• Judaka
    Usually, I believe in thinking for myself but that doesn't implicitly say what I am thinking about for myself. There is an assumption I make which is that I am not the only intelligent/sensible person in the universe. I'd like to believe that if I over many years gained expertise on something, sought to increase my knowledge, thought deeply about how to do that thing better and had demonstrable success myself or at instructing others then I'd know better after I did those things than I did when I started.

My assumption is also that I'm not the only person capable of doing this and if I can determine that someone has had demonstrable success, it's a product of a successful method. It's probably been improved over time throughout that person's life as they became more knowledgeable and poured more time into it. Depending on their level of success, this isn't just what I would be if I spent years trying to come up with what they have, it's much better than that as it makes sense that it's unlikely I'll be one of the best at whatever I set my mind to, life isn't that easy.

I recognise a need for introspection at an interpretative level, I recognise that after achieving a certain level of competence, which you know you have by showing good results, that you can start to deviate from just listening to experts.

The main objective of a critical thinker should be to learn to accurately determine who they should be listening to. What can be accomplished using logic, theories, interpretations and your own thoughts is not remotely comparable to what has already been achieved by others who are willing to share their results. If there can be an expert then besides finding the right expert and applying correctly their advice, you may have to do certain things like prioritising resources and some other small things but trying to figure out how to do it yourself is either recreational or a mistake.

There is much need for interpretative introspection, deciding what you want and how you intend to get it. After that though, the only thinking you should be doing is "how can I best achieve correctly following and accomplishing in this method which has had success?" Hoping to become someone worthy of actually formulating their own ideas, which might be valuable to themselves and others.

Do you agree? To what extent do you think people are doing this? And do you believe there are exceptions to what I've said?
  • T Clark
    So, what kind of expertise are we talking about? When I use the word, I generally mean technical understanding about a body of knowledge and how to apply it in the world. I'm an engineer with 30 years experience. I don't know if I would consider myself and expert, but I'm trained in the content of my discipline, I have applied it making decisions and judgments in the real world for an extended period of time, and I have been held accountable.

Are you talking about some sort of expertise in critical thinking? I'm not sure I believe in that. Critical thinking, reason, rationality are tools used by people to understand the world and to make judgments about what to do next.

Are you talking about expertise in philosophy? There certainly experts about the history and interpretations of philosophy. I would consider many of the people on this forum to be that kind of expert. That's not the same as being an expert philosopher. I guess I don't think that exists either. To me, philosophy is another tool, a box of tools actually, to help us understand what we see. The tools have been crafted by really smart people for thousands of years.

The heart of the search for knowledge is our own perceptions of the world. I will roll out a couple of my favorite quotes, which I've probably overused in the past, but I've been gone for a while.

"To believe our own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, -- that is genius. Speak your latent conviction, and it shall be the universal sense; for the inmost in due time becomes the outmost,--and our first thought, is rendered back to us by the trumpets of the Last Judgment. " Emerson, Self-Reliance

"It is not necessary that you leave the house. Remain at your table and listen. Do not even listen, only wait. Do not even wait, be wholly still and alone. The world will present itself to you for its unmasking, it can do no other, in ecstasy it will writhe at your feet." Kafka

So, we pick the philosophical tools that we find most compatible with how we see the world. They can help us see deeper into the implications of what we already believe. They can also help us look in a new direction, see things we haven't seen before. The important thing is that we choose which tools to put into our tool box based on what is useful to us.
  • Judaka

I am referring to expertise where it is possible to show results with your expertise. A political pundit or historian or a philosopher, might struggle to do that, what does "show results" mean? I am sure that belief of "results" in philosophy would be a philosophical position... kind of makes the whole thing impossible.

So basically, no, I am not talking about expertise in critical thinking, engineering is also a tough one because the average person knows that they know nothing about engineering.

Better examples are like managing your money, decorating your house for sale, finding an exercise routine, learning a sport/skill and so on. Where people could imagine their own understanding/reasoning to be sufficient.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment