• James Statter

What you said makes sense to me.
  • Frank Apisa
    Take talking serpents and donkeys and a water walking Jesus.

If your faith tells you they are all real, and logic and reason does not tell you that your belief is completely wrong, then you are allowing your faith in the supernatural to guide you instead of logic and reason.

If you are doing that then I do not mind parting company with you are you have allowed your mind to go into intellectual and moral dissonance.

If you are that then I will give you cab fare to leave ASAP. You, as this link indicates, are a disgrace to the human race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxZ6MrBl9E&feature=related
    Gnostic Christian Bishop

I am NOT a theist.

IF you were saying what you wrote...you are essentially saying that theists are "wrong." That means you are saying "there are no gods."

If you are saying that...we are not in agreement. I do not know if there are any gods or not...and neither do you.

In the meantime, I thought I was speaking with an adult. Apparently I was incorrect. I apologize for the mistake.
  • Gnostic Christian Bishop
    If you are saying that...we are not in agreement. I do not know if there are any gods or not...and neither do you.Frank Apisa

I am going by the evidence. Try it.

In the meantime, I thought I was speaking with an adult. Apparently I was incorrect. I apologize for the mistake.Frank Apisa

Accepted, you pathetic piece of garbage.

Regards
    DL
  • S
    Don't mind him. He wants to draw a false equivalence and pretend that it's 50/50. If he bothers you, you should call him an atheist or challenge his alleged credentials. That really triggers him.
  • S
    I am NOT a theist.Frank Apisa

That's right. He's NOT a theist. He's a WEAK ATHEIST.
  • Frank Apisa
    Gnostic Christian Bishop

If you are saying that...we are not in agreement. I do not know if there are any gods or not...and neither do you. — Frank Apisa

I am going by the evidence. Try it.

In the meantime, I thought I was speaking with an adult. Apparently I was incorrect. I apologize for the mistake. — Frank Apisa

Accepted, you pathetic piece of garbage.
    Gnostic Christian Bishop

"The evidence!"

What a laugh.

Identify two pieces of unambiguous evidence pointing one way or the other on the issue.

When you find you cannot...

...identify one!
  • Gnostic Christian Bishop
    That really triggers him.S

I am not here for that.
    I believe this quote and only go personal in a reciprocal way.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

If someone is a fool, I prefer to not bother with them.

Regards
    DL
  • Frank Apisa
    ↪Gnostic Christian Bishop
    Don't mind him. He wants to draw a false equivalence and pretend that it's 50/50. If he bothers you, you should call him an atheist or challenge his alleged credentials. That really triggers him.
    S

Awww...are your feeling hurt?

C'mon, grow up.
  • S
    I am not her for that.Gnostic Christian Bishop

Understood, my lady.
  • S
    feelingFrank Apisa

Does not compute.
  • Frank Apisa
    I am not her for that. — Gnostic Christian Bishop

Understood, my lady.
    S

My guess is you do not.
  • S
    My guess is you do not.Frank Apisa

I do not understood? :chin:
  • Frank Apisa
    feeling — Frank Apisa

Does not compute.
    S

Should have been "feelings."

I made a mistake. You are correct in pointing it out to me.

Sorry for the mistake.
  • Frank Apisa
    My guess is you do not. — Frank Apisa

I do not understood? :chin:
    S

Okay!
  • S
    Should have been "feelings."Frank Apisa

I still do not understood. What are "feelings"?
  • S
    "The evidence!"

What a laugh.

Identify two pieces of unambiguous evidence pointing one way or the other on the issue.
    Frank Apisa

The absence of evidence in favour of the existence of God is absence of evidence in favour of reasonable grounds for belief, and that is evidence for rejection. If you're okay with abandoning reason, then go ahead and believe in God, if you can. I cannot, because my reason prevents me. The alternative is called either atheism or agnosticism, but it's the same difference in this sense, although some people get their nickers in a twist over the terminology.
  • Frank Apisa
    Should have been "feelings." — Frank Apisa

I still do not understood. What are "feelings"?
    S

I understand.

Okay.
  • Frank Apisa
    "The evidence!"

What a laugh.

Identify two pieces of unambiguous evidence pointing one way or the other on the issue. — Frank Apisa

In terms of what's reasonable to believe, the absence of evidence in favour of the existence of God is absence of evidence in favour of reasonable grounds for belief, and that is evidence for rejection. If you're okay with abandoning reason, then go ahead and believe in God, if you can. I cannot, because my reason prevents me. The alternative is called either atheism or agnosticism, but it's the same difference in this sense, although some people get their nickers in a twist over the terminology.
    S

Yeah...like the lack of evidence that there are any sentient beings on any planet circling the nearest 25 stars to Sol...

...is evidence that no sentient beings live on any of those planets.

Good grief.

What are you doing in a philosophy forum?
  • S
    Yeah...like the lack of evidence that there are any sentient beings on any planet circling the nearest 25 stars to Sol...

...is evidence that no sentient beings live on any of those planets.

Good grief.

What are you doing in a philosophy forum?
    Frank Apisa

You must not have read what I said about what the evidence was for, or you just thought that it would be entertaining to attack a straw man. Perhaps you had blind faith that I meant something completely different to what I wrote. Are you a theist, perchance?
  • Louco
    Ideas are shareable thoughts.
    Faith are the coalesced ideas. Or perhaps the coalescing of ideas.
    Take gravity, for instance: we fall down when risen above the ground. This happens because of the faith in that what has risen, must fall.
    We can fly using planes and helicopters: it is the faith in scientific machines that makes them fly.
    They are true miracles: you can even tie up a profounder disbeliever (say, a mormon) and ship him in a plane to China. He will fly, oh yes.
    Consider the imperfect miracle of not being bitten by a snake: the snake might be accustomed to your handling, and will not bite. Your miracle is hidden in coincidence and "could be"s. Then faith is not what makes the miracle work, but what the miracle works in you: certainty about the impossible.
  • S
    Take gravity, for instance: we fall down when risen above the ground. This happens because of the faith in that what has risen, must fall.Louco

You're joking, right? Bodies do not fall to the ground because we have faith that they must. That's absurd.

We can fly using planes and helicopters: it is the faith in scientific machines that makes them fly.Louco

Haha! You're funny. I could've sworn I had filled the engine with fuel, not faith.
  • Louco
    That's absurd.S

What is not absurd? That small balls hit each other and that builds reality? Or that spirit becomes flesh?

Madness is just another option. Up to you to take it.
  • S
    What is not absurd? That small balls hit each other and that builds reality? Or that spirit becomes flesh?Louco

The former is not absurd. It is the result of a wealth of scientific evidence. The latter is religious mumbo-jumbo.

Madness is just another option. Up to you to take it.Louco

No, it isn't a choice for me. I cannot help but follow where reason leads me. Religious faith is just madness with widespread approval.
  • Louco
    Madness is to immerse oneself in one's imagination; it is to destroy reality, and build it anew, each breath one takes.
    You chose materialism, and I respect your choice. There are those who chose religion, and I respect their choice.
    But I do find it disrespectful to confound these things. Religious folk are the stiffeners of thought; madmen are facilitators of imagination. When you say religion is madness, you make a disservice to madness.
  • S
    Madness is to immerse oneself in one's imagination; it is to destroy reality, and build it anew, each breath one takes.Louco

That sounds like madness as put by a romantic poet. True madness isn't quite reflected in your pretty poetry.

There are those who chose religion, and I respect their choice.Louco

What's to respect about it?

But I do find it disrespectful to confound these things. Religious folk are the stiffeners of thought; madmen are facilitators of imagination. When you say religion is madness, you make a disservice to madness.Louco

It is somewhat of a paradox, it seems. They get carried away by their imagination, yet they're usually very unimaginative. They're usually a member of an organised religion, and feel the need to dogmatically conform.
  • Frank Apisa
    You must not have read what I said about what the evidence was for, or you just thought that it would be entertaining to attack a straw man. Perhaps you had blind faith that I meant something completely different to what I wrote. Are you a theist, perchance?S

I am NOT a theist...although I do not "believe" there are no gods.

And I am NOT an atheist...although I also do not "believe" there is at least one god.
  • DingoJones
    And I am NOT an atheist...although I also do not "believe" there is at least one god.Frank Apisa

In the name of baby jesus this is getting SO tiresome.
    Not believing in at least one god is what atheism means! You have just declared you are not an atheist by describing your atheism!
    Help me Odin, Zeus, Thor, Oprah, Hubberd...fucking anyone take my hand and guide me to where something so simple can be understood! Fuck!
    Is it just the internet?! Please oh holy god of holyness, tell me its just the internet and this isnt what passes for a critical thinking person in the world at large.
    Phew. Done. Carry on, sorry you had to be the back breaking straw frank, but THINK about what you are saying!
  • Frank Apisa
    And I am NOT an atheist...although I also do not "believe" there is at least one god. — Frank Apisa

Not believing in at least one god is what atheism means!
    DingoJones

No it doesn't.

You have just declared you are not an atheist by describing your atheism!

No, I haven't.

There are people who "believe" there is at least one god; there are people who "believe" there are no gods. I am not part of either group.

I am not a theist...and I also am not an atheist.

Help me Odin, Zeus, Thor, Oprah, Hubberd...fucking anyone take my hand and guide me to where something so simple can be understood! Fuck!
    Is it just the internet?! Please oh holy god of holyness, tell me its just the internet and this isnt what passes for a critical thinking person in the world at large.
    Phew. Done. Carry on, sorry you had to be the back breaking straw frank, but THINK about what you are saying!

I do think about what I am saying, Dingo. And you are just wrong here.

I am NOT a theist...and I also am NOT an atheist.

It is not a zero sum game. One does not have to be one or the other.
  • S
    Not believing in at least one god is what atheism means! You have just declared you are not an atheist by describing your atheism!
    DingoJones

Forget your logic. He simply does NOT like BEING CALLED an ATHEIST. Or a THEIST. It TRIGGERS him.

AND DON'T ACCUSE HIM OF SHOUTING!!! HE'S JUST EMPHASISING!!!!!!!111!!!!!!1!!ONE!!
  • Frank Apisa
    S

Phew. Done. Carry on, sorry you had to be the back breaking straw frank, but THINK about what you are saying! — DingoJones

Forget your logic. He simply does NOT like BEING CALLED an ATHEIST. Or a THEIST. It TRIGGERS him.

AND DON'T ACCUSE HIM OF SHOUTING!!! HE'S JUST EMPHASISING!!!!!!!111!!!!!!1!!ONE!!
    S

Someone IS being triggered, S...YOU.

Don't let me get to you so easily.

And call me anything you want. I am simply telling you I am not a theist nor an atheist. I also am not a Martian...but if you want to call me a Martian...go for it. I'll just tell you I am not.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.