• OpinionsMatter
    This question has puzzled many. How did we become what we have become? I propose that we evaluate the top five most believed theories to see if they have any connections, then consider that of which seem most likely.

5.The Clay Theory
    A model for the origin of life based on clay was forwarded by A. Graham Cairns-Smith of the University of Glasgow in 1985 and explored as a plausible illustration by several other scientists, including Richard Dawkins. Clay theory postulates that complex organic molecules arose gradually on a pre-existing, non-organic replication platform—silicate crystals in solution. Complexity in companion molecules developed as a function of selection pressures on types of clay crystal is then exapted to serve the replication of organic molecules independently of their silicate “launch stage”.

4.Theory of Consequtive Creation
    The idea of extinction paved the way for the theory of catastrophism or “consecutive creations”, one of the predecessors of the evolution theory. Catastrophism is the idea that Earth has been affected in the past by sudden, short-lived, violent events, possibly worldwide in scope. This view holds that the present is the key to the past, and that all things continue as they were from the beginning of the world. According to this theory, since each catastrophe completely destroyed the existing life, each new creation consisted of life form different from that of previous ones. French scientists Georges Cuvier (1769-1832) and Orbigney (1802 to 1837) were the main supporters of this theory.

3.Matrialistic Theory
    According this theory, the origin of life on earth is the result of a slow and gradual process of chemical evolution that probably occurred about 3.8 billion years ago. Chemical evolution refers to molecular evolution is the process of evolution at the scale of DNA, RNA, and proteins. Molecular evolution emerged as a scientific field in the 1960s as researchers from molecular biology, evolutionary biology and population genetics sought to understand recent discoveries on the structure and function of nucleic acids and protein. Some of the key topics that spurred development of the field have been the evolution of enzyme function, the use of nucleic acid divergence as a “molecular clock” to study species divergence, and the origin of noncoding DNA.

2.Organic Evolution
    Speciation stretches back over 3.5 billion years during which life has existed on earth. It is thought to occur in multiple ways such as slowly, steadily and gradually over time or rapidly from one long static state to another. Evolution (also known as biological or organic evolution) is the change over time in one or more inherited traits found in populations of organisms. Inherited traits are particular distinguishing characteristics, including anatomical, biochemical or behavioural characteristics, that are passed on from one generation to the next. Evolution has led to the diversification of all living organisms, which are described by Charles Darwin as “endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful”.

1. Theory of Special Creation
    According to this theory, all the different forms of life that occur today on planet earth, have been created by God, the almighty. Adam and Eve were, according to the Book of Genesis, Bible and Quran the first man and woman created by the God. Life on earth began from them according to Christians, Muslims and Jews. The 3 religions have a common agreement on the fact God created the universe in seven days, reserving for his sixth-day labor the climax of creation: man and woman. On the seventh day God rests and so establishes the holiness of the Sabbath. God fashioned a man from the dust and blows the breath of life into his nostrils, then planted a garden (the Garden of Eden) and caused to grow in the middle of the garden the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and the Tree of Life. God set the man in the garden “to work it and watch over it,” permitting him to eat from all the trees in the garden except the Tree of Knowledge, “for on the day you eat of it you shall surely die.” God brought the animals to the man for him to name. None of them were found to be a suitable companion for the man, so God caused the man to sleep and created a woman from a part of his body (Tradition describes the part as a rib). The Quran says that Adam initiated the fruit eating and that both Adam and Eve (Hawa) ate the forbidden fruit, for which God later forgave them, and then sent both of them down to earth as his representatives. The Hadith (the prophetic narrations) and literature shed light on the Muslim view of the first couple. The concept of original sin does not exist in Islam, as Adam and Eve were forgiven after they repented on Earth, according to the Quran. One of the differences between the Qur’an and the book of Genesis is that it does not recount the Genesis narrative in which Eve leads Adam to transgress God’s laws; they are simply both held responsible and thus sent to earth.

These are the top five most believed theories world wide, with number five being the least and number one the most, but what do YOU believe, and what evidence do you provide to prove it?
  • Possibility
    1, 3 and 5 as you’ve summarised them here refer to the origin of life, whereas 2 and 4 refer to a process of development towards the current state of the world, but appear to say very little, if anything, about the possible origin of life.

2 can therefore be combined with 3, for instance (and from memory, Darwin did propose something similar as the origin of organic evolution), without much contradiction. This is about where I sit at this point in my understanding, but mainly because I’m less familiar with 4 and 5 - although I wouldn’t deny them plausibility. As for 1, I think if you have to deny or reject scientific evidence in order to maintain the plausibility of your theory, then your theory’s in trouble.

I think it’s fair to say that none of the five are a complete theory of how the world began, owing to significant gaps in our (or is it only my?) knowledge. I’m holding out for a more comprehensive marrying of the evidence. My understanding of biology and chemistry is limited, so like many of us, I have to go on faith at this stage...
  • I like sushi
    There is a strak difference between a “theory” and a “scientific theory”. We’re not obliged to “believe” in scientific facts - and there are enough stacked up to present the theory of evolution in this manner.

Written stories in religious texts show us something of how the human mind works and how we appropriate ourselves in the “world”.
  • BC
    "How the world began, from YOUR perspective"

Alas, I wasn't around at the time to have a personal perspective on the world's beginning. Nobody else was either, as far as I know.

My guess is that #3 is the most likely. Life might have begun in seemingly life-hostile deep ocean vents, and perhaps had little semblance to later life forms. When I was in college (the 60s) the theory was that life began in warm mud on the surface. Scalding hot water, warm mud... maybe something entirely different. At any rate, # 3 seems to be most on the right track.

#1, divine creation, is hands down the best literary version of creation. There are others, but I think the Jewish authors and editors produced the most satisfying text. Christians commentators put too much emphasis on original sin, which they wanted to counterpose to Christ. That makes literary sense, but it leaves way too much unnecessary guilt in its wake.

On the other hand, a tour of any century will reveal enough atrocious behavior on our part to justify the theory of original sin. That humans are prone to error is the single most believable doctrine to come out of the Bible.
  • wax
    I believe the universe started as a corruption of a previous state...whatever that corruption was it seems to have made two but interacting forces and states..on the one had you have the so called material system, and on the other hand you have the non-corrupted system(which is sometimes known as the supernatural)...these systems can interact, and I do believe some of this earlier interaction formed the first self-reproducing cells....cells were then imbued with both systems, which then went on to evolve....I read that some of the earlier cells who were just dividing, tended to be around their nearest relatives, and clumping together, they found those cells that favoured clumping together and working together had a better survival rate, and this is how the first multicellular life forms came about, and those clumps went on to evolve into the higher life forms, still imbued with both systems.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.