics, both East and West, are still extremely relevant. Although times have changed so much since then with so many diverse influences, that one can only practice some kind of eclectic neo-stoicism. Anyway, the heart of the teachings seem to be equanimity, balance, peace, and compassion. To the raging storms of perceptions, desires, and feelings Stoicism (as I imagine it) says “as immense as this appears, it too will pass. Take and appreciate it for what it is, no more and no less.” To the distant things and people that seem removed from one’s own existence, Stoicism says “you are that, for there is nothing that is completely separate.”

“Blessings to everything and everyone, all the time”. This motto or mantra expresses a deep equanimity. It is a doorway to peace. Feelings are natural and normal, but like almost anything else, can sometimes go astray. Feeling follows thinking, albeit slowly sometimes. However, this is not mere self-brain washing, like thinking “everything is great!”. This approach would help equally on the day one wins the lottery, or the moment one learns they have inoperable cancer. Like the line from the movie V For Vendetta... “you are now beyond fear. You are now completely free”.

(A clarification of the meaning of the word “blessing” in this context... it is a high vibrational energy, or loving wisdom and graceful compassion. It is definitely NOT confined to the usual personal meaning of blessing, ie approval, favor, good fortune, or agreement.)
  • S
    it is a high vibrational energy0 thru 9

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. High vibrational energy to everything and everyone, all the time! :victory:
  • 0 thru 9

... and surf the cosmic waves in the ocean of time... until one reaches the shores of eternity. Where of course everyone is happy and tan. And the drinks don’t give you a hangover. :yum:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment