• DiegoT
    Psychology is a science with a longer history and greater scientific corpus than many established sciences. And still, there are many opinions and totally different ideas about the basic notions of the field; matters get a lot worse when you go down to the actual practitioners: people seek a good therapist like Indian philosophers try to find a decent guru, never really sure what they will find at the other side of the door. This does not make sense to me. As a teacher, I´m used to borrow from different approaches and I know about pedagogical shifts (not often really justified). However, all teachers know what learning is about, what competences are paramount for human development, how to help the pupils strengthen their memory...And we all share a common background about how a language is learnt, or how to promote discipline. There are "alternative schools", (that are sometimes alternative to education) but most teachers are dealing with realities urgent enough and challenging enough to erase all the bullshit they put in our minds at college about how teaching should be, according to authors who never taught.
    However, this does not happen so much with psychology and psychologists. It´s like opinion and ideology do not ever run into any real filter or reality check. Do psychologists in the forum ever feel the same way? or is it just my personal experience?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.