• BohdanZ
    Trying to doubt my doubts, to conquer them. Wrote this, to see their nature. Plot is fictional, grammar is wrong a bit.

Age of Doubt, or Faked Love: Short Story about Modern Life
    I loved her, I really did. But then, you know, you could find many possible explanations, that happened: there was no more love in me to her. Why do I stay? Because I remember how I loved you; because that was pleasant. Maybe it will return? So I can state: I love to love her. That is why I am still here.
    Later, I found, that I do not love to love anymore. Too hard, time-consuming, I kind of got depressed. But wait a minute... I can love to love to love her.
    After decades, I see that this chain has hundreds of "loves" in it. But i should be true, everything is correct mathematically... right? Because why I am so sad inside?
    Maybe, there was a mistake in calculations? Maybe, love is not binary thing? I mean not like this: 1 - I love, 0 - I do not. What about 0.5, 0.35, 0.78? Yeah, this theory makes sense, it sounds more realistic, more detailed. 0 is total absence of love, 0.5 means that my ego and you have the same probabilities to get control over my mind in situation of choice, 1 is pure love.
    I've never had zero, proof is that I am here. Did I always have ones? Huge doubt. Did I ever have pure love? I doubt it.
    So, we have series of fractions and (possibly) ones. One multiplied by one is one. One multiplied by fraction is this fraction. Fraction A multiplied by fraction B is fraction less than each of A and B. Even if A equals B...
    Love line reduces, not accidentally.
    Now, I see why my current love is almost zero. But it is not exactly zero, maybe never be. Should I bet on it? Do calculations matter? I am mathematician, but is my "love" to math and digits more important than 0,0001 of Love to her? Different loves. Does my suffering matter? Or maybe, I am just afraid of unknown?
    And what about she?
    She never loved me. And she is not mathematician. It was just a smart contract between us. But why she continues this? Fear? Are we afraid to hurt feelings? Of whom? Don't we do it already, but cannot face it because of weakness?
    I hate doubts, but I have them.
    And when I finished this meditation, I've seen that my love is 0. Zero that destroyed series of numbers, which defined my life. Destroyed my life?
    And, if I even had love before, it wasn't fruitful at all, and is dead now. So, is that adequate to definition of love? So, did I have love at all? Do I have past? Did I live at all?
    I left her. Bravery or foolishness? I see it as first thing.
    Will I get new life ever, real one?
    You know, math experience shows that I can find path to truth. And then I will not be in need of such overthinking. But will I find real love?
    For now, I have no answer, just secret hope.
    I believe, I'll be there.

Or no? Gosh, again.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.