• Terrapin Station
    As I understand it, competitive bodybuilding is massively unhealthy.Txastopher

Because of?
  • Shawn
    This is the male parallel of shaming the female body to sell stuff. Bring in all that feminist critique thereof and apply it here.Banno

All true; but, isn't that the kettle calling the pot back?
  • Shawn
    How so?Banno

Well, two wrongs don't really make a right, so calling the objectification of females by all males wouldn't constitute only a pot-kettle analogy but a gross overgeneralization too.

One does these things unconsciously, though, as their aptly called biases.
  • Terrapin Station
    The standard objectification shtick is nonsense anyway.
  • Banno
    Meh. That does not strike me as of much use in understanding what is going on. Rather it's the manipulation of images of the desirability of specific gender traits in order to sell stuff that is the issue. The strategies that worked so well on women for so long are now being applied to men; set an impossible goal and you can sell the gullible stuff for ever - or until they break.
  • Shawn
    Rather it's the manipulation of images of the desirability of specific gender traits in order to sell stuff that is the issue.Banno

Well, that is de facto the definition of objectification. Or at least applied objectification.
  • Shawn

Nevermind, I don't know where you're going with this. Just spill the beans already!
  • andrewk
    I don't see anything neurotic about someone taking up bodybuilding. It's just another sort of goal, and goals give meaning to our life. It does no harm to anybody else and, although a muscle-bound body-builder is less healthy than a lean athlete, I expect they are more healthy than if they were obese and sedentary.

Using drugs can be problematic, because of all the side effects. But I imagine bodybuilding without drugs could be as healthy and harmless as playing tennis or the cello.

Somebody said that a bodybuilder physique is considered the ideal. I don't think that's correct. Ancient Greek and Roman statues favour proportionate, healthy body types with sold, well-defined, but not overly large muscles. When I have discussed this with people that are attracted to men, that is the message I have received. My observation from these discussions is that the idealised body type is that of an Australian Rules footballer.

WalkerJump2004.jpg
  • Shawn

Interesting. So, the heart valve complications and issues with heart disease can' be mitigated in any way?
  • Banno
    That's not a mark.

This is a mark:
    Tayla+Harris+Women+AFL+Exhibition+Western+PI9Ks8AXy8nl.jpg
    Watch 'em fly! Wonderful stuff.

I don't see anything neurotic about someone taking up bodybuilding.andrewk

Yep. Unless bodybuilding is taken on as a way of stretching towards some notion of bodily perfection that is imposed by others. Then it is problematic.
  • Shawn
    Yep. Unless bodybuilding is taken on as a way of stretching towards some notion of bodily perfection that is imposed by others.Banno

Who's "others"?
  • Shawn
    Them.Banno

Who bay that be?
  • Banno
    bay?
    may.

This silly twisting of what was said does you proud.

SO is your point a profound rejection of existentialist thought that points to how there is never really an "other"?

Or are you just playing sillybuggers.
  • Shawn
    ↪WallBanno

Or are you just playing sillybuggers.Banno

dunno you tell me.
  • Banno
    Ah. It's a game of "last post wins"?
  • Shawn
    Ah. It's a game of "last post wins"?Banno

Whatever floats your boat.
  • Banno
    What would float my boat would be someone progressing the discussion...

Banno, the trouble with this sort of existential critique is that there never really is an "other". While each person develops their essence by their choices, each choice is made within a social context, a social construct. SO choosing to not be a body builder because it is inauthentic is as inauthentic as choosing to be a body builder; both fit in with the expectations of others; in the one case, those who would sell body building products; in the other, those who would sell existentialism. Being authentic is as ideal a goal as having the perfect body.Wallows

Now, if you had said that, I might have cause to stop and think. But instead...
  • Shawn
    Now, if you had said that, I might have cause to stop and think. But instead...Banno

So, I say that neurotic men congregate towards the attainment of a perfect body? What's wrong with that? Perhaps too much generalizing?
  • Txastopher
    As I understand it, competitive bodybuilding is massively unhealthy.
    — Txastopher

Because of?
    Terrapin Station

Because it cause some of those who engage in it to have serious health problems?
  • BC
    too much generalizing?Wallows

Human behavior is loaded with neuroticism. It just goes with the territory [of being human].

There is nothing inherently bad about spending hours at the gym sculpting one's physique. What might make it neurotic is the motivation. For instance, a man might be attempting to compensate for a low estimation of his personal worth by trying to make himself buff. Kind of neurotic. Someone else might engage in the same sculpting activity because he is a model and will get more jobs if he has the right physique.

Men who are jealous of other men who have gym-dandy physiques are neurotic.

I spent quite a bit of time on a nude beach one summer getting an all over tan. The act of undressing in public resolved all sorts of neurotic body issues. For somebody else, undressing in public might cause neuroses.

People are at least a little crazy. It's called the psychopathology of everyday life. People who eat compulsively. People who don't bathe, floss, shampoo, trim, etc. People who shoplift for excitement. People who engage in sex they don't want. People who won't have the sex they do want. Road rage. It's all crazy. Neurotic.
  • Terrapin Station
    Because it cause some of those who engage in it to have serious health problems?Txastopher

Examples?
  • Txastopher
    Because it cause some of those who engage in it to have serious health problems?
    — Txastopher

Examples?
    Terrapin Station

Examples
  • Terrapin Station

Which one of those would you say are good evidence of it being unhealthy?

If we're simply saying that it's possible to hurt yourself should you do particular things, that's true, but it's true of anything, including eating, walking to your bathroom, etc.
  • RegularGuy
    I hate it when someone in a discussion says, “Just Google it.” It’s as if he is saying, “I’m too lazy to cite examples to bolster my argument, so you should do the work for me.”
  • Terrapin Station

Yeah, and in this case it gives the impression of "I don't know--why don't you look it up! There must be something you could find that suggests what I just claimed if you look hard enough."
  • Hanover
    The OP asks if bodybuilders are poor neurotic men, which logically asks three combined questions: Are they poor, are they neurotic, AND are they men? As to the last question, it's clearly not, considering some bodybuilders are women, and the question being linked with the conjunctive, the question is properly answered in the negative.

Perhaps a uselessly technical reply, but one I am satisfied with.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.