• Shawn

I just love my mom because she cares about me. I'm also advocating Carol Gilligan's and Nel Noddings ethics of care.
  • BC
    I just love my mom because she cares about me. I'm also advocating Carol Gilligan's and Nel Noddings ethics of care.Wallows

Many people love their mothers, and many mothers are very caring. The same can be said for fathers. But for purposes of philosophical discussion, it would be better to weigh differences between men and women without frequent recourse (or maybe any recourse) to the virtues or lack thereof one's mother or father.

One's own parent is too small a sample, even if as a sample they loom larger than the moon in the sky. My parents have been dead for quite some time, but I loved them both, and both of them were very loving in different but equally caring ways. But that's 2 people out of 7 billion.
  • BC
    Take this song by Eddie Fisher from the mid-1950s. It was a big hit at the time. If Fisher was participating in this blog (he isn't cuz he's dead) would you find his testimony about his father helpful or kind of annoying?

• Shawn

Oh dear. I haven't looked up to my father since I was 16.
  • I like sushi
    You asked me politely to not talk to you. I’m asking you politely not to write utter gibberish like this and expect no critique. This is not the same as saying men and women are different and, to some degree, better suited to this or that roel in society:

”It's just another hasty generalisation, influenced by a harmful stereotype which you're choosing to spread.
    — S”

But, women do better in schools, are nicer people, aren't backstabbers, don't go to prison nearly as much as males.

So, aren't they better than us males in some regards?
    — Wallows

The above shows a level of trolling/stupidity/naivety/ignorance that is frankly SO extreme it’s fascinating to observe. Forget what I said about going on twitter instead. I think seeking therapy would be a better option and once you’ve done that maybe it’d be useful to take more of a back seat and think about what you post before you post it as you’re doing yourself no favours - perhaps give yourself 24hrs to reread your posts before making them public?
  • TheMadFool
    I'd like some Western and Eastern perspective on this. There probably is some difference between the two hemispheres and before I forget what about Africa?

Edit: I completely misread your OP. Sorry.

Are women better than men?

Yes, in some ways and no, in others.

You'd probably get the same answer if you had asked about men.

To gve you some context. It's the same question and the answer which was in favor of men that got feminism going right? We're in search of equilibrium, balance, equality I believe and not trying to swing the scales of social justice the other way.

What do you think?
  • unenlightened
    Aren't women just basically better suited for some roles than men are or are I getting this all mixed up?Wallows

They're much better at gestation.

Also tall people are better at basketball.

But why are such variations of interest to you? If you imagine that morality is to be judged by what folks have between their legs, you are a bit off-course.

Speaking of mothers, my mother was linguistically and mathematically extremely smart, but was obliged on marriage to give up her work. That was the rule at the time, because people assumed that women are just basically better suited for some roles than men - meaning childcare and domestic servant. My mother might or might not have been the exception, but wasn't given the choice.

People are getting annoyed with you because the things you are saying were used within living memory, and are still used more or less covertly to coerce people into conforming to what is at best an averaged generalised image. Women are not all the same, and some are more 'mannish' than some men. I am a man, and I am shit hot at childcare, apart from the lactating thing. So please stop imposing your 'just basic averages' onto a wonderfully various and individual world.
  • Shawn
    People are getting annoyed with you because the things you are saying were used within living memory, and are still used more or less covertly to coerce people into conforming to what is at best an averaged generalised image. Women are not all the same, and some are more 'mannish' than some men. I am a man, and I am shit hot at childcare, apart from the lactating thing. So please stop imposing your 'just basic averages' onto a wonderfully various and individual world.unenlightened

Full disclosure, I took on the role of the dunce (yes it was intentional) to expose what I thought was something important. I haven't seen a female reply to my posts, due to perhaps not wanting to agree with me; but, some male posters sure got their jammies up over it. My work is done and I will respect the extreme plasticity of assumed gender roles which aren't mutually exclusive.

Anyone is free to call me ignorant or need therapy (what a joke), and the like. But, I will stop playing the forum dunce for now.
  • I like sushi
    It’s not the topic people are bothered by. It’s the mindless stupidity of the remarks. What you’ve said is almost equivalent to saying tigers are better than lions because they’ve got stripes and don’t live in Africa (what you wrote is only slightly less idiotic than that).

Why come onto a philosopy forum playing someone with Borat level intelligence? What was the purpose? How is it different from trolling?

I wasn’t joking. The comment I quoted is monumentally ignorant and possible due to some kind of psychological disfunction (or plain stupidity). I believe there are some qualified therapists on this forum so ask them. I’m not annoyed by what you’ve written but I’m not in the habit of sitting idle and pretending it’s acceptable to write things, like what I quoted, and expect people to take it seriously.
  • Shawn

I politely asked you not to comment on my psychologically ill and apparent dementia or developing Alzheimer's. So, I won't comment in return to your post.
  • I like sushi
    You’ve told me nothing about your health and if you are suffering from something don’t expect people to know. It’s a free forum. If you’ve got health issues and expect special treatment without divulging them that’s not my problem.

I would say AGAIN that is probably not a fitting environment if you have such problems - seek professional advice.
  • Shawn

No thanks. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Shawn
    I request that this topic is sectioned off. It's run its course and there's not much more to contribute here.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.